Source for VDO gauges - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 22nd, 2005, 03:20 PM
loykd
Ken Loy
1994 Portofino Red ST

Source for VDO gauges

I re-read Dave S's write up and the FAQs, but I need a place to buy the bits and pieces. Dave said that you need a temp sender that egauges.com doesn't stock. I recall someone mentioning a place down south who sells VDO stuff, but I can't find the thread here. Anyone know of a source for the temp sender?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 22nd, 2005, 04:04 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
The egauges sender went just fine in my 300Tdi - seems odd that the v8 would use a different one - the temp ranges are the same.

You're gonna love those visions though, I just put three in my truck (EGT, oil pressure, and water temp) and they look really good.

I put the three visions next to the speedo and moved put 2 fuel gauges in the center panel next to the clock. It nice because it keeps the gauges from clashing, which is tres gauche.
Old February 22nd, 2005, 06:48 PM
souza
Dave Souza
1995 Defender 90 SW #275

Ken I didn't even try the stock sender with the new VDO gauge. Didn't Mike just post that he did some testing on his stock vs. aftermarket gauge and it was the same? I know it wasn't a VDO gauge, but they often use the same senders.

The problem with the egauges sender kit is they don't have the proper threads to mount to the stock sender's location. They have a multi-sized kit, but it doesn't have the right size. I got mine at Autozone, it was a Sunpro sender kit... just like the VDO kit it contained many different thread sizes, but it had the *right* one.

Follow-up Post:

I just checked egauges site... I think I got the sender from them, it's just the bushing kit I needed from Sunpro to adapt the sender to the stock temp sender mounting point thread size (listed as 5/8 18-UNF in FAQ).

I'm trying to remember, but I think I got the 250 degree sender with the 1/2-14 NPT size, and adapted from there... I think I called and asked for the 5/8-18 UNF, and was told to get a different one and find an adapter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 22nd, 2005, 11:57 PM
COSteve
Steven Reed
93 Defender 110 - #107

Is this the one?
http://www.sunpro.com/product_detail.php?pid=16336
Old February 23rd, 2005, 08:08 AM
souza
Dave Souza
1995 Defender 90 SW #275

Hmmm... the kit I bought had more like 5 or 6 sizes of adapters. It might be the metric adapter kit they have listed? Of course, I only used one in the box, so it could have been one in the temp gauge bushing kit. I wish I could find my receipt so I knew exactly which sender I got though, at least then I'd be sure of which size we were starting from.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions