Spacer pics - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 16th, 2008, 08:19 AM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
Spacer pics

Someone asked about 30mm spacer pics.
Before and After
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GetAttachment.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	15260   Click image for larger version

Name:	GetAttachment2.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	15261  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 16th, 2008, 02:00 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomaco1
Someone asked about 30mm spacer pics.
Before and After
What tire size do you have on there?
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old September 16th, 2008, 03:08 PM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Which is the 'before' and which is the 'after'? I'm not trying to be a jerk, but it seems difficult to really get a feel for the difference in offset created by the spacers, since the front wheel is turned in the one photo, and the photo is a bit dark, and the parking lot shot looks like a wider stance than stock.

I run 1.25" wheel spacers, with the stock freestyle wheels and 285/75's. It really seems like an ideal configuration, bringing the tire right out to the edge of the stock flares, and just looks right, IMHO. Couple of photos to illustrate..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Spacers 1.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	15263   Click image for larger version

Name:	Spacers 2.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	15264  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 16th, 2008, 03:26 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Looks great! I need those.

Are there any real dangers to the 1.25 spacers, or any spacers for that matter? I run the same tires and I rub like hell, even with the heavy duty EMU front. I guess they can't be any more dangerous than have 4 out of 5 lugs loosen to within 1 revolution of falling off the rear freestyle alloy rim. I guess they under torqued the lugs when I got the new det of tires mounted.
Old September 16th, 2008, 03:56 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
mine are 265 75 16's, the shots do suck. I emailed him better pics, I can take the after shots from the front and rear if there is anyone who wants them.
Beach shot was after
Old September 16th, 2008, 04:09 PM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by D90Overkill
Are there any real dangers to the 1.25 spacers, or any spacers for that matter? I run the same tires and I rub like hell, even with the heavy duty EMU front. I guess they can't be any more dangerous than have 4 out of 5 lugs loosen to within 1 revolution of falling off the rear freestyle alloy rim. I guess they under torqued the lugs when I got the new det of tires mounted.
Well, there has always been a long standing debate regarding this. Whenever you move the wheel outward from the stock location (either by using wheels with a greater backspacing/ more negative offset or spacers) you increase the leverage that is applied to the axles ends/wheel bearings. It is pretty agreed upon that this will increase the load and wear on the wheel bearings, but the debatable points seem to be around how much is a problem, and to what extent that wear is accelerated.

So here is my theory, everyone correct me if I’m wrong…

If I remember correctly, the stock alloys on the Defender are 4.75” backspacing, which translates roughly to a 1.25” positive offset (offset and backspacing are often confused and interchanged, try this link for better definition of what each is, and how to calculate one from the other). Positive offset lowers stress on the bearings, where as negative offset increases it, because it pushes the whole wheel/tire assembly further from the load plane. Zero offset simply means that the wheel’s mounting plane is at the wheel’s center line, and not offset to the inside (negative) or outside (positive) of that center line.

All that said, if my numbers are right, adding a 1.25” spacer to a 4.75” backspacing wheel will be the equivalent of fitting a zero offset wheel, since the stock offset is +1.25” and the wheel spacer essentially removes 1.25” (- 1.25” as it moves the mounting plane inward by the amount of its thickness) of offset from the dimension. I think as long as you remain at zero or positive that the stresses and risks would be negligible. I ran a set of 1.25” spacers on a Series I Disco for about 65K miles with no associated issues, but have only logged about 10K with them on the Defender.

Of course, next up is the debate about hub-centric spacers verses lug-centric spacers…

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old September 16th, 2008, 11:10 PM
Arnzo
Andrew Arnott
1997 Defender 90

Which brand spacer are you using?
Old September 17th, 2008, 01:09 PM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnzo
Which brand spacer are you using?
Oh Boy,

It has been something like eight years since I bought them. I believe I bought them from Rover Accessories, but don't hold me to it. I believe that they (or whomever it was I bought them from) were the only ones making spacers for the Rover at the time, and they were pricey!

Old September 17th, 2008, 05:15 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

I thought the stock backspacing is like 5.3 something not 4.75?!?!

I need to get some for my D90, my friend had a set build for him and they have been great so far.. I'll ask him when he get's back from the rally.
Old September 17th, 2008, 05:48 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
I got mine from Doug C, not sure of the brand
Old September 17th, 2008, 05:52 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepeytr
they were pricey!
Never really understood why they sell at that price neither. Aluminium is not expensive by itself, so I am probably not aware of what makes the final product so expensive. Liability maybe? Supply-demand?
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old September 18th, 2008, 10:04 AM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwisteD90
I thought the stock backspacing is like 5.3 something not 4.75?!?!

I need to get some for my D90, my friend had a set build for him and they have been great so far.. I'll ask him when he get's back from the rally.
You could very well be right. Like I said, for some reason that stuck in my mind. But as long as the backspacing is at least 4.75", the theory should be good, no? Seems to me that the least stress would come from a zero offset, where the leverage applied by the wheel should be the least (same amount of wheel inside the center line as outside the center line). If this is correct, then using a 1.25" spacer will only decrease load on the bearings, given a backspacing of 4.75" or greater, since it is moving the load plane closer to the center line and magic 'zero offset', right?

I can't believe someone hasn't chimed in with the specs on Land Rover Alloys by now..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonLand
Never really understood why they sell at that price neither. Aluminium is not expensive by itself, so I am probably not aware of what makes the final product so expensive. Liability maybe? Supply-demand?
I'm pretty sure it is that demand is low, so tooling/set-up costs are relatively high, and the vendors are trying to make it back. You can get spacers for Toyotas of the same design for far less, but there is much more market to absorb the initial start-up costs, so...

Old September 18th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepeytr
I'm pretty sure it is that demand is low, so tooling/set-up costs are relatively high, and the vendors are trying to make it back. You can get spacers for Toyotas of the same design for far less, but there is much more market to absorb the initial start-up costs, so...
I could make them dirt cheap, if people are willing to use aftermarket lug nuts. The bolts and inner nuts are one big reason these are pricey. Like everything else, rover used bazaar bolts and nuts for their wheels. But, I still feel the best way to do this is the pull the hub off and press in longer bolts, then I could supply any sized spacer from .125 to 2in.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old September 18th, 2008, 10:22 AM
cabell
Cabell Crowther

Buck:
So are longer studs of the same thread / pitch not available? I'm not opposed to pressing in new studs, but I really prefer not going to an aftermarket nut.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac