Speaker Choice? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 24th, 2013, 09:49 PM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
Speaker Choice?

D-90 Audiophiles:

In honor of my 10 year anniversary with my 90 I am following through with a bunch of long overdue issues. One of the most pressing is my doors and speakers. I already have new door cards -- I've been sitting on them for way too long. The question is what speakers?

I don't have intentions to install the biggest baddest sound system in my neighborhood (especially considering how loud the ST is at baseline) and I'm not planning on exchanging my back seat for a huge subwoofer... just want something with pretty decent all around sound.

School me on speakers. What's the best money can buy in a reasonable price range (~$100 or less for a pair)?
-Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 24th, 2013, 10:09 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
First thing to do is dynamat the inside of the complete door and a good foot or more around the speaker location on the new door card. Then look at the Polk Audio DB651 6.5-Inch Coaxial Speakers. $64/pair delivered from Amazon, they are hard to beat. If installing these (or similar speakers), hot glue the thick mounting ring to the inside of the door card first, then install dynamat to the ring. The ring gives something solid for the speaker to mount to. Much better than those cheap clip nuts. Your sound will be 3-4x greater with the ring and dynamat and your speaker won't start sounding tinny and be falling off within the year.
http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-DB6...arine+speakers
Old August 24th, 2013, 10:45 PM
61rover
John Crouse
'93 NAS D110 (#8) / '61 Series II

Registry
Any recommendations for replaceing the 4" speakers under the dash would be great too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 24th, 2013, 10:54 PM
HeloBubba
Chris Murphy
'89 127 (D130), '16 LR4

I second Russell's Polk Audio db-series recommendation.

I've put various generations of these in all three of my Ds over the years,. They sound good, are durable, are reasonably priced for the quality, and are even marketed as weather-resistant. (They're used in lots of high-end boats for this reason.)

Murph
'89 D110SW
'16 LR4

Former:
'97 D90SW - SOLD SEP '14
'94 D90ST - SOLD MAY '13
D90s sold while assigned overseas. You're welcome America!
'06 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
'8X FankenRover D100
Old August 24th, 2013, 11:03 PM
Holiday
Ross Simpson
1995 D90 ST/2006 D3 HSE7

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherpamike View Post
D-90 Audiophiles:

In honor of my 10 year anniversary with my 90 I am following through with a bunch of long overdue issues. One of the most pressing is my doors and speakers. I already have new door cards -- I've been sitting on them for way too long. The question is what speakers?

I don't have intentions to install the biggest baddest sound system in my neighborhood (especially considering how loud the ST is at baseline) and I'm not planning on exchanging my back seat for a huge subwoofer... just want something with pretty decent all around sound.

School me on speakers. What's the best money can buy in a reasonable price range (~$100 or less for a pair)?
-Mike
Obviously, the D-90 is a very challenging vehicle to achieve any kind of sound quality (referred to as "SQ" by the pros) in. You seem to have a firm grasp on this given your intended budget- some don't. I find it humorous when I see these trucks fitted with mid-range Focal's and XR series JL Audios; money wasted. Three things you can do to have a noticeable increase in SQ:

1. 2-Way Component Sets. Ditch the front coaxial. The factory lower-door panel placement means your sound stage is aimed at your feet, and is forced to compete with the noise machine on the other side of the bulkhead. Raise your sound stage to near ear level with a 2-way component set by mounting the tweeters at the top inner corner of your doors. The distance between the mid/woofer and the tweeter on these doors is not significant enough to cause lag issues. Consider sets with swivel-style tweeter mounts. They allow adjustments that will give you the opportunity to further tweak your sound-stage. Brand/model? To each their own, but regardless- you'll probably notice very little difference between a JBL and an Alpine at 50 mph. Personally, I like MB Quarts because of their metallic tweeters, giving them a "brighter" sound; that, I can hear at 50 mph. Use either the factory LR midbass covers, or a generic offering from a vendor like Crutchfield to avoid any unwanted attention.

2. Sound Dampers/Absorbers. Use damper products on the doors as a minimum, but don't forget matting; a common mistake. Dynamat is fine, so is B-quiet. Having used both, I prefer the latter- same product for cheaper. V-comp matting (B-quiet) is excellent.

3. Amp. Replace the Clarion paperweight. It was a sub-par amp in the mid-nineties. Overpowered for 4 x coaxial speakers and good for one thing- volume. LR had to ensure that the volume was sufficient to overwhelm wind-noise with the top off/trans-xfer noise, etc. Pick-up a Class D amp for their size, efficiency, and cooler operation.

A basic set of 2-way components in a properly dampened door, powered by a modern amp will be a noticeable improvement without breaking the bank.

Good luck and post pics.
Old August 25th, 2013, 03:30 PM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
Thanks guys. Great points and speakers.

Ross, where exactly did you install your tweeters? Any pics? After reading some resources on the web I get what you're saying about the component speakers... unfortunately our door panels don't lend themselves to much creativity about mounting. I am not sure if there is enough depth behind the panel in the upper portion of the door.
Old August 25th, 2013, 11:07 PM
Holiday
Ross Simpson
1995 D90 ST/2006 D3 HSE7

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherpamike View Post
Thanks guys. Great points and speakers.

Ross, where exactly did you install your tweeters? Any pics? After reading some resources on the web I get what you're saying about the component speakers... unfortunately our door panels don't lend themselves to much creativity about mounting. I am not sure if there is enough depth behind the panel in the upper portion of the door.

With ST doors, you're limited to either a surface mount at the top, or install the tweeters in the A-pillar. With a little attention to detail, they'll look fine- but it will look "aftermarket".
On my 95', I switched to SW doors which alleviated a lot of sound related issues- this one included.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions