Sound Proofing Nirvana - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 12th, 2008, 10:23 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Talking Sound Proofing Nirvana

Well I found it. After months of research and despair. I posted the question in the Second Skin forum of "what one product would have the biggest impact on diesel noise". The board tech responded, 'without a doubt, Luxury Liner Pro". So I ordered up 2 sheets (2'x4') as a gamble.

It arrived a couple days ago, and I just finished the install last night. Mind you, I had really nothing in it prior to this. The 2 sheets were seriously dense, with a heavy rubber backing (like the LR HD matts) with about a 1/2" of closed cell foam on top of it. As a bonus, it happened to be the exact same grey as the Defender interior accents and door panels. The 2 sheets were sufficient to create a full tunnel cover, floor matts, and bulkhead cover to include upper footwell areas on both sides and full wrap around for fuse panel area. I drove around doing my weekend activities today, and was BLOWN away by the sound improvement. The overbearing diesel clacking that prevented a normal conversation has been quieted to a complete purr, even on the highway. I could actually have a conversation on the highway with my 4 year old daughter in the backseat on the way to swim class this morning. I can also now hear the muffled sound of my tires, due to the loss of diesel noise. I am so stoked about the results I had to share. I haven't even done the seat box, doors or 2nd row yet. I can't even imagine how much better it could possibly be? It's almost as quiet as my wifes 03' Disco.

For those still searching for an answer: Dont' give up, there is hope out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 12th, 2008, 10:54 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
well how much did it cost from where did you get it. does it help with noise and dude a couple photos?
Old July 13th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Here's the product link. I got 2 sheets direct from SecondSkin. It was $103 shipped.

http://www.secondskinaudio.com/noise...-Liner-Pro.php

I'll get some pics in the next day or so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 13th, 2008, 10:23 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Would like to see pics as well.
Old July 28th, 2008, 11:15 AM
Santiago
Santiago Gigola

Overlander:
Pics would be great!

Had you tried other stuff like Noise Killer or Dynamax before?

Cheers,
Santiago
Old July 28th, 2008, 11:29 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
no i haven't. today is a good day for pics, so I'll post some later.
Old July 28th, 2008, 02:35 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

Mark- Thanks for the suggestion. I was in the market, read this post and bought a roll.

I installed it around the middle the of the bulkhead, and inside the tunnel cover.

Inside (tranny side) the tunnel cover made a huge difference. I linexed the outside of the tunnel cover and had no insulation on top which made it loud.
I put two layers on the inside and used aluminum tape to cover the inside. I also cut some pieces to fit on top under the rubber boot.

worked great and cost $55.

Follow-up Post:

With regards to a PM...

Sorry, No pics avaliable. And I'm not taking to cover off again!

There is stock insulation inside the tunnel cover. Nothing fancy just cheap foam. All I did was remove that and install this.

I was worried about the temperature so thats why I used the aluminum tape. I had my EGT's up to 1200 for sustained hills last weekend and there was no issue with the foam. Plus the tunnel cover is not even metal.

I dont think overheating the tranny or tcase would be an issue because there is still plenty of air flow from the bottom and there is still a substantial gap on the sides of the case.

Let me know if I'm wrong on any of this.
Old July 28th, 2008, 04:32 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Ok, here's my uploaded pics. http://www.flickr.com/photos/2793301...631516/detail/

To make the cuts, I used a cheap clear plastic painters drop cloth, that I then cut up into the same size as the 2 sheets of Luxury Liner. I used a permanent marker to make rough templates on the sheets, then I used the sheet to make my cut marks on the liner.

It would defintely help to have a 2nd hand (and more time) to do this. I cut the tunnel cover first, then the bulkhead upper section, and lastly the floor.

Installed with 3M #90 adhesive, and further held by removing pedal box bolts, cutting bolt holes in liner, and reinstalling with liner in place.

remaining to do is the seatboxes and rear floor, and I'll call it a day. I also want to put an hoodliner under the bonnet, to soften the sound when my vents are open.

again, very impressed with the results.

If I could do it again, I would use water based markers, instead of permanent markers, when making my marks on the liner ( I switched half way through). The only markings I do see still are on the tunnel cover cutout around the stick gaiter, but those will be hidden by the MudUK tunnel tray when I get it, so who cares?

Let me know if the link isn't working or if you have questions.

