Speaker Wiring Help Needed - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 10th, 2011, 09:08 PM
NoVaKevin
Kevin
sold#1469

Speaker Wiring Help Needed

I have 4 brand new 6.5inch alpine speakers I am installing tomorrow. 2 for front doors, 2 for rear. I am going to put in new wiring for them, as well as the radio antenna. Im going to see how these work, and since I already have tweeter holes drilled and fitted, I might upgrade to components in the front.

From the research that I have done, am I correct in that the stock wiring goes from the doors, across firewall to ecu/fuse area at passenger footwell? Does it matter if I remove the old wire and is it a pain in the ass to do so?
Does the antenna run from the antenna thru firewall directly to radio?

To make things more complicated, I already have an amp, and 4-8inch subs (2 under each seat), and everything is tied into the amp (which I think are wired series/parallel, example: Passenger subs- positive from sub#1 to amp, negative from sub#2 to amp, remaining negative from sub#1 and positive from sub#2 are connected, repeat for driver side, and all subs into same + and - input at the amp).

I am sure I will screw something up. Do the 6.5 inch speakers get wired into the amp or the head unit? Front and rear go to the same input?

Also, is 16 gauge wire okay for the wiring of the 6.5 inch speakers to amp/headunit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 10th, 2011, 09:24 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVaKevin
I have 4 brand new 6.5inch alpine speakers I am installing tomorrow. 2 for front doors, 2 for rear. I am going to put in new wiring for them, as well as the radio antenna. Im going to see how these work, and since I already have tweeter holes drilled and fitted, I might upgrade to components in the front.

From the research that I have done, am I correct in that the stock wiring goes from the doors, across firewall to ecu/fuse area at passenger footwell? Does it matter if I remove the old wire and is it a pain in the ass to do so?
Does the antenna run from the antenna thru firewall directly to radio?

To make things more complicated, I already have an amp, and 4-8inch subs (2 under each seat), and everything is tied into the amp (which I think are wired series/parallel, example: Passenger subs- positive from sub#1 to amp, negative from sub#2 to amp, remaining negative from sub#1 and positive from sub#2 are connected, repeat for driver side, and all subs into same + and - input at the amp).

I am sure I will screw something up. Do the 6.5 inch speakers get wired into the amp or the head unit? Front and rear go to the same input?

Also, is 16 gauge wire okay for the wiring of the 6.5 inch speakers to amp/headunit?
Oh yeah I forgot to respond to your PM. I didn't rewire all of mine. Post pics of those subs though. I've taken my subs out at this point (hate the weight on the rear door).
Old February 10th, 2011, 09:36 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Antennae runs under the truck to the center. Be advised it's two pieces. Can't tell you anything about the speaker wiring sorry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 10th, 2011, 10:08 PM
97-D90-736
Nick Vogel
1997 D-90 / 2012 LR4

It's a crap shoot chasing all the old wire. Run new wire in a logical manner and enjoy the better sound!
Old February 10th, 2011, 10:09 PM
EWR
Carey
1954 CJ-3B

I would like to see the 2 -8" subs under each seat.
Old February 10th, 2011, 10:09 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by EWR
I would like to see the 2 -8" subs under each seat.
I know. Me too!
Old February 11th, 2011, 07:45 AM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
what are your 6.5" speakers rated for (RMS) and are you keeping the subs. What head unit do you have? chances are your 6.5's would like to have 30-40watts and your head unit will probably only put out 15-18. Your subs are most likely 4 or 8ohm units and are wired together to half the load and therefore increase the power output of the amp. Assuming your amp is rated for this, it shouldn't be an issue. Personally, I think 4-8" subs is a bit of a waste as their frequency range barely touches the "bass" frequencies. you would be better served to replace all of the 8's with a single good 10" or 12" (or if you are Neil a 15"!).

If you post up models of the rest of your equipment along with what you want, we can probably help more
Old February 14th, 2011, 12:09 PM
NoVaKevin
Kevin
sold#1469

Good advice Jeff. My brother in law said the same thing, so I took out all the subs. I would've needed to add another amp to make it work and sound good.

Advice to others before messing with wiring: Dont try to take out a Clifford 800 IQ alarm...its wired to everything!!!. Rewiring speakers is easy, just time consuming. I learned a lot about wiring and one thing I will never do is let someone else wire up a new stereo. They have no vested interest in your car so they cut and splice at the worst places.

I managed to demolish the center console. Actually, its particle board, and its useful life has now passed. Guess I need to get a tuffy now

The 97 NAS D90 wiring colors on this site was a lot of help. http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ghlight=97+NAS
Old February 14th, 2011, 12:19 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVaKevin View Post
so I took out all the subs.

When are you posting the pics of the 4 8" subs for us?
Old February 14th, 2011, 12:21 PM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVaKevin View Post
Good advice Jeff. My brother in law said the same thing, so I took out all the subs. I would've needed to add another amp to make it work and sound good.

Advice to others before messing with wiring: Dont try to take out a Clifford 800 IQ alarm...its wired to everything!!!. Rewiring speakers is easy, just time consuming. I learned a lot about wiring and one thing I will never do is let someone else wire up a new stereo. They have no vested interest in your car so they cut and splice at the worst places.

I managed to demolish the center console. Actually, its particle board, and its useful life has now passed. Guess I need to get a tuffy now

The 97 NAS D90 wiring colors on this site was a lot of help. http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ghlight=97+NAS
I had a Clifford in a Mustang I had years ago...nothing but trouble! Glad to hear that the rest of your project went okay!
Old February 14th, 2011, 02:49 PM
kevkon
kevin
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88

I just installed a Sound Ordnance powered sub and I can't imagine needing any more bass than it provides. In fact, I have it turned down quite a bit. Coupled with Polk component speakers the sound is great.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
wiring