Speed sensor - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 13th, 2012, 08:54 PM
bhtaco21
Butch Hamlet
95 NAS Defender 90

Speed sensor

Does a 95 NAS Defender have a speed sensor? Going to install a cruise control and wondering if there is a signal already there somewhere to pick up speed. Can always do the magnet on driveshaft thing, but would rather not.
Thanks,
Butch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 13th, 2012, 09:59 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Cruise control huh, what are you using?
Old February 13th, 2012, 10:40 PM
bhtaco21
Butch Hamlet
95 NAS Defender 90

Audiovox CCS 100. Actually, it is sold as another brand name (can't recall name right now), but made by the same factory as the CCS 100. Same parts and pieces. Do an eBay search for CCS 100 and it brings back the one I got, or at least it did six months ago.

------ Follow up post added February 13th, 2012 10:47 PM ------

Jeff,
Thanks for the reply. So, it's an electronic sensor, maybe sending a signal to ECU? Do you think I can jumper off to supply speed to the cruise control? I was near that area checking out the speedo cable sometime back but don't remember seeing anything that looked like a sensor. But I wasn't looking for it either. Any more description on exactly what it looks like and exactly where it is would be helpful.
Thanks
Butch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 14th, 2012, 10:05 AM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

The road speed sensor on the 1995 is inline in the speedo cable and is attached to the frame on the drivers side under the transmission mount bolt. It is a gold colored box a couple of inches square that the 2 speedometer cables run into. It has 2 wires, yellow & green. Green is B+ with the key on, yellow is the output. The yellow wire goes to the ECU for a road speed input and also to the emission maintenance reminder box behind the instrument cluster. I would tap into it there.
Old February 14th, 2012, 11:26 AM
bhtaco21
Butch Hamlet
95 NAS Defender 90

Thanks Rob. Perfect!
Old March 12th, 2012, 10:29 PM
bhtaco21
Butch Hamlet
95 NAS Defender 90

Update to cruise control

Installing a cruise control on these things is a piece of cake. Get an Audiovox CCS100, or equivalent ($175 or less). Under the hood, tap into vacuum, tap into brake light switch at the master cylinder, tap into power(one place is the power feed wire at the brake light switch)hook a ground, mount the control unit (servo unit), mount up the throttle linkage, and tie into the speed sensor signal under the truck beneath the driver seat. Inside the vehicle, tie into power, ground, instrument lights, and route wires from under hood into the interior. Works great! Seems to do a better job maintaining speed up those steep hills than I do. Well worth the effort, especially if you spend much time at constant speed.

Would be happy to help anyone over the phone or messaging to figure it all out.

Butch
Old March 12th, 2012, 10:57 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

I've had one on mine since 2000, even works on the 300tdi. The speed sensor tap is great, makes the install very simple. Very reliable unit. Mine cost about $125 back then.

Surprised to see the unit back on the market, they'd been gone for quite awhile.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
sensor