speedometer not working - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 25th, 2011, 09:06 AM
TexasD-90
Martin Spencer
1994 D-90

speedometer not working

Some of you may have read and responded to my post about shredding my rear diff (thanks for the help). The same time that happened, I lost my speedometer and my odometer. Any suggestions? The cable was replaced in May, and is attached firmly to the speedometer gage itself. What should I check next?
Advertisement

Old January 25th, 2011, 09:08 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
take the speedo head off ... drive down the road and see if it's turning ... that way you can check the the lower components are working.
Old January 27th, 2011, 02:01 PM
Defender90_218
Trenton Smith
1997 D90

When I blew my windshield wiper fuse, it killed all my gauges. These things are wired kinda nutty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 27th, 2011, 02:58 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

There's two cables. One from the speedo head to the VSS transducer, then another from the transducer to the transfer case.

The transducer is under the truck, on top of the transfer case crossmember. Hard to spot unless you follow the cable, it's well hidden in there.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old January 27th, 2011, 03:14 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender90_218 View Post
When I blew my windshield wiper fuse, it killed all my gauges. These things are wired kinda nutty.
in a 97 the speedo is electronic ... in a 94 and 95 it runs with a cable.

if you look on the frame under the drivers seat you'll find the cable, transducer and cable connecting to the transfer box. But i's definitely remove the speedo head and check that the cable spins when you drive ...

I repaired my cable with a $5 cable center from autozone ...
Old June 1st, 2011, 06:45 PM
j0nny216
Jon Kleppel
1994 D90

I need to revive this thread... I understand the two seperate cables and all that (I replaced my upper cable in Feb) but what are the two wires that go into the transducer? I tried to follow them but lose them somewhere in the engine bay. I parked my truck for 4 days and it was running fine, but when I started it up after it sat there the speedo was dead (the truck is a 1994 with 150xxx miles) and now the truck wants to stall every once in a while and it is just running crappy... any ideas? Oh and the check engine light came on, and I messed with some stuff, reset the ECU drove it a little bit, it stalled but the light has not come back on (yet).

Thanks Guys

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
speedo