Source for chassis (tail) harness - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 4th, 2010, 12:57 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Source for chassis (tail) harness

I need to get a new chassis harness.

Who sells complete harnesses? I couldn't find anything on RN and AB.

I think I have a short somewhere in the vicinity of my passenger rear speaker box that's causing the turn signal lamp to short onto the brake lamp. There is a suspicious section of missing electrical tape on the harness as it passes through the wheel well. Still, the exposed wiring there seems intact. Perhaps the short lies further up, inside the frame.

Finally, where on the bulkhead does the chassis harness terminate? Is it as simple as using the old harness to fish the new harness through?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 4th, 2010, 08:51 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

I purchased a chassis harness for my 1984 ROW 90 from autosparks, it took a few months to get becuase they made it to order.

Not sure if the NAS rear harness is diffrent but if they have the information maybe they can make you one?

Send them an email with your VIN and 90's information and see what they say.

http://www.autosparks.co.uk/index.php?cPath=114
Old June 4th, 2010, 09:13 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
They do not do NAS stuff. I used them for a new harness for my truck as well.... Very nice stuff though..
Advertisement

Old June 9th, 2010, 01:22 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Solved my problem tonight, I'm pretty sure. Turns out that the bullet connector on one of the black wires (ground I'm pretty sure) in the rear passenger speaker box was not making a good electrical connection within the little black snap connector. When the connection was not made and the turn signal (I think) was not grounded, the brake light would flash instead of the turn signal. I put some dielectric grease on the bullet connector end and put it back in and it worked. I taped everything up with electrical tape real good just to be sure.
Old September 21st, 2012, 11:02 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Reviving an old thread. I need a new rear chassis harness ASAP. I've done some searching here and found a few posts that say they're NLA.

Has anyone found a new one recently?

Does British Wiring sell the proper connectors so I can just make my own? This may not be so bad. If I build my own, I would like to encase it in flexible braided sleeving. I've used this for my 2m radio install and it's awesome.

http://shop.genuinedealz.com/Marine%...id%20Sleeving/
Old September 21st, 2012, 11:32 PM
sirjond
Jonny
1995 D90 ST Alpine White

I bought a genuine rear harness from RN at the beginning of the year. I thought i got lucky at the time, but they said that they get them every once in a while. Call and ask Arthur.

------ Follow up post added September 21st, 2012 11:38 PM ------

Wow...it went way up in price. I only paid $200 for it a few months back.

http://www.roversnorth.com/p-18555-h...r-90-1995.aspx
Old September 22nd, 2012, 12:16 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Hmm.... I wonder if that would work on an early 94. I've never seen a 95 harness and don't know if it uses the same connectors.
Old September 22nd, 2012, 12:36 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Thanks, Jeff. It looks like Horsey is still going round and round with Rovertek on a new harness. Rovertek, if you're reading this:

1. Do your harnesses use the correct connectors for a 94 NAS truck?
2. What wire are you using for these? Correct color-coded wire from British Wiring? Something else?
3. Will you do a custom wrapped harness? I want to use the PVC tape like the factory harness uses, and then enclose it in flexible braided sleeving for extra protection against abrasion inside the frame.
4. How much do you want for this harness and how soon can you deliver?
Old September 22nd, 2012, 09:44 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell
Thanks, Jeff. It looks like Horsey is still going round and round with Rovertek on a new harness. Rovertek, if you're reading this:

1. Do your harnesses use the correct connectors for a 94 NAS truck?
2. What wire are you using for these? Correct color-coded wire from British Wiring? Something else?
3. Will you do a custom wrapped harness? I want to use the PVC tape like the factory harness uses, and then enclose it in flexible braided sleeving for extra protection against abrasion inside the frame.
4. How much do you want for this harness and how soon can you deliver?
I asked him how much and he just said labor rate times how many hours it takes plus cost of parts...

I'll be in London in November and if I don't have it fixed by then I may just have the harness that ipgregory posted in the other thread, shipped to the hotel we have for the month.
Old September 22nd, 2012, 09:57 AM
rovertek
chris
D130, 2001+99 p38

Hey guys here's the deal this harness thing is still in its infant stage i'm trying to source the exact colors but for now i have stuff that is close i usually give a wire to wire color chart in case i don't have the correct color and yes i have tracer wires not just solid colors
as for the wire being used its not box store stuff using XLP same wire used in most car manufacturing wire harnesses
I'm using gm weather-pac connectors for there availability and reliability
and yes the harness is wrapped in PVC also all connections are staggered and soldered shrink wrapped and bonding tape is used on all connections.
i was using convoluted tubing at first but will now do both .
realize this is very time consuming if done right ill be starting a 90 wagon within a few days . ill be making an extra one and plan on building a harness in kit form but would need some ideas what is needed for now I've been starting at the bulkhead where it enters the frame back..
as for price TBD... PM or call me to discuss ... Like me on Facebook ...Rovertek
Old September 22nd, 2012, 10:12 AM
rovertek
chris
D130, 2001+99 p38

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
I asked him how much and he just said labor rate times how many hours it takes plus cost of parts...
Really whats your deal brother ? you should really think before you want to increase your posts ... yes you asked me and i was being straight up and fair with you and i could have told you $1500 and you would have been bashing me on how expensive and that its not original blah blah blah you obviously have no ideal what kind of labor is involved to do it right ! anyone can use a trailer harness and scotch locks
No hard feelings just telling how it is !
Old September 22nd, 2012, 12:19 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rovertek

Really whats your deal brother ? you should really think before you want to increase your posts ... yes you asked me and i was being straight up and fair with you and i could have told you $1500 and you would have been bashing me on how expensive and that its not original blah blah blah you obviously have no ideal what kind of labor is involved to do it right ! anyone can use a trailer harness and scotch locks
No hard feelings just telling how it is !
I really don't know why you find an issue with me recounting what you said???? That is what you said and I/we/YOU still have no idea how much it'll cost, or even an estimate. I didn't say anything about it being unfair - FUCK I have no idea how much it will even cost, to come up with a feeling of fair or not. Stop assuming the worst shit out of my posts as that's not how they should be taken.

Let's see some of your products, solutions, and workmanship and they'll speak for themselves around here. Search Trailhead 4x4 on here as an example. If it's a great product at a "fair" price then people here will basically sell your shit for you.
Old September 22nd, 2012, 12:45 PM
rovertek
chris
D130, 2001+99 p38

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
I really don't know why you find an issue with me recounting what you said???? That is what you said and I/we/YOU still have no idea how much it'll cost, or even an estimate. I didn't say anything about it being unfair - FUCK I have no idea how much it will even cost, to come up with a feeling of fair or not. Stop assuming the worst shit out of my posts as that's not how they should be taken.

Let's see some of your products, solutions, and workmanship and they'll speak for themselves around here. Search Trailhead 4x4 on here as an example. If it's a great product at a "fair" price then people here will basically sell your shit for you.
Ok Captain quote ..RELAX ......so sensitive .... OK maybe i looked into your posts a little too much . if you want to see some of my work check my facebook page out ...
from what ive seen on the forum there are some very talented guys on here and working together will make a very informative helpful forum to keep these trucks alive and valuable ... i'm just offering some of my years of knowledge that land rover trained me on and passing it on ....
Old September 22nd, 2012, 02:22 PM
jimmybuffett
Tom
Hell On Wheels....

Registry
FWIW, I've known Chris (Rovertek) for some time, he's extremely knowledgable, 110% trustworthy and a true gentleman. His work does speak for it self .
I think sometimes the tone in these threads gets misinterpreted and we wind up on some crazy tangent.
Tom
Old September 22nd, 2012, 04:42 PM
sirjond
Jonny
1995 D90 ST Alpine White

Ok, now I am confused. What the hell is this compared to what I got (I haven't used mine just yet)?

http://www.roversnorth.com/p-18556-h...er-90-nas.aspx

This is what I have;

http://www.roversnorth.com/p-18555-h...r-90-1995.aspx

Can anyone shed some light on this. If not, I will call RN.
Old September 22nd, 2012, 04:46 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

I would like to see some photos.

For my harness, I want to stick with the shitty factory-style British connectors and the properly colored wire. I'm not interested in any color code conversion charts; that shit just gets misplaced. I want a harness with the standard PVC wrapping but covered in that flex-braid sleeving because it's really tough and it helps the bundle slide over surfaces more easily.

I'm not looking to cheapfuck anybody on this. Like Horsey says, I just need to see an example of the product and a rough price.
Old September 22nd, 2012, 07:18 PM
rovertek
chris
D130, 2001+99 p38

RN last time i checked 2 months ago NLA this is why were having this convo ... if i could find a supplier for the connectors ..the rest is down hill ..
Old September 22nd, 2012, 10:25 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
I have a supplier for the connectors but don't have the info on my phone. I'll see if I can track it down tomorrow.
Old September 22nd, 2012, 10:57 PM
rovertek
chris
D130, 2001+99 p38

I agree with using factory conectors but i eliminate the bullet connectors there just plain shit and exspose the wire to corrosion.....most of my customers requested no connectors at all .....
Old September 23rd, 2012, 11:09 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

British Wiring may have them.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions