Sound Proofing Suggestions? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 11th, 2008, 10:29 PM
Ronanmd1
Jason
1997 D90 HS2.8

Sound Proofing Suggestions?

Hey guys - recently purchased a 1997 D-90 with the 2.8 International diesel. Loving the truck but it gets a little cold (and very noisy) inside the cab up here in Calgary. Thinking of adding some soundproofing to the truck. Hoping it might help keep some of the heat inside as well. Wondering about experiences with the Dynamat products (or other suggestions). Thinking of laying Dynamat in the footwells, under bonnet, in doors and rear load mat area. Then laying a carpet or mat over top. Anyone else done this or have suggestions?

Cheers

Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 12th, 2008, 07:44 AM
needsaD110
Ben
97 D90 #1345

Dnyamat extreme every where you can put it, also some thin dynaliner will really help once joined with dnyamat extreme. For the little holes on the back of the tub alon the edges, use dnyaplate then add dnyamat over this.

My dodge ram 2500 is diesel also but it very loud! their is no silencer ring due to aftermarket turbo and it has a 4' straight pipe with mud tires added to the mix, I have 94' sq ft. of dynamat extreme and dynaliner just between my floor and two of my doors and I'm not done(this is my DD and I'm into car audio). My goal is to block out every single road noise I can and I have almost achieved that, It also helps with heat a whole bunch.
Old February 12th, 2008, 08:04 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
the LR HD floor, bulkhead and seat box mat works well also. I got them from RDS. I also put the dynamat under hood kit in my truck and completely did the inside of my doors. It makes them shut better and stops rattles as well.
Advertisement

Old February 12th, 2008, 10:20 AM
Ronanmd1
Jason
1997 D90 HS2.8

Soundproofing

Thanks guys - Appreciate the advice. Looks like I have another spring project!

Jason
Old February 12th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Lee
Lee O
95 NAS D-90 300Tdi

Check out http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

I'm in the research part of this now - most of what I've read says to use butyl vs asphalt sound deadener.
Old February 25th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Lee
Lee O
95 NAS D-90 300Tdi

Anyone have any thoughts on how to soundproof the pedal box? Is there a rubber boot available?

My truck has b-quiet thru almost the entire interior (engine is 300tdi). In an attempt to quiet further, I used Cascade Audio's VB-4 which is a noise barrier. This was placed on the firewall just below the bulkhead vents and then all the way to the seat boxes and over the tranny hump. All open holes thru the firewall were closed up and the VB-4 starts at the upper dash support. I did not glue it to the b-quiet as the mfg recommended it works better by not gluing.

Now that I've done this, the vehicle is quieter, but there is still a substantial amount of noise coming thru the pedal box (fancy diagnostic - imagine me inverted in the driver's and passenger's seat with the doors closed to hear where the noise is coming from.)

thx

-Lee
Old February 25th, 2008, 01:26 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
I'm also interested in this topic, and currently doing same. I have put SoundKiller Damplifier Pro matting on the seat box, tranny hump, interior firewall and 2nd row floor, and also put Sounkiller sludge in the floor box and kick panel. So far it has had a slight effect. Was hoping for more at this point. It's the diesel knock that is really piercing through, and I'm starting to think that these products are engineered for other sound frequencies, as the diesel knock is the only thing I can hear now. I also have 1 layer of sludge on the bonnet underside. I have noticed that when I open my front vents, the diesel knock get's much louder, which suggests to me that if I can find a deadener that works on the diesel knock frequency, and I install it under the bonnet, that I would have a significant reduction.

So, thoughts?
Old February 25th, 2008, 01:42 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Mark - have you put anything on the underside of the hood or inside/behind the dash?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old February 25th, 2008, 01:55 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
the bonnet underside has the 1 coat of sludge, and I haven't pulled the dash to put anything behind that. Only what's exposed, from floor up to bottom of A/C.
Old February 25th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Lee
Lee O
95 NAS D-90 300Tdi

Mark -

The deadener gets you part way there. Also, you've probably got holes thru the firewall behind the dash that need to get plugged (even unused screw holes). I think you should also consider a barrier too (Luxury Liner Pro is from the same mfg of Damplifier.)

I've done the barrier and the diesel sound in the passenger footwell is noticeably gone.

My problem now is the holes in the pedal box.

Also check your gasket below the boot on the shifter/tranny hump. Mine had cracks and holes and I just plugged them w/ Seal 'N Peel- a removable caulk from 3M (don't confuse this w/ Peal and Seal - a roofing underlayment that's sometimes used as an deadener).

I talked w/ Cascade about a sound absorber for the hood - they have a hood liner product available, but they suggested that most of the diesel sound transmission was coming thru the firewall and bouncing off the road and thru the floor. He thought any sound absorber on the hood would be far less beneficial than first sealing any air holes thru the firewall and floor and then putting a sound barrier over the firewall/floor. He quoted something to the effect that 98% of the sound transmission was through air holes that represented less than 2% of the total surface area.

-Lee
Old February 25th, 2008, 04:05 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Jeez! That's got to be the most actionable information I've received in a long time! I have a new mission! Thanks a gazillion.

On the same note, being in the National Guard, our units now have a new utility truck called the LMTV (http://www.4wdonline.com/SS/LMTV.html) , which is made by Oshkosh I believe. When I last road in one, I was in this process of tackling the diesel sound in my truck. The LMTV's are forward cab diesels, and I couldn't believe how quiet they were, given that I was sitting 6 inches above the engine. I literally could NOT hear the engine while driving. When I went to examine the soundproofing used, I notice that the entire cab interior had been blown with some kind of foamy like plastic-ish material that looked like that sprayable interior insulation. On top of that was some strategic layers of a rubber like barrier. I would love to know what that stuff was.
Old February 25th, 2008, 05:30 PM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

[QUOTE=TDI Guy]the LR HD floor, bulkhead and seat box mat works well also. I got them from RDS. QUOTE]

Randy, are you referring to the stock NAS ST pieces, or is what you used something different?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
roof