Speedometer clicking - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 23rd, 2010, 10:56 AM
mlorman
Mark Lorman
95 ST #2782

Speedometer clicking

Anyone know what might be causing my speedometer to click at all speeds? The needle also jumps around as the speedometer makes it lovely clicking noise!!! Truck is 95ST.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 23rd, 2010, 11:31 AM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Could the drive at the top end of the speedo cable be stripped and spinning?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old February 23rd, 2010, 11:37 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Most likely source is like Andrew said, a bad connection between the cable and the speedo.

The less likely, and need to send it out for repair, is the magnetic bell inside the gauge is rubbing or out of alignment. Not a home repair for 99% of us. But a good speedo shop can do it.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 23rd, 2010, 11:54 AM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

If the speedo itself is shot I'd strongly consider fitting an Autometer or VDO speedo, they use a hall-effect sender and wire vs a cable which also means no more of the "you're sort of going at about this, no that, no this" speed jumping around and no cable to wear out. (Though I do have one brand new cable I'm not going to be using if that is what you need, actually will eventually have the stock speedo too, that's the last Autometer gauge I need to get ordered.)

- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old February 23rd, 2010, 12:59 PM
mlorman
Mark Lorman
95 ST #2782

Will do some investigation this weekend. Thanks for the ideas
Old February 23rd, 2010, 02:18 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
You may find that the cable is not fully pushed into the back of the speedo ... that causes clicking

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
speedo