Spod 4x4 electrical management system - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 25th, 2015, 12:32 PM
vasily
Vasily
97 D90 SW

Registry
Spod 4x4 electrical management system

I'm liking what I find about the spod system. I can hook my lights up to it now and when I get an sir compressor, lockers, fridge and so on, all the corvette will be in place.

Has anyone successfully installed one on a D90? Where did you mount the switch panel and the relay/fuse assembly?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 25th, 2015, 01:28 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Looks like an interesting product for the person that does not want to mess with their own wiring.

http://www.4x4spod.com/product_p/700-mod.htm
Old January 25th, 2015, 01:31 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Huge money for a bank of switches.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 25th, 2015, 01:45 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

I think the value for the non DIY type person comes into play with the source part of it where you get one area with all of your relays fuses and connections instead of a bunch of different harnesses from different companies or having to make your own.

Also nice that they put in a low voltage cutoff.
Old January 27th, 2015, 09:18 AM
vasily
Vasily
97 D90 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_lucas View Post
I think the value for the non DIY type person comes into play with the source part of it where you get one area with all of your relays fuses and connections instead of a bunch of different harnesses from different companies or having to make your own.

Also nice that they put in a low voltage cutoff.
Pretty much describes me.

I was curious about what a finished install might look like in a Defender.
Old January 27th, 2015, 10:34 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
I'm not a big fan of the switch holders that Carlingswitch makes. They are injection molded modular housings that slide together to form gangs of two or more switches. The Carling switches have these serrated grabber deals molded into the switch housing which is supposed to lock the switch in place in the holder. Thing is that the plastic is really soft on both the switch and the holder. The switches always feel loose and like they're about to fall out. On overhead applications I have no doubt they will.
Far better is either a hard plastic or metal switch panel with the right-size cutouts for the switches so that the grabbers get a good hold.

And as Dave sez, there's about $60 worth of componentry all together showing in that kit. I suppose it's worth the dough if you don't know how to wire stuff up, but that knowledge is free for the taking via the web, your public library and from helpful folks like you find on this forum.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old January 27th, 2015, 10:36 PM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

SPOD's are hugely popular in jeep land. (i'm going to get one) mostly b/c the new jeeps are pretty sensitive to pulling voltage off of anything except the Cig lighter circuit.
The only issue i see with a SPOD in a defender is where to locate the switches if you don't have a MudUK dash panel or Mini POD or the like. If you just buy the source its not that expensive relitively and you can wire up the switches pretty easy where ever you put them.

Other than that its a solid product.

Like i said - i'm getting one for the jeep and probably a source for the Defender if i need more stuff than i have now. I also have a homemade one in a pelican type box that a friend was experimenting with, it works but over heats in the sealed box so its pretty much useless.

95' D90 - daily driver..
Old January 28th, 2015, 07:45 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
This may be an alternative if you don't mind a little creative fabrication:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthr...Control-Panels

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old January 28th, 2015, 08:24 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Can you post the photos here? I don't wanna join that forum just to see them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDSUX View Post
This may be an alternative if you don't mind a little creative fabrication:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthr...Control-Panels
Old January 28th, 2015, 09:13 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Yes please post the pics I am in Denver where this person is located and would like to see what they are.

For the people that are saying how easy it is to build something like this for little money I would be interested in seeing your recommendation for components.

I can make something that will work close to the same way for not too much money but I would just be using a blue sea box with a bunch of wires and relays and it would not be nearly as compact or clean as this setup.

Maybe there are some off the shelf components that I am not aware of that would help keep it clean and tidy? I am genuinely interested as I am getting to that point on my build where I need to wire all of the accessories and am a bit of a neat freak about wiring and stuff.

Not plug and play but bussman makes a relay / fuse block that looks like a nice starting point to keep things clean.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...s-spod-ha.html
Old January 28th, 2015, 11:23 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
I think I have also seen that joystick controlled Go Light for sale on eBay.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	112181   Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	112182  

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	112183   Click image for larger version

Name:	9.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	112184  

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	112185   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 5.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	112186  

Name:	photo 4.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	112187   Click image for larger version

Name:	11.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	112188  

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
4x4, electrical