Spare tire bike rack - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 13th, 2012, 04:06 PM
bradleyt09
Brad Taylor
'97 D90 ST

Spare tire bike rack

I just installed Jeff Payne's mounting plate and a Yakima Sparetime bike rack. This rack mounts on the spare tire and requires Jeff's mounting bracket as the bolt pattern on the D-90 wheels does not match the bolt pattern in the mount included with the Yakima rack. Thanks to Jeff for a great product. So my question is this: with two bikes loaded on the rack, is it OK to open the rear door or is it too much weight to operate the door?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 13th, 2012, 04:25 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyt09 View Post
I just installed Jeff Payne's mounting plate and a Yakime Sparetime bike rack. This rack mounts on the spare tire and requires Jeff's mounting bracket as the bolt pattern on the D-90 wheels does not match the bolt pattern in the mount included with the Yakima rack. Thanks to Jeff for a great product. So my question is this: with two bikes loaded on the rack, is it OK to open the rear door or is it too much weight to operate the door?
I wouldnt think that it would matter, but it really depends what/how big the spare is and if the existing tire mount was re-enforced. it should be good in either case. Bikes are lite these days!

Crap I didnt realize it was your 90....yeah youre good all the way around with your set up!
Old October 13th, 2012, 04:44 PM
bradleyt09
Brad Taylor
'97 D90 ST

Hey Bill, great avatar. I know the weight isn't significant but thought it may torque the door too much as the added weight of the carrier and (2) bikes is cantilevered quite a bit off the door. I wouldn't expect it should be any problem, but figured I'd ask before running like this for too long and then finding the door sags. Anyway, it seems fine when I swing the door open so I'll go with it unless someone else chimes in with a different opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 13th, 2012, 07:47 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

This rack set up is awesome. Someone should buy mine.
Old May 16th, 2013, 09:30 AM
jijalicious
Jiman Khosravan
'94 D90

Any comments on this? :

http://www.costco.com/.product.11750...5_846_delonghi

I mean, if you buy the yakima ($200) and then get the adapter from jpayne (if avail that is and if it's still $70)... you're looking at $270..

Where as this one 200 shipped to door...

any reason if you were in the market for a bike rack you wouldn't get this one?
Old May 16th, 2013, 10:20 AM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Tire carriers are awesome if you want to access the rear area. The hitch mounted ones do fold down but it's a pain to deal with every time you want the door open.

I would think the weight of the bikes would be a factor- 2 cruiser vs 2 road bikes. There is potential for significant weight. I've run a few different tire and hitch racks on my D90 and my Disco and it doesn't seem to be an issue for either. Just the scratching of the bikes when you go to shut the door. Or the hassle of folding down the rack to access the rear. With the hitch mounted ones I've used the door won't open all the way so you don't have full access.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, rack, spare, spare tire, tire