Speedometer issues - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 1st, 2007, 12:31 PM
Erimus 1
Neil McLeod
97 D90 NAS

Speedometer issues

I looked on the site to see if anyone has had a similar problem but to no avail.

A couple of days ago I was in my D-90 and my Speedo started to go haywire. I was unable to guage my speed as the dial stopped functioning and my mileage indicator went blank. Anyhow, got the truck home and then went out in it the next day hoping it was just a bad dream and that it was all in my head. Low and behold, the mileage indicator was still blank but at least the dial was functioning. Several trips later and it's still the case that I am able to guage my speed but the electronic mileage indicator is still not working.

So, is there a simple solution or will I have to move heaven and earth to get this corrected? I'd prefer to stay as close to stock as possible, so I don't want to put a new speedo in etc unless it is a genuine LR part(s).

That said, I could allow my arm to be twisted.

Cheerz,

Neil
Advertisement

Old April 1st, 2007, 01:20 PM
oldscratchggf
nate
95 d90

You really wont regret going with the VDO. They look just as clean/ sharp as the stock gauges.
Old April 1st, 2007, 04:02 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

That speedo has a semi-common problem with an internal ribbon cable connector failing, causing all sorts of issues such as the ones you describe.

I have a 94, so my situation is different, but supposedly the VDO Vision connects in using your existing sensor and is a very nice improvement over the stock piece. But it does look similar enough that it looks proper in the dash.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 1st, 2007, 04:36 PM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
There is also a thread on here that explains how to repair it yourself. You can search for it under "spedometer" or "odometer" and you will eventually find it. I have repaired two following these instructions. Of coarse, they are not 100% trouble free all the time. Most of the time they work as they should since I repaired them but sometimes they have episodes of blinking and random half numbers appearing. This is a common issue with 97's.

97 D90 SW
Old April 1st, 2007, 09:03 PM
Erimus 1
Neil McLeod
97 D90 NAS

I guess I'll have to go for the VDO with all the glowing praises this unit gets. I shall use D-90.com for fitting instructions.
Cheers Chaps.
Old April 2nd, 2007, 02:12 AM
BarryO
Barry O'Mahony
97 D-90 SW LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldscratchggf
You really wont regret going with the VDO. They look just as clean/ sharp as the stock gauges.
Uh, the stock gauge on the '97's is a VDO!

So was the one on my old Porsche, that flaked out the same way(?).

Despite their reputation, my track record with VDO speedos has not been stellar.
Old April 2nd, 2007, 10:26 AM
Erimus 1
Neil McLeod
97 D90 NAS

There goes that damn spanner!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
speedo