Sound System troubles outweigh advantages?? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 16th, 2007, 10:53 AM
97Ariesblu
kyle scheppler
1997/D-90 Station Wagon

Sound System troubles outweigh advantages??

Its always nice to have great sound in your vehicle but when it causes more trouble than good its just not worth it. Im sure people have, but i was wondering if the people that have had beat (subs) in their truck can let me know how it has gone...is every screw in the truck loose? do things rattle all the time? i was debating making a custom box to put under one side of the back seats (I have 97 wagon) and just have that side of the seats permanently down over the top of it...But the more I think about it the more im afraid that everything is just going to start loosening up and go to shit.
has anyone had experience with this?

I need to upgrade sound quality in my car desperately cause i like my music loud and if i cant add subs does anyone have any suggestions as to some good products that are good alternatives that will still sound real nice with somewhat of a knock nothing huge.

thx for any suggestions and wisdom
ky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 16th, 2007, 11:27 AM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

I have a sub and it works great. It isn't a huge thumping one ( bazooka tube ) but with my JL amp and memphis acoustics speakers the truck sounds really nice and LOUD. Nothing coming lose yet after 3 years with this system.
Old May 16th, 2007, 11:31 AM
Dreamline
Nate Keisling
94 D90 ST

Stereo

Kyle, I love music and enjoy having it at work, driving, etc. I am putting a new system in my 94 ST this week. I am attempting to go with an amp and better speakers and go without a sub to start and I'll see if that is adequate enough, it may not be, I don't know yet. I don't listen to rap/hip-hop so being able to be heard bumping down the street wasn't a priority for me. My main goal is to just put in a system that is relatively solid for me with the top off. I know there is always going to be a road/vehicle/wind noise component but we'll see if this set-up I put together works.

I'll PM you my set-up when I get it finished this week, don't have all the specs/details with me right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 16th, 2007, 01:06 PM
anthony
Anthony Leung
1995 D90SW #51

i have a 10in pioneer premier sub, with a custom box i made it makes a hugh difference, but when my truck was an SW it actually hit to hard, it's much nicer as an ST. Cool thing about the sub i used is it only requires .5 cu FT of air in a sealed box, and .3 in a ported. I have infiniti Cappa's in the front but the sound quality isn't that hot with the road noise, so going higher end is quite useless.
1995 D90sw #51 (Converted to ST)
1997 D90ST
2006 LR3 HSE (untouched... for now)
Old May 16th, 2007, 03:27 PM
draaronr
Here
LR3

Well I would comment on this, but I took a beating last summer/fall on this topic. I say go for it, I did and I love it. I did dynamat everything, the only thing that pics up vibes in certain conditions is the plastic doors.
Old May 16th, 2007, 08:36 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by draaronr
Well I would comment on this, but I took a beating last summer/fall on this topic. I say go for it, I did and I love it. I did dynamat everything, the only thing that pics up vibes in certain conditions is the plastic doors.
word.
Attached Images

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old May 16th, 2007, 09:08 PM
draaronr
Here
LR3

yeah that is my best eminem impression I could do

Follow-up Post:

since nate asked here are some pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	defender90 022.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	9356   Click image for larger version

Name:	defender90 023.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	9358  

Name:	defender90 024.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	9359   Click image for larger version

Name:	defender90 031.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	9360  

Name:	defender90 029.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	9361   Click image for larger version

Name:	defender90 026.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	9362  

Name:	defender90 030.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	9363   Click image for larger version

Name:	defender90 025.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	9364  

Old May 17th, 2007, 08:13 PM
97Ariesblu
kyle scheppler
1997/D-90 Station Wagon

that set-up looks cool unfortunately i have 97 SW so i have safari style seating with the seats facing each other...i dont have that extra space...im thinking i should just upgrade to hella nice speakers and some tweeters i dont know..i just really want 2 12" JL W7's with a 1000Wamp like in my jeep buts its too scary to put in the car i care more about not to mention i actually want to use the back area for stuff instead of a huge box just chilling...i like knock but not if its guna mess up shit either in the 90 its too precious...all i need is something that i can turn loud and not have that shitty sound quality to go with it...i like clear sound not scratchy
Old May 17th, 2007, 11:12 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Ariesblu
that set-up looks cool unfortunately i have 97 SW so i have safari style seating with the seats facing each other...i dont have that extra space...im thinking i should just upgrade to hella nice speakers and some tweeters i dont know..i just really want 2 12" JL W7's with a 1000Wamp like in my jeep buts its too scary to put in the car i care more about not to mention i actually want to use the back area for stuff instead of a huge box just chilling...i like knock but not if its guna mess up shit either in the 90 its too precious...all i need is something that i can turn loud and not have that shitty sound quality to go with it...i like clear sound not scratchy
HOLY CRAP! JL 12W7....you wanted to put two of those in the SW??? I guess you weren't kidding when you said you wanted some beats. As much as I like subs (I have a JL 13W7 w/ the JL 1000W amp...not in my D), personally I think that would be a bit much. You haven't gone deaf yet? I sometimes wish I'd just gotten the 10W7. On the other hand, I'd like to see someone try an steal it, with the MDF enclosure the sub box is back-breaking. Now I understand why you're worried about rattling your truck to pieces.

Have you checked out the MTX JackHammer, it's a 22" SuperWoofer. Standing in at 23" tall, 320 pounds, and with 12,000 watt peak music power handling!!!! This was installed on a car on the MTV Show "Pimp My Ride". They used a cherry picker to get it in the car. http://www.mtxaudio.com/caraudio/pro...jackHammer.cfm

http://www.thetrue22.com/
Old May 17th, 2007, 11:27 PM
61rover
John Crouse
'93 NAS D110 (#8) / '61 Series II

Registry
Sound System troubles outweigh advantages??

Wow. These all make the 8-Track in my Series look really weak.
Old May 17th, 2007, 11:48 PM
97Ariesblu
kyle scheppler
1997/D-90 Station Wagon

ya i saw that episode .. they actually put two of those in the truck...crazy!...ya my jeep cj-7 is always open so ya its still loud as shit of course but not as loud as a closed top car you know...and since its in a open top car it doesnt rattle everything loose..
ya i used to like to have a lot of bump when i rolled around, but im outa that stage but whenever i havnt heard the beat in a while and i go and drive around and listen to it im always glad i have it...esp when yer a couple beers deep and theres a good song on ..

*under the limit of course!!*
dont drink and drive... !! not cool

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
sound system