Source for fuel filler hose - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 29th, 2007, 01:04 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

Source for fuel filler hose

Anyone know of a good source for filler hose at a reasonable cost? I only need about 6" of 3" O.D hose but I want it to be multi fuel resistant. I have an excel tank in the rear wing of the 110 and the line that goes between the that and the main tank is getting soft and seeping from biodiesel.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 29th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Check with West Marine or Boat US, whatever you have close by. They should have sections of hose on the shelf. Not the cheapest but you can walk in and walk out with it. I am not sure what it will be rated for, but you can check that out when you get there.
Old September 29th, 2007, 01:47 PM
D90user
steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stmpede
Check with West Marine or Boat US, whatever you have close by. They should have sections of hose on the shelf. Not the cheapest but you can walk in and walk out with it. I am not sure what it will be rated for, but you can check that out when you get there.

good idea Andrew...why didn't I think of that, I was just at west marine.

cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 29th, 2007, 08:28 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I got mine from RDS
Old September 29th, 2007, 11:32 PM
D90user
steve

I was thinking about calling George, but I think the OE one is not biodiesel resistant.
Old September 30th, 2007, 07:48 AM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

What hoses in a diesel need to be changed for biodiesel use? I assumed the problem was mainly the small ones at the engine.
Old September 30th, 2007, 11:57 AM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
Napa has it too...

97 D90 SW
Old October 2nd, 2007, 07:13 PM
D90user
steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier
What hoses in a diesel need to be changed for biodiesel use? I assumed the problem was mainly the small ones at the engine.
There are some small sections of hose that are easily switched with "SAE 30 R9" hose from kragen...mostly under the hoos but there area a couple of connectors around the tank depending on your setup.

Napa does not carry 3" O.D. filler hose...

For the record:

http://www.hosexpress.com/hose/marine/SW-469.htm

http://www.ushosecorp.com/index.cfm/...uctID/1686.htm
Old October 2nd, 2007, 09:07 PM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

Thanks Steve for the information.
Old October 3rd, 2007, 01:30 AM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

I would definitely recommend using SAE J30R9 hose whether running biodiesel or just plain diesel. I've had problems with J30R7 hose cracking with just diesel fuel. I'm switching over to all J30R9 hose as I'll be running both bio and diesel. J30R9 hose is suppose to have a fluoroelastomer liner that minimizes permeation into the rubber. It's also way more expensive than J30R7, but you don't really need too much.

Steve - Thanks for the source for the fuel filler hose.
Old October 3rd, 2007, 02:25 AM
D90user
steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by D90user
Whoops... make sure you order from this link...the other was a nitrile hose which is a no no.

&

no problemo gentlemen
Old October 20th, 2009, 09:34 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Fuel Filler hose is getting soft

My fuel filler hose is getting soft and just started leaking. I run Biodiesel all year round. Since the fuel system assembly was installed new just 5 years ago I assumed they used synthetic hoses only. This appears not to be the case as you can see in the picture. Do I need to drop the tank to be able to replace this hose?

What type of hose should I replace it with (Willcox Hose?) and where do I get it?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuel Filler Hose.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	22301  
Old October 20th, 2009, 09:45 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I don't know what you want to replace it with. I ran bio for a long time and never had a problem. Anyway, you don't need to drop the tank, just put slices in the hose after you remove the hose clamps and pry it off. The new one will go on nice and easy with some lube.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old October 20th, 2009, 10:48 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Jim,

What blend do you run? I'm running B99. That high of a blend can damage the hoses. Rovers North did my 300tdi install and I have put in a request to find out what type of hoses they used for the fuel system. I just want to make sure it is not degrading and leaving residue that ends up damaging my engine. The filler hose feels really soft. Is it supposed to be soft?
Old October 21st, 2009, 06:59 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
It was b100 and b99 after they came out with the blend rule. It very well could be a natural rubber fill hose, but all I was saying was that I don't know the composition of new hoses, so I don't know really what to recommend. I did install a new hose when I did mine and didn't have a problem, so perhaps the composition changed. I ran bio long enough to ruin the little return hoses on top of the engine, so I suspect my fill hose would have been compromised also.

If your truck was NAS converted to tdi, I bet they just left the original fuel lines in it, why don't you inspect them where they enter the lift pump? I'm sure you'll notice if they are looking bad.

Old October 21st, 2009, 11:00 AM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

I have a brand new 110 filler hose (http://www.lrseries.com/shop/product...LLER-HOSE.html) that I bought from LR Series a while back. Couldn't use it as I didn't realize the HCPU hose is a bit longer. Doh! Wasn't worth returning. $30 shipped.

While we're on the subject: I've noticed that the gasket on my diesel cap has gone soft. Needless to say, hard left turns with a full tank and I lose diesel. Dunno if it's from running biodiesel or not.

"Fossil Fuel Rapid Disposal Unit"
Old October 21st, 2009, 11:52 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I heard back from RN this morning. It is indeed a natural rubber hose. All OEM filler hoses were (are?) natural rubber. They left the old fuel system in place. A viton hose would be ideal but they don't make them that size. Still a synthetic hose would be a major improvement over the rubber one.

Chance, thanks for the offer. Is this a synthetic hose? It doesn't appear to be long enough to fit my 90. My filler cap started leaking a bit too. I'm suspecting the gasket is natural rubber?

Here's some good info I got from the guys at Greaseworks here in OR regarding Biodiesel and hose compatibility:

"Biodiesel permeation of fuel lines is the first sign of fuel hose degradation, and does not appear to affect performance. However, if "sweaty" hoses are left on the vehicle, the next phase of degradation--loss of elasticity--can hinder performance. When a fuel hose loses its elasticity it becomes mushy, and does not exhibit rebound when exposed to the Squeeze Test: Squeeze the suspect hose between two fingers and note its elasticity or rebound. If it does not spring back to round, it has failed this test and should be replaced. Hoses that cannot hold their round shape are prone to collapsing under the relatively low-'pressure' vacuum (3-8 in/Hg on pre-92 VW diesels) of the fuel injection pump, thus restricting fuel-flow and potentially leading to a fuel-starved engine.

The next phase of fuel hose degradation is hose swelling and splitting. This is generally a long-term phenomena (>6 months B100 use) and will eventually lead to a complete failure of the affected hose, either by a breach in the hose wall, or by literally melting an end off, usually at a hose clamp. While many hoses seem to initially handle B100 quite nicely, very few can handle continued B100 use over the long-term. Viton® fluoroelastomer hose is one group of hoses that is B100 resistant over the long-term, (rated at 400* F continuous use), and is far and away the best option at present for long-term B100 use."
Old October 21st, 2009, 12:54 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Chance, I'll take your hose.

Old October 21st, 2009, 02:50 PM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal
Chance, thanks for the offer. Is this a synthetic hose? It doesn't appear to be long enough to fit my 90. My filler cap started leaking a bit too. I'm suspecting the gasket is natural rubber?
Nah, I'm sure the replacement part is natural rubber. The gasket appears to be the same. Might as well cut a new one out of an inner tube. I wonder if NAPA sells rubber gasket material.

For better or for worse, all I can get around here is B5. If I drive to Denver, I can get B20 (which is all I probably want to run here in the winter anyway).

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
Ooooh, that don't sound right.

You got it. Paypal to geurin at gmail is OK. Make sure your VIN is in the right range:

Part number: NTC2337

Applicable Models:
Defender 110 to vin WA159809

Product Description:
Fuel filler hose, main for under rear body fuel tank 110" models.

"Fossil Fuel Rapid Disposal Unit"
Old October 21st, 2009, 03:45 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
Damn you!

Can I have the used one then? Please don't cut it or at least give me the one I sent with you on the tank I gave to you. I need something.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
fuel