speedo/odometer cable 'snap'... ? temp vs permanent fix - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 15th, 2011, 10:02 PM
Knife90
john sabra
'94 Defender 90

speedo/odometer cable 'snap'... ? temp vs permanent fix

I pulled the instrument panel out this weekend to install switches for my new lights, which worked like a charm first try. While patting myself on my back for a job well-done, and driving around with a big smile, I noticed the speedo/odometer stopped working.
Pulled the panel and saw the issue with outer cable snapped off back of speedo, with inner wire intact. did a temporary fix with electrical tape, and working fine now.
Questions:
-how involved is a "permanent" fix for this, i.e., do i need an entire new cable which i'll need to run all the way to transfer case, etc...?
-should i be content with temp fix, or is this considered "odometer tampering"?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dash1.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	35840   Click image for larger version

Name:	dash2.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	35841  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 15th, 2011, 11:39 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I would not consider it odometer tampering unless you leave it not working for an extended period of time. However I doubt the fix will hold for long - maybe a hot glue gun or something might. But it's a 2 piece cable and you just need the upper one. It's relatively cheap and easy to install. The other end goes to the VSS which is directly below the driver inside the frame rail.

hth
charles
Old February 16th, 2011, 08:03 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
That metal collar slides back ... you maybe able to remove and effect a better repair ... odometer tampering is changing the reading for financial gain .... this is just a broken part on a Defender!!

As charles points out the replacement is very easy ... new cable about $100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 16th, 2011, 08:14 AM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I had this same thing happen to me and bit the bullet for the new cable. Whole fix (instrument cluster was already out) took less than an hour.

Side bar to this is if you ever want to change/upgrade to an aftermarket speedo like the VDO unit, save that broken cable!
Old February 16th, 2011, 01:40 PM
Knife90
john sabra
'94 Defender 90

thanks for the advice guys. i think i'll try to slide that collar back first and re-fit, but if its a pain will likely just replace.
..good point about the 'broken part' vs 'tampering... i think i'm a little paranoid as i have super-low miles and dont want anything to ever give the appearance of tampering.
Old March 1st, 2011, 11:54 AM
bd90
Brian
94 Arles Blue #1644

This exact thing just happened to me after removing instrum. cluster to install the binnacle I just got from SafariDust. In addition to the broken connection at the speedometer like John's, mine also came loose at the transducer. I know I'll have to replace the Speedo cable but I don't have a clue how to remove the old one at EITHER end. On the speedo side I've tugged and twisted about every way I can think of and it won't come out. On the lower end I really haven't tried anything. Just wanted to get some instruction here on how to detach the cable. Any help would be appreciated.
Old March 1st, 2011, 12:25 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Lower end is a metal collar that unscrews ... totally obvious when you look ... at least it was to me anyway!

Top cable plastic fitting is removed by a pulling in the direction of the cable away from the speedo head. Make sure removing the bottom may make this easier as it will introduce some slack in the cable. I've never had a problem ... but mine has a small broken bit.

Those metal binnacles are brilliant ... I bought a different brand from the UK ... but great upgrade!!
Old March 1st, 2011, 01:50 PM
bd90
Brian
94 Arles Blue #1644

Tried that and it will not come off. I'm afraid of damaging something if I pull any harder. Must be something that I'm missing. Might just wait until the new one comes in and see if that yields any more clues.
Old March 1st, 2011, 03:02 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
try this ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dash2.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	36314  
Old March 1st, 2011, 03:11 PM
bd90
Brian
94 Arles Blue #1644

Thanks for the elaborate diagram. I was just outside messing with this and was going to try what you just showed me. But first I tried a pair of needle nose pliers between the white cable collar and the speedo housing and put some pressure on it until it was pried off. I thought I broke it at first but it appears to be OK. Thanks again for the pics. Wish you hadn't gone to all that trouble. The lower end came off easier than I thought also.
Old March 1st, 2011, 03:22 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
No worries ... happy to help ... it was a diversion from rambling in a Power Point presentation i'm supposed to be working on!
Old March 1st, 2011, 11:21 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

There are a few places where some JBquik or epoxy putty would really improve the durability and that might just be one of them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
speedo