Speaker/Amp Question- Easily Answered - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 22nd, 2005, 12:14 AM
gtg067i
Christian Shea
1997 Defender 90 Wagon

Speaker/Amp Question- Easily Answered

Very remedial question but I cannot seem to find a straight answer anywhere. I am going to buy a 4 channel amp that puts out 100x4 at 4 ohm load. When it says that does it mean 4 ohms per channel or total for the whole amp. The speakers I am buying will be two pairs of infinity perfect 6.1 4 ohm loads. What I don't understand is if the 4 ohm load for the amp is total how would I wire them up to get max from the amp? I know this is probably simple knowldege, I guess chalk it up to ignorance. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 22nd, 2005, 08:25 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

That rating is per channel. A good amp will also put at least that much out in a 2 ohm load. Also, make sure that's an RMS rating per channel. I can't beleive how many specs are not stated so since it's been the law for years - I assume it still is. Pay no attention to "total music power" , "peak power", or words to that effect. Look for an adequate power rating (to your taste, but 40W is plenty for me), RMS into 4 ohms at 1% THD. Of course, you should match loads between amp and speakers.

There are a lot of high power amps at seemingly great prices out there but most are crap. I have a pair of old ADS PQ10 rated at 40W (or 50W)?) x 4 @ 4 ohms. They crank and I need no more power. I even had one setup as three channels with a subwoofer and it never lacked power.

In my opinion you are better off finding a used older amp from one of the big boys - ADS, RF, Kenwood, Alpine.
Old April 22nd, 2005, 09:48 AM
gtg067i
Christian Shea
1997 Defender 90 Wagon

Thanks for the help, I am all too aware of the ridiculous statistics thrown out in the car audio field to wow the young impressionable youth who think something with chrome and neon will always crank out 1200 watts or something stupid like that. I have an awesome mono rockford fosgate amp I bought a few years back. My plan is to run the infinity perfects, which are some of the best components in the world. 2 sets, so 4 speakers and tweeters, each channel seeing 100 watts off a phoenix gold amp. Not of it is cheap but I was spoiled in my old Disco II with its great sound and frankly love listening to loud music.

One other question to throw out there, does anyone have a subwoofer mounted in such a way to not take up floor space in the wagon and not hang it on the already strained door? I measured the space behind the jump seats to the body panel and I think I could squeeze in an 8" woofer or 10" if it were mounted slightly slanted. Just wondering if anyone had any novel ideas, this seems like it would work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 22nd, 2005, 10:00 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

1. I don't know what the Infinity specs are but if you're taking all the low end out of them to go to your sub then you certainly don't need 100W to drive them.

2. For the sub I would try one of those tube type jobs - Bazooka or something. You may be able to fit one or two behind your rear seats - if you still have them. I use that area to stash spare oil, rags and other stuff. I am sure you can find a tube that fits back there just fine.

If you're not using the CD changer you may be able to mount an 8" sub in the cubby. Problem is it's plastic and lightweight so there may be resonances to deal with.

I prefer the tube idea as you can move them elsewhere - say, behind the front seats, standing in the outer corners or at the rear roof line above the door.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions