SP door skins? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old October 2nd, 2015, 01:52 PM
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team
You guys don't have to pay duties or taxes on imported goods? No wonder there is such a huge debt.

Pissing people off on the "net" since 1983.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old October 2nd, 2015, 02:18 PM
1994 NAS Defender 90
I bought a set of door bottoms from them. The price was good and the quality looks good, but they didn't package them properly, just a piece of cardboard on either side and wrapped with tape, so there are some dings on the ends. Hopefully the auto body shop can fix them up. I told SP about it and they wouldn't do anything about it besides offering to return them, but it would cost a fortune to ship them back. UPS wouldn't file a claim either because they weren't packaged right.

Old October 2nd, 2015, 07:16 PM
Originally Posted by Mybluett View Post
I have a different perspective than most on doors - I see them as a consumable item…

With any consumable the tactic should be quick easy replacement (Oil, filters, belts, etc) or that the entire component is replaced at the same time (timing belt and pulleys, radiator, etc…) Doors I would classify as the latter - looking to replace the whole unit at the same time vs. replacing frame or skin. To that end the galv steel skins are not going to react with a galvanized steel frame and the only replacement needed will come from door surface damage (dings, dents, etc) until the entire component needs replaced (if frames and skins are fresh, new or repaired correctly, galvanized, correctly primed and painted this can be 30 years before they need done again)

AND - you can use car magnets on them...
Do you guys buy big shipments at a time? Like a container or something?
Just wondering if getting them from you they would fair better. Being that the big journey they may be better protected and then shipped more appropriately when state side. I had concerns about the shipping quality and it sounds like concerns have been confirmed.
Old October 2nd, 2015, 08:30 PM
72 + D1 drivetrain
I've done doors from Ashcroft before and had no problems with damage. My S&P shipment arrived in Philly this morning according to the two scans by UPS upon arrival and import.
Old October 3rd, 2015, 10:26 AM
Ashcroft has doors?
Old October 3rd, 2015, 10:42 AM
Scott Pelly
2000 110 TD5

Ashtree Landrover International | Homepage

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions