Spare Tire mount on hood - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 11th, 2005, 07:48 PM
Viper-25
Dan/Gopen

Spare Tire mount on hood

I have seen some pictures, one on here, with a spare tire on the hood of a D90. I was wondering who has done this and how they did this? Did you buy the series hood mount and put in on the Defender? or make it your self? Regardless if this is a good idea or not, i was wondering how people were doing it. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 11th, 2005, 09:24 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
I saw a tire mount hood for sale on Rovers Down South recently. It is a special hood although I am sure that it would not be too hard to make your own. I have a hood mounted spare and it gets in the way when wheeling at times, you have to read the road way ahead on the trail. Also it is a pain to lift the hood. Aside from that it I like it.
Old July 11th, 2005, 09:35 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I thought about it once and sat the tire on the hood to get an idea. I didnt like it with a 265/75 might be better with a 235/85 as it is not as wide. just set your tire on the hood to get an idea.
Advertisement

Old July 11th, 2005, 09:39 PM
Trevor Tarr
Trevor Tarr
1997 D-90 4.6 NAS ST

I'm happy with my hood spare tire mount. I bought a Land Rover kit designed for the D90 hood. I believe there are two versions, based on whether you're using steel or alloy wheels. The kit includes reinforcing supports for the hood's underside. The tire definitely obstructs visibility some, but I've gotten used to it. You need to disengage the hood release also, and switch to some kind of tie-down (also available from Land Rover). Even with the reinforcement, the weight of the tire does stress the hood, and I'd expect it to eventually give out prematurely, unless you only mount the spare there for offroad use (which is what I generally do).
Old July 11th, 2005, 10:15 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Tarr
I'm happy with my hood spare tire mount. I bought a Land Rover kit designed for the D90 hood. I believe there are two versions, based on whether you're using steel or alloy wheels. The kit includes reinforcing supports for the hood's underside. The tire definitely obstructs visibility some, but I've gotten used to it. You need to disengage the hood release also, and switch to some kind of tie-down (also available from Land Rover). Even with the reinforcement, the weight of the tire does stress the hood, and I'd expect it to eventually give out prematurely, unless you only mount the spare there for offroad use (which is what I generally do).
How about adding some checker plate to the top of the hood for extra support?
Old July 11th, 2005, 11:44 PM
jabber
m j

I've got a 255/85 mounted on the hood. Tevor is correct, there are two versions of the hood mount, but the only difference is the circular steel piece that attaches the tire to the mount. The steelie mounts through the center of the rim and the alloy mounts using lug nuts, I believe.

I'm very happy with it, and hey.... 200 bucks is a lot cheaper than buying a new rear mount carrier. Main reason I put it up on the hood was I installed a drop tail gate. You'll get used to the slight obstruction. I usually have it mounted on the hood when I'm cruising around town. When I wheel, I strap it down in the bed.

Lemme know if you want a couple of pics. It's a pretty straight forward installation.
Old July 12th, 2005, 12:00 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

It is heavy and blocks your view. If you want a cheap mount you can fab something on the interior like a range rover classic..

Ron
Old July 12th, 2005, 10:35 AM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

I installed one of the factory hood mount kits for the D-90...I hate it, it is the only mod I have done that I wish I could undo.
Rob
Old July 12th, 2005, 11:06 AM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

Trade hoods?
Old July 12th, 2005, 11:41 AM
DaveHuny
Van Der Waal
none

I had a 33x9.50 tire on the hood of my Series, and it was fun to drive around in for the "Safari" look, but for 4-wheeling I would take it off and mount it on the rear bulkhead for visibility. And it's darn heavy when trying to open the bonnet. I wouldn't put one on the front now unless I had directional tires and had to run 2 spares.
Old July 12th, 2005, 03:30 PM
tim
Timothy Homewood
Defender 50th going topless

Hi, There is a guy in France that has started selling a mount for the defender bonnet (hood to you guys) - its an 'a' frame mounted off the hinges - my worry is that it makes the tyre higher. Have a look at www.rrconcept.com, go to the catalogue and page through to the last page...tim
Old July 12th, 2005, 03:47 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Hmm that looks to be about 400 buckaroos! A bit much for a hood mount tire carrier, then there's shipping it over too. But it does have to hold the tire off the hood some as the center section is a little lower then the outside edges.

What do you guys do when you need to remove the hood on the trail? I now take the hood off whenever I have to work on the engine, it only takes me about a minute to get it off. The first time is the hardest but after that it's easy.
Old July 12th, 2005, 03:50 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Here is the Link

It looks taller and it is adding more weight.
Old July 12th, 2005, 06:09 PM
Trevor Tarr
Trevor Tarr
1997 D-90 4.6 NAS ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hippert
How about adding some checker plate to the top of the hood for extra support?
I did do that actually. But chequer plate really isn't the best stiffener for the hood, because it's thin and flat, so doesn't really add a lot of resistance to bending of the hood. A better reinforcement, for the same extra weight, would be lengths of square or angle stock below the tire.

The purpose of my hood mount was to carry a second spare, not to replace the rear tire carrier. I do most of my 'wheeling in Death Valley, where a backup spare can be a lifesaver.
Old July 12th, 2005, 06:41 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
after looking at my hood mount I think you could make your own for pretty cheap with parts found at a local hardware store. I am guessing $20-30 at the most.
Old July 20th, 2005, 01:16 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
You know, I added one of the LR kits a year or two ago. Haven't used it yet.

If you need more reason to NOT get it. Think about what would happen if you had an underhood fire. How would you open the hood, on fire, with that much weight to be able to spray into the bay.

The reason I bring this up, I recently had the opportunity to view one of the formerly nicest 110's in the US, burnt to a crisp. Oil lines let go after the owner parked it. Came out of the house, truck on fire. Couldn't get the hood open and couldn't spray from underneath because of the dripping, burning oil. And spraying into the grille is a farce. Nothing left but charred metal of the cab and front clip.

Tire on the hood looks nice, bad idea.
Old July 20th, 2005, 07:51 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

From what I have been told the last thing you want to do is open the hood, the flames will shoot out and you'll be on fire!
Old July 20th, 2005, 07:57 AM
stevewhitaker
Stephen Whitaker
1994 D-90

Registry
To each his own I guess, but I have been 4-wheeling in the old series Land Rover with a tire-mounted spare for over 30 years, and my dad for a decade before that. Of course, we had the deluxe bonnet made specifically to carry the spare. You get used to the added weight when opening, although I did always enjoy watching the surprised looks on other's faces when they first attempted it. In fact, the first time I opened my Defender bonnet I dang near threw it off its hinges because it was so much lighter than what I was used to. A tire-mounted spare would free up the rear carrier to haul gas cans and such, but it does definitely obstruct forward visibility some and I would think twice about using one if I was running wide tires. I would also question the ruggedness of some of the kits to convert the standard hood to hauling a spare.
Old July 20th, 2005, 11:01 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hippert
From what I have been told the last thing you want to do is open the hood, the flames will shoot out and you'll be on fire!
True, I didn't mean open wide. I meant just crack it to get the nozzle in.
Old July 21st, 2005, 05:44 PM
javelinadave
-
-

This hood thing......
Attached Images

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
hood, mount, spare, spare tire, tire