Spinning Clutch - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 18th, 2007, 03:31 PM
csidriver
Rick S
1994 D90

Spinning Clutch

Newby owner. I bought my 94 D90 last December and had the clutch replaced. I've started driving it lately in the last few months since the weather has been nice and I noticed after driving over 30 minutes or so the clutch would start slipping. When I park the car after several minutes the truck would drive fine again. This repeats itself off and on. Sometimes I do smell burning oil ..(maybe tranny oil on the clutch?)

Is this a symptom of a leaking rear main seal or a defective a clutch.

Oh I started to notice that 1st and 2nd gear is starting grind when shifting. 2nd gear always was a bitch. I've heard this was a common thing w/ D90's?

Thanks ahead of time for your input.

Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 19th, 2007, 09:26 PM
csidriver
Rick S
1994 D90

I'll try some Amsoil and see what happens. BTW, I did not see any major leakage other than the usual below.
Old June 20th, 2007, 08:28 AM
Cirbo
Jim C.
None

How's the fluid level in the clutch master? This could cause the grinding, but unlikely to cause the slipping when in gear. Is there anything coming out of the drain hole on the bottom of the bell housing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 20th, 2007, 01:03 PM
LRover
J. Michael McCaig
D90 ST, LR110, Series IIa, RRC

It could be that the clutch is "pumping up". There may be a problem with the clutch master cylinder not releasing pressure all the way and every time you use the clutch the slave cylinder stays pressurized to some degree until the clutch starts to slip.
Old June 20th, 2007, 04:10 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

LRover has it correct.

Make sure that the free play on the master is correct. Is should have 1/2in or so (look up the spec) of free play or else it will pump up and slip.
Old June 20th, 2007, 05:18 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Is it possible that the slave is squirting a little fluid onto the clutch when he presses it? If the slave is leaking it could cause it to grind by not fully releasing it when it is depressed but if it is squirting in the bellhousing it could also be causing a film of brake fluid on the friction surface. Just a thought.
Old June 20th, 2007, 06:02 PM
csidriver
Rick S
1994 D90

I will look at these suggestions this weekend. I'll keep you posted. In the mean time, in the back of my mind I am thinkin that my synchros are getting trashed each time this happens...so maybe a rebuild down the road for my R380? Does anyone have a good source for a rebuild kit..seals , washers and most importantly the synchro's. I hope this is not too complicated a job. The last time I did this was when I rebuilt my 69 Mustang GT's 4 speed toploader ... in high school! That's a long time ago :-)
Oh... My clutch fluid was an inch low from thhe top and I will park my truck after I drive it onto a clean concrete pad to see for any tell tale leaks...motor oil or clutch. I have a gravel driveway so I can't see squat.

You guys are great, thanks for the input!
Old June 21st, 2007, 08:35 AM
Cirbo
Jim C.
None

The slave sits off to one side of the clutch plate, but Andrew may have an idea there. You might be smelling brake fluid exiting the slave and landing on the clutch. If it's burning, you may not see anything coming out of the bottom of the bell housing.

Rob Dassler (roadside Rob) on this list rebuilds transmissions and transfer cases. (should you not want to try yourself)

jC
Old September 19th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

I just saw this post, and I have the same problem now that I just put on a new clutch, so I'm gonna go remove the cover and go put some play on the damn rod because I just remembered that I tightened the two nuts too tight without putting any play on it. Thanks everyone for this post n of course LRover n <3 Ron <3

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley
I just saw this post, and I have the same problem now that I just put on a new clutch, so I'm gonna go remove the cover and go put some play on the damn rod because I just remembered that I tightened the two nuts too tight without putting any play on it. Thanks everyone for this post n of course LRover n <3 Ron <3
As far as that burning smell that folks were talking about here, I think thats just the smell of the clutch being burnt when it slips.

Robert Deniro
Old September 20th, 2009, 05:48 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
When a clutch slave cylinder leaks it tends to fail pretty comprehensively and quite fast, there's not that much fluid in the system. The spinning flywheel would tend to throw the oil away from the clutch plate. a failing main seal in the gear box will pump oil straight into the centre of the clutch and then all over the plate (been there) It'll slip like crazy going up a long incline but is OK at light throttle openings. There'll be black oil coming out the drain hole which might lead you to think engine, There's no way for engine oil to get to the clutch plate without the drain plug being in.
Old September 21st, 2009, 02:42 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Yeah, just to let anyone who searches this thread know that this adjustment fixed my clutch slip, everyone should go outside and make sure there is some play in their clutch MC shaft or else you could be shortening the life of your clutch not to mention power loss.

Robert Deniro
Old September 21st, 2009, 02:52 PM
evilfij
evilfij

A perfect you're welcome would be some pics Neil, if you know what I mean.
Old September 21st, 2009, 03:54 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
A perfect you're welcome would be some pics Neil, if you know what I mean.
Oh you mean pics like these?
Attached Images
File Type: bmp resized jess.bmp (900.1 KB, 105 views)
File Type: bmp ivy resized.bmp (900.1 KB, 91 views)

Robert Deniro
Old September 21st, 2009, 04:06 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Awe ya.
Old September 21st, 2009, 04:23 PM
rover26c
Lee
1994 D90 ST

ohh shoot my virgin eyes
Old January 30th, 2011, 08:28 PM
ttegt
Thomas Tegtmeier
1995 Defender 90

clutch pumping up....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRover View Post
It could be that the clutch is "pumping up". There may be a problem with the clutch master cylinder not releasing pressure all the way and every time you use the clutch the slave cylinder stays pressurized to some degree until the clutch starts to slip.
What causes the clutch to pump up? I replaced my clutch at 140000 miles. No adjustments or anything until 140 k Had the clutch replaced, after about 6000 miles of driving fine, it started slipping as stated in this thread. I adjusted the mc shaft as mentioned and seems to have fixed things. are adjustments on going or was it not set proper from the start?
Thanks in advance for your advice
Old January 31st, 2011, 07:51 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Probably was not set right when the MC was replaced.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
clutch