Spare Tyre Dilemma - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 27th, 2015, 08:32 AM
Downunder Bear
Perry Gamsby
1995 Defender station wagon 300Tdi

Spare Tyre Dilemma

I hate my spare tyre. I have it on the rear door of my 110 but it makes the door hard to open for the kids. Also, when it is in place on the three studs, locking and unlocking becomes a drama and something of a mystery as to when it will open or not! I had it on the roof rack for to months and the back door never rattled, was a dream to unlock and open and so on. But on the roof rack it is too high and makes parking in covered car parks problematic.

So, the plan was to put the spare inside and somehow secure it between the fold down seats, leaning against the middle row seats. All too hard, though. So now I am toying with leaving it at home except when I go off road or on a trip. Instead I'll carry a can of Finileak, that tyre repair in a can stuff tyre repair shops seem to hate. At risk of jinxing myself I have had one flat in the last ten years but we all know as soon as I leave the tyre at home and rely on the can I'll get a flat. In the rain. At night.

What do others think?
'Dr Dick' 1993 Discovery V8i
'Nigel' 2000 Discovery TD5
'Snorky' 1958 Series II 88" pickup
1953 Series I 86"
1956 Series I 86"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 27th, 2015, 08:36 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Mantec carrier and lube everything. Door will open nicely. Don't overthink this ... Thousands of people have solved this before you.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old April 27th, 2015, 08:55 AM
Downunder Bear
Perry Gamsby

Mantec carrier is a $700+ buy where I live. It would be the perfect solution but for one minor detail...
1953 Series I 86"
1956 Series I 86"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 27th, 2015, 09:39 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
plan b ... Defender Spare wheel carrier, Kaymar copy. How to make your own. - Australian Land Rover Owners
Old April 27th, 2015, 10:02 AM
LR Max
Thomason, Max
1973 Series 3 109

I just installed a Mantec on my 109. Holy crap that thing is nice. Yes I know its expensive but you get what you pay for. It is super hella nice.

As for mounting it inside, my spare tire rode around inside my 109 for about 10 years. It sucked. Was always in the way and if I had to change it, then that meant I had a dirty tire floating around in the back with all my other gear.

Before I got a stock rover mounting kit, I used ratchet straps to secure it upright. Never really worked and off road it always worked itself loose. Heck with the stock rover mounting, often it would work itself loose anyway!

Usually I just carry a plug kit. Safety Seal makes a good one (ARB copied/subcontracted basically the same thing). It handles punctures very well. However when you kill a tire, a spare is very very very nice.
Old April 27th, 2015, 10:13 AM
scrubs
henery

Looks like a bicycle upside-down,might try that one myself
Old April 27th, 2015, 10:59 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Atlantic British one is just as nice....and better as it comes with a hi-lift mount too

Wheel Carrier With Jack Mount (Hi-Lift & Jack-All) - Land Rover miscellaneous from Atlantic British
Old April 27th, 2015, 11:02 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
The OP is in Australia ....
Old April 27th, 2015, 11:44 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
What size tire?

3 hinge/SW door?

I remember reading about HD hinges in one of the Rover publications.

Also check your door frame - could have a crack - the stock frame is pretty much angle sheet metal and "spit" welded together and holds water so could be something there.

Fwiw - I cut a SW door in half but made a frame out of 1x1 square tubing. Due to my weld sequence the top piece has a bow but it holds a 255 tire without a wimper and on some old stock hinges.
Old April 27th, 2015, 12:53 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Rather than the tire inflate crap, carry a puncture kit that has the reamer tool and the insert tool. Most flats are nails and drywall screws and stuff. Then if you have room for a pump (12V electric one) you won't need anything more. Well, a celly, for sure. And whatever equivalent to a auto club towing membership you have down there.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old April 27th, 2015, 01:20 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Mount it on the hood.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 27th, 2015, 01:31 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
The OP is in Australia ....
The OP, then, should ask on the AULRO forums. They have a options in Australia that nobody here will be familiar with.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old April 27th, 2015, 06:30 PM
Downunder Bear
Perry Gamsby

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated. I used to be a member of the LRO Australia forum but then they started charging membership. Just haven't gotten around to spending the money, I think it's $12 a year so it's not the amount, just the principle... or the bother, hahah. Some spare wheel carriers don;t open with the door and you have to open the carrier then the door. Not a lot of extra work but I would prefer one motion.

I would love it on the hood and have a Series III mount there a previous owner fitted, however the bonnet stay isn't the heavy duty version and the hood gets very heavy to lift. My hernia would love the exercise, though. My mechanic says the hood mounted tyres damage the hood and deter owners from checking oil etc on a regular basis.

I carry a tyre repair kit for bush trips but for around town? I do belong to the auto club here and have the top level of cover but I guess sometimes just changing you own tyre is the quickest and simplest solution. I think I will sling it back on the roof, check the door for cracks and save my shekels for a mantec carrier. Appreciate the discussion, people.
1953 Series I 86"
1956 Series I 86"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
spare