Speakers in a 110 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 17th, 2007, 07:13 PM
mpsteil
Michael Steil
NAS 110#23,97 ST#665

Speakers in a 110

Does anyone here know if a 93 NAS 110 stock speakers share a common ground like some of the old RR. I tried hooking up a new deck and amp by tapping into the speaker wires from the factory harness and cant get sound accept for one speaker(front left). And even then it barely makes much sound.

Thanks, Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 17th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

I ran new wires! BUT the rear location sux anywho
Old October 17th, 2007, 10:08 PM
mpsteil
Michael Steil
NAS 110#23,97 ST#665

Peter, did you find a speaker to fit in the factory hole in the front(lower dash)? And do you know what size speaker will fit in factory rear location. Gonna follow your lead and pull new wires, tried for to long to figure out the factory stuff and had no luck. Thanks, Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 17th, 2007, 10:14 PM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

Not much room in there. the mag on the speaker will stick the flap for the duct. I have forgotn the size I used but same as stock 3.5 i think. I also shimed out the spek so it didn't hit the flap. its been a long time!!!
Old October 23rd, 2007, 04:07 PM
R. Kurk
Richard Kurk
1993 110 NAS #489

Delayed response, but I hope this information is of help. I installed a new radio in my 110 recently and used the existing wiring to the speakers. They do not share a common ground. However, I had a problem with the rear speakers and getting them to work. The leads from the existing LR stock radio for the rear speakers run to the amplifier unit, and then from the amplifier to the rear speakers. At least on my truck the wires (again rear speakers only) shared a common lead (effectively a shared ground) from the radio to the amp. The new radio did not like this 'common/shared' connection and no sound came through. I found the wires leading out of the amp to the rear speakers (with no common ground/connection) and connected these to the radio and everything works fine.

If you don't have one get the LR repair manual which has a wiring diagram with the wire color coding which is very helpful in finding the correct wires.

Hope this helps.
Old October 23rd, 2007, 04:14 PM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

I left the speakers in the front but added a tweeter (window mount type) from a 93 RRC to each side they look factory and they work great! I put a sub box in the back up next to the rear seat and I can actually enjoy music in my 110 now.
Old October 23rd, 2007, 05:20 PM
mpsteil
Michael Steil
NAS 110#23,97 ST#665

Thanks, Scott and Richard, here is where I am at. I did have the same problem with the rear speaker wires. When I found the plug to the rear speaker which I think was from the stock amp I had no prob using them. The speaker wires that went to the deck from the rear speakers(whick must have went to the amp first)is where I was having the problems. The wire diagram in my manual was confusing me because some wires for front and rear were the same color. I am now good on the wiring and new speakers are the next challenge. I bought 4" two ways for the front and 5.25 two was for the rear from Crutchfield. I am going to use a 3/4 spacer for the front speakers as on the drivers side you only have 1" of top mount clearence stock. Dont have the speakers yet but I will post when I finish the install to see how easy it goes. The rear should not be a problem as the new speakers I bought have the same dimension as the stock speakers. Which in short means it will be a nightmare no matter what because nothing seems to go just right when you do intereior work on a Land Rover. Mike

Richard, did you buy your 110 from a guy at LR dealership in Monterey?
Old October 24th, 2007, 05:30 PM
R. Kurk
Richard Kurk
1993 110 NAS #489

Michael,

I bought my 110 in Boise ID about two years ago. The sale was informally brokered through the sales manager at the LR dealer in Boise as a favor to the seller, who I gather buys lots of cars at the dealership. I saw the 110 in for service while I was having my Discovery serviced. I mentioned to the service manager that if the owner of the 110 ever wanted to sell to call me. He called next morning, it turned out that the reason the 110 was in was to prep it for sale.

By the way I see you live in Woodside. Last night (Tuesday 10-24) while driving from Santa Cruz over hwy 17 to San Jose I saw a 110 going the other way (southbound). Was this your 110 by chance?

Finally, post a summary or email me (rdkurk@msn.com) when you install your speakers. I am thinking about replacing the ones in mine and would like to get any tips and suggestions.

Thanks.
Old October 24th, 2007, 05:41 PM
mpsteil
Michael Steil
NAS 110#23,97 ST#665

That was not me that you saw and I have two which with the exception of yours I thought they were the only ones around.. Reason I asked if you bought yours from Monterey was because one was on ebay awhile back that I looked at with very low miles but had some major rust and mechanical issues and the sell was not representing the truck near as bad as it was. He got like 38k on ebay and the buyer left a very negative feedback but I guess you would have looked at it in person and known how bad it was. My new speaker just got here from Crutchfield and will be installing today or tommorrw and will update info on how it went.

Mike
Old October 24th, 2007, 06:10 PM
R. Kurk
Richard Kurk
1993 110 NAS #489

Thanks, let me know the result on the speakers. The local service shop I take my 110 and Disco for service here in Santa Cruz says there is one more 110 in my area. The owner contacted them inquiring about service but they have never seen it "in the flesh".

Rich K.
Old October 26th, 2007, 01:28 PM
mpsteil
Michael Steil
NAS 110#23,97 ST#665

Okay, install done. Front speakers were no problem at all. I used Infinity 4012i speakers(a 4" speaker) in the front but had to use Crutchfields Universal Liftring #003SG400DX because you only have about 1" of top mount depth in the factory holes. That was super easy and the screws went in the factory screw holes so going back to stock would only take minutes. The rear was really tough. I had to remove both rear jump seats and all the bottom seat brackets. If I do this again I will also take out the top rear mounting brackets of the jump seat. I used Infinity 5012i speaker(a 5 1/4" speaker) for the rear. They are a little smaller than the stock speaker but you still have enough room to screw them in. I removed the trim peice that the speaker go into because of the metal backing of that trim peice was hard to drill through in place. I mounted the speakers, then removed them because you need to access a bolt through the speaker hole to re attach the trim. Once the trim was back on I mounted the speakers. The new speakers stuck out about a 1/4" farther than the stock speakers and that was a major PITA. On the Passenger side I had to grind some of the seat mounting bracket off to get it back in place because it hit the speaker grill. The drivers side went back with no grinding but a little bit of prying. Next time I would find a speaker that did not have such a thick speaker grill, it would make it much easier. The other thing you really have to watch out for is depth as I used the factory magnet cover from the stock speakers and they barely fit,(make sure all wires from taillight ect,, are clear or you wont get the speaker all the way in which is amust) you need to be as flush as possible because the seatbelt is right there and it is a tight fit. If you dont mind trimming some metal out you might even get a 6 1/2" speaker in the rear but watch for depth. I will post some pics when my wife gets home with the camera. MIke
Old January 19th, 2008, 12:04 AM
mpsteil
Michael Steil
NAS 110#23,97 ST#665

Better late than never

Here are some pics of the front speakers with the spacers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00089.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	11731   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00090.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	11732  

Old January 19th, 2008, 01:23 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Nice, those are the same speakers I am installing! Bought em about a year and a half ago (might have been a little premature) haha.
Old January 27th, 2008, 10:30 PM
Davis M
HDM
'93 Defender 110

With Mikes encouragement, I had the confidence to do a similar install with my front speakers last weekend. I used Infinity Kappa 42.7i 4 speakers and 3/4 spacers; all fits in nicely. I was in a hurry to get the project done so the turnkey spacers Mike used from Crutchfield were out of the question. I considered making the spacers myself but was lazy and had an installer at CarToys custom fab some really great looking spacers instead they cost me around $50 for the pair. (Oh ya, he also painted the speaker grills black because it's slimming.) The final product looks great and the sound is great. I'm running the original rear speakers and everything is powered straight from an Alpine deck (10-15W/channel or so, Im guessing). To make a meaningful improvement from here, I think Id need amps, a sub, new rear speakers, dynamat for the entire truck, and a lot less rattles and squeeks. Frankly, in my situation, I dont see the need. Bottom line, good front speakers plus 3/4" spacers make for an easy install and a huge difference in sound. I would strongly suggest this route as the first audio upgrade for any D110 NAS as it is: 1) easy, 2) relatively inexpensive, and, 3) allows for easy return to stock if desired. I particularly liked the idea keeping the speakers in the original location vs. the door speakers [as I was originally going to do] as the factory location is much less likely (in my case, anyway) to be kicked or damaged by moisture. Great upgrade!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	L1020823 (Small).JPG
Views:	121
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	11871  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
110, speakers