I am still amazed at how perfect a match the grey color of the liner is for a Defender interior.
Old July 28th, 2008, 08:59 PM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

Mark - This stuff looks interesting, and I may give it a try. Did you check to see if you still have full accelerator pedal travel. I have Dynamat, Xtremeliner, factory carpet, and floor mats. The build-up of all this stuff took away from pedal travel so I had to cut it out in that area. BTW, I didn't notice any improvement in noise either. So I may consider swapping out the Xtremeliner for the Luxury Liner.
Old July 28th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
The only interference I had after install was with the pedal travel stop bolt. so I also cut out a hole for it. The soundproofing on either side forward of the tunnel matt (adjacent to the accelerator pedal) doesn't have any bolts I could use to assist holding the liner, so I did 3M it, and I will drill a small hole in the center of either side and use an plastic upholstery bolt to hold it. having the liner completely covering the exposed bulkhead, really made a difference. particularly over any exposed holes (like openings in the wiring grommets, etc. ). an expert told me that a majority of noise penetrates through small openings, and it is the first place to silence. the lining (unglued) across the fuse panel area, covering all those holes made a huge difference in itself.

BTW, I used Second Skin Damplifier Pro (like Dynamat) and firewall as well, but they didn't make much difference. they are not designed for the soundwave of the diesel. Thanks to the Luxury Liner, the diesel purring now is really nice.

BTW, making the template by myself, in a hurry, at night..was a beeyoch. take the time and get someone to help.
Old February 9th, 2009, 01:04 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I'm planning on sound proofing my NAS Diesel D90 and I have been looking at Dynamat Extreme because it seems like it has be best Acoustic Loss Factor in relation to its thickness but now that you mentioned the Second Skin products this sounds like an appealing option as well. I'm willing to spend more for a thin material that does a kick ass job. I am also planning to do the full interior roof and doors. I know Dynamat has been mentioned but I would like to know if anyone has had personal experience with the Dynamat Extreme and how this compares to the Luxury Liner? Is there any metrics out there for how good the Luxury Liner is?
Old February 9th, 2009, 08:08 AM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander
It's almost as quiet as my wifes 03' Disco.
Aww shucks, I was hoping to read "my wife's Lexus" or "Prius" or something. An '03 Disco is still an improvement for sure though.
Old March 19th, 2010, 01:11 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Soundproofing the Bonnet?

Soundproofing the Bonnet (with Dynamat, etc).

Is it worth the effort?
Old March 19th, 2010, 03:25 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

What I did is a bit extreme and ended up with all kinds of clearance adjustments needed but I think it's going to make a massive difference. The photos are up at the link below. There are still a few more steps that are going to be done. If I was doing it again I would probably change a couple things in the approach to keep fit as close to stock as possible but hindsight 20/20 and all that.

------ Follow up post added March 19th, 2010 03:26 PM ------

Oh, on the bonnet get the hliner from B-Quiet.com or the Dynamat Hoodliner, you don't want to use the butyl matting here or anything heavy as it will end up coming off with the heat eventually. Apparently the best thing you can do is a lead-blanket though, I'm going to see how things sit after all the current mods before considering one myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old November 28th, 2010, 10:51 PM
snosrfr
Chuck
95 D90

Mark,

thanks for the quick write up and pix. just curious, did you finish your installation (seats, bonnet etc)? how has it held up?

thanks,
-Chuck
Old November 28th, 2010, 11:11 PM
97-D90-736
Nick Vogel
1997 D-90 / 2012 LR4

I would like to know how about the bonnet application. I would do the tunnel as well, but getting to it with the auto is a PITA.
Old November 30th, 2010, 06:29 PM
punter
Scott
1966 Series IIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
I'm planning on sound proofing my NAS Diesel D90 and I have been looking at Dynamat Extreme because it seems like it has be best Acoustic Loss Factor in relation to its thickness but now that you mentioned the Second Skin products this sounds like an appealing option as well. I'm willing to spend more for a thin material that does a kick ass job. I am also planning to do the full interior roof and doors. I know Dynamat has been mentioned but I would like to know if anyone has had personal experience with the Dynamat Extreme and how this compares to the Luxury Liner? Is there any metrics out there for how good the Luxury Liner is?
If you're serious about trying to cut down on noise, check out this site:
http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi

It has a wealth of information about sound deadening and what types of products do what.

Cheers,
Scott

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
roof