Speedo Jumping - Odometer is OK - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 6th, 2010, 09:36 AM
Krna
Andy Krna
1997 D-90 ST AA Yellow

Speedo Jumping - Odometer is OK

Hey guys,

I searched around the forum, and found a lot of information regarding Odometers that jump around or display odd information (including on the ECR site), but not much about jumping speedometers.

This morning my speedo started to jump around the dial. I was going 45, and it started to jump between 40 and 45, then it dropped to 30, moved back up into the 40s, and then dropped to 0. It did this my whole drive to work.

Is this something that is an easy fix? Would prefer to fix than get a VDO (can you keep original mileage with VDO?). I have Paul and Erich nearby at British Rover, is this something those guys could fix?

Thanks,

Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 6th, 2010, 11:53 AM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

My '97 does the same thing. On start-up, it tic,tic,tic's around 0 then jumps all the way to max speed, back to zero and the operates fine....well most of the time. Sometimes it will do this floating routine and bobble around from 30-ish to 65-ish. Been doing this since 2002. When it does the float routine, I turn on my park lights and it stops and goes to the correct speed. I've always felt it was a grounding problem or something in the alternator that's causing the problem. I re-did all the grounding points for the instrument cluster, but nothing changed. My local speedometer shop said it was most likely a grounding problem.

Dennis
Old April 7th, 2010, 10:39 AM
Gren_T
Gren Thomas
1985 90 300tdi auto

Hi Andy if you have a mech speedo it is normally the speedo drive cable from the box to the speedo head the inner cable is rubbing and causes the needle to "twitch".

also this is caused by the cable getting pulled or twisted after work in the back of the engine or the dash.

used to be a common problem in the early 90/110 that had a 2 piece speedo cable.
easy home fix but need piano players fingers to release the cable lock from the back of the speedo head.

if it is a later TD5 or electronic speedo check for a bad earth or cracks in the plastic on the sender sensor on the box

regards

Gren
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 7th, 2010, 10:50 AM
Krna
Andy Krna
1997 D-90 ST AA Yellow

Thanks guys,

Driving home last night with the lights on, it was not a problem. This leads me to think it is probably similar to Dennis' issue.

Andy
Old October 24th, 2015, 02:03 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Andy,
Were you ever able to resolve this "wondering" problem ?

Over a year ago I had Hollywood Speedometer fix the shaky odometer & informed them of this wondering issue and they felt it was the alternator too.

I switched out my alternator for a new unit about 2 months ago and in about 2500 miles, the speedometer began behaving the same as the old one which had about 150K miles on it.

I'm now wondering now if it might be a Transducer problem ( pt# YBE100540 ) or possibly a wiring issue?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
speedo