Speedo Piinion Trouble - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 7th, 2014, 05:18 PM
moose
Brett
Ex-Mod Tdi 110 Hard Top

Registry
Speedo Piinion Trouble

Yes, another speedo question, but this time it concerns the other end. My speedo stopped working. Assumed it was a busted cable. When I removed the cable I found that it was totally seized. Then, when I peered into where the cable attaches to the transfer box, I could see the bit where the square cable slides into was busted.

Looked through several manuals and the only info I could really find was this.

The following operation can be carried out with the gearbox in the vehicle...

Renew the speedometer drive pinion
1. Raise the vehicle on a ramp
2. Remove the speedometer drive clamp and nut and withdraw the cable
3. Prise out the drive pinion assembly
4. Push in a new assembly and fit the speedometer cable and secure with the clamp and nut.

OK, sounds easy enough but which part am I prying out and how exactly do I do that?

Any and all suggestions welcome.

Brett

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 11th, 2014, 07:16 PM
moose
Brett
Ex-Mod Tdi 110 Hard Top

Registry
Well, thought I would update this post for posterity sake should some one, some day, do a search on the removing the speedo pinion and gear.

The manual says pry out the pinion. Easier said then done. Mine took lots penetrating oil followed by plenty of tapping, banging, hitting, levering and swearing until I was finally able to use some vise grips and remove the little bugger. Oh, and I also had to remove the parking brake backing plate to get some decent access to everything.

Funny thing is, that gear should be blue for a 110. Yellow is for a 90 with 205 x 16 tyres. I guess my 110 will be much faster once I get the proper gear in there.

Brett

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
speedo