Speedo woes... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 23rd, 2008, 11:27 AM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
Speedo woes...

So after getting a CEL and code 68 a couple weeks ago I finally bit the bullet and bought a new "speed transducer" from rovers north. I installed it this weekend and found out that unfortunately the new sensor did not fix the problem. I cleared the code and have yet to see the check engine light come back on, but the speedometer still doesn't move.

After finding that my fix didn't work I was playing with the cables going into the sensor and accidentally pulled the connector off the cable from the speedo. So now I guess I need to track down a new speedo cable (hopefully not too $$$). Anyone have any ideas why my speedometer still isn't working??

One thing I was thinking was that the actual cable from the transfer case that goes into the sensor doesn't stick into the sensor nearly as far as the cable on the other side -from the speedo. Any votes for that cable not being in far enough to engage the sensor??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 23rd, 2008, 11:50 AM
oldscratchggf
nate
95 d90

... there could be nothing wrong with the cable- the speedometer could just be dead. the speedometer on my old `95 just crapped out one day, and I know it has happened to others as well.

Gives you excuse to do the VDO gauge install. huge improvement IMO.
Old June 23rd, 2008, 12:16 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
I suggest testing things first.....then replacing......

Take the speedo out, move the truck a bit and see is the speedo end of the cable it turning. If not trace back down the cables to see where drive s lost.

Stick something in the input to the speedo and spin it, does the needle move?

If something IS broken, as suggested, look at the going with an electronic VDO before spending money. They are much nicer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 23rd, 2008, 12:18 PM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
good idea John, I'll give that a shot.

-Mike
Old July 3rd, 2008, 05:40 PM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
Just an update for anyone else with similar issues in the future: I found that the short "lower" speedo cable actually broke off in the sensor. So after replacing both the upper and lower cables (the lower one was awful to secure in the transfer case) the speedometer works like a charm. It's actually much better and without the wobble that the needle used to have now.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
speedo