Sound Proofing a Soft Top Diesel? Worth it? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 22nd, 2013, 05:06 PM
spammer
Samdford Wallace
95 RRC LWB / 86 Tithnous

Sound Proofing a Soft Top Diesel? Worth it?

Just brought my soft top 110 Tithonus home from LA. The drive was long, loud and cold. I don't think my heater is working properly but I haven't had time to diagnose it yet. I knew these trucks were loud, but man you weren't kidding! It is pretty tolerable around town, but I drove home flooring it the whole way and it sounded like a jet was taking off inside my Defender at freeway speeds.

So my first project was going to be sound proofing (Dynomat or sound proofing paint or both), but I have to also consider the fact that I will be putting on a soft top soon. Is it pointless to add some sound proofing to a soft top Defender? It would be nice to be able to have some sort of conversation on the freeway and maybe some music. Maybe it is a lost cause? Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 22nd, 2013, 05:45 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
I think that will be a lost cause.
Old December 22nd, 2013, 05:55 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Buy a Toyota if you want quiet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 22nd, 2013, 06:03 PM
Rommel
Rolf
94/95/97 Many

Sound

Earbuds.
Old December 22nd, 2013, 07:05 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
The heater probably is working ... They aren't very effective and as for sound deadening ... Especially a soft top ... You'd be wasting your money and time..
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old December 22nd, 2013, 08:35 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by spammer View Post
Just brought my soft top 110 Tithonus home from LA. The drive was long, loud and cold. I don't think my heater is working properly but I haven't had time to diagnose it yet. I knew these trucks were loud, but man you weren't kidding! It is pretty tolerable around town, but I drove home flooring it the whole way and it sounded like a jet was taking off inside my Defender at freeway speeds.

So my first project was going to be sound proofing (Dynomat or sound proofing paint or both), but I have to also consider the fact that I will be putting on a soft top soon. Is it pointless to add some sound proofing to a soft top Defender? It would be nice to be able to have some sort of conversation on the freeway and maybe some music. Maybe it is a lost cause? Any advice?
Sam- I misplaced the pictures you sent of the steering wheel etc- what tires are on it ? Tire noise can be horrendous depending on which ones are fitted.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 22nd, 2013, 09:10 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Don't do ANYTHING unless Chris Snell apporves. Seriously dude, DO NOT DO IT!
Old December 22nd, 2013, 09:26 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
If you think about it - a good holiday read is here....

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/
Old December 22nd, 2013, 09:45 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

My diesels have always been pretty good on the heat and can bake you out. However if you are running at highway speed and it is cold out the engine doesn't like to heat up with out blocking off part of the radiator.
I have used the sound deadening to some degree and it helps but it still isn't as quiet as you may want. As Doug mentions the tires can make a big difference. The soft tops seem to add to the problem.
Old December 22nd, 2013, 10:04 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

There are a bunch of guys on here that like to repeat the same thing over again and again regarding soundproofing...

There are a couple of threads covering effective soundproofing. Do a quick search for luxury liner or dynamat. You really can improve engine and road noise quite a bit in a Defender despite it being fun to claim otherwise. But you need to do it properly.

------ Follow up post added December 22nd, 2013 10:06 PM ------

I should add, this is assuming you have realistic goals. You can never expect a really quiet cabin, but you can go from ear bleeding to able to carry on a conversation by sealing the cabin up and putting dynamat and something like luxury liner pro in the right spots.
Old December 22nd, 2013, 10:23 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

I've recently given up and upgraded to this...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F-35_Helmet_Mounted_Display_System.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	86573  
Old December 22nd, 2013, 10:42 PM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer
1957 107 wagon, 94 arles St, 101 FC

I use a mouth guard and headphones! Quiets like you cannot believe, tough to hold a conversation though.
Old December 22nd, 2013, 11:17 PM
jrose609
Jason Rose
1983 110 County 200tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
Let it go, dude
Old December 23rd, 2013, 12:04 AM
ben little
ben little
1986 ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Holy fuck - get over it. Every god damn thread I read you're crying about the same thing. Do you realize that nobody gives a shit about your short-lived digs at Chris. I don't know you, Raub, but you're whining like a little girl.
Old December 23rd, 2013, 12:19 AM
JohnBullsBollocks
Don
1963 IIA 109

Registry
A few general thoughts. There are MANY excellent soundproofing materials on the market. You need to research the materials carefully and consider placement on the vehicle. Many of the discount products have ASPHALT as a major component. Used under the bonnet, Summer temperatures and engine heat may cause the adhesive to fail leading to much unpleasantness. While Rovers will never be quiet vehicles, you can improve the driving experience and lower the DB's. My choice is any of the foil-backed, 100% butyl rubber products around 70 to 90 mil in thickness. The adhesive is pressure sensitive. Without getting into the science of acoustics, it is NOT necessary to cover the entire surface of the vehicle as the knucklehead teenage tuners love to do! I agree with the other posters, however, with a canvas top ... there is only so much you can do!
Old December 23rd, 2013, 12:38 AM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer
1957 107 wagon, 94 arles St, 101 FC

Quote:
OK, what did I miss??? Sorry to stir the pot!
Old December 23rd, 2013, 01:09 AM
spammer
Samdford Wallace
95 RRC LWB / 86 Tithnous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Sam- I misplaced the pictures you sent of the steering wheel etc- what tires are on it ? Tire noise can be horrendous depending on which ones are fitted.
Michelin XZL's. I actually think the noise is something more engine or possibly transmission related. There is a high pitch whine noise that you can hear above 60mph or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Milks View Post
My diesels have always been pretty good on the heat and can bake you out. However if you are running at highway speed and it is cold out the engine doesn't like to heat up with out blocking off part of the radiator.
I can't really feel any fan going at all actually. But I was traveling at 60+ the whole way home. I fired it up again today and can't really feel any heat. I only drove it 15 min or so and it was getting dark. I'll have a good look tomorrow.
Old December 23rd, 2013, 07:47 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Sam, part of the problem is driving highway speeds above 50 mph. Mine have all tapped and rattled excessively at these speeds too. Slowing it down takes a lot of practice and patience but does wonders for the ears and holding conversations. Congrats on the new truck and making it home safe and sound. Clay

Old December 23rd, 2013, 08:32 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Best soundproofing? Noise cancelling headphones.

But that spoils the fun!

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old December 23rd, 2013, 08:33 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
If you lift up the carpeting on a Mercedes Benz or Lexus, it's pretty easy to see how they reduce the sound in the cabin. The actual floor pan of the vehicle is 2-3 inches below the carpet, and thick acoustic foam is used to fill the gap. There's no dynamat or anything of the sort in those vehicles.

I've seen some dynamat type OEM stuff used in old Hondas and Toyotas from the 1990's though. I'm not sure it's used for sound insulation, however. My guess is that it is mostly to break up the shape of the unibody under the thin carpet.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
diesel, roof, soft top, top