Split tailgate for 110 project - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 9th, 2016, 05:47 AM
rfurzer
russell
perentie

Split tailgate for 110 project

Gday

I have a perentie that i'm "demilitarising" and doing a conversion to a similar era 5 door.

Thing is - I want a series type lift up upper tailgate and horizontal swing out lower.

I'm all over the lower half and can fit a "small window" upper "lid" if needed BUT there were a tiny rare handful of Perentie hardtops with lift-up tailgates - specified for the Salvation Army no less.

I have a low-res photo but no detail. The glass is normal defender size and there is the series-style t-handle on the outside.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has made up a lift up tailgate to suit the use of a defender glass - perhaps a modified cut-in-half defender door?

Russ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 9th, 2016, 07:02 AM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

Why reinvent the wheel- just get a Series lift gate, or a Defender 'Tupperware' top lift gate?? I have a Tithonus, and am fitting tailgate/lift gate in such fashion.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 9th, 2016, 08:40 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Tupperware! Lol. Great description of the plastic top.
It's the hinges for the upper piece that are difficult to find.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 9th, 2016, 08:52 AM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfurzer View Post
Gday

I have a perentie that i'm "demilitarising" and doing a conversion to a similar era 5 door.

Thing is - I want a series type lift up upper tailgate and horizontal swing out lower.

I'm all over the lower half and can fit a "small window" upper "lid" if needed BUT there were a tiny rare handful of Perentie hardtops with lift-up tailgates - specified for the Salvation Army no less.

I have a low-res photo but no detail. The glass is normal defender size and there is the series-style t-handle on the outside.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has made up a lift up tailgate to suit the use of a defender glass - perhaps a modified cut-in-half defender door?

Russ
From the photos I have seen of the Salvation Army 110's they are not normal series lift gates, as the the (upper) hinges are on the outside which is not how it is on a series. I would bet that they used a Upper half of a rear door and converted it to hinge up.

If I were you I would get a series rear door cheap locally, cut it in half, and have 2 hinges on it so it opens like a normal rear door, and make a custom latch to hold it closed. It will be your cheapest option to get your desired setup. People have done this before, I just have no photos right now.
Old January 9th, 2016, 05:20 PM
rfurzer
russell
perentie

Thanks

Thanks guys.

I've not heard of a plasticky defender door - Tupperware!

I'd sure like to see some more photos of the sallyman

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
110, tailgate