Sound Proofing a Soft Top Diesel? Worth it? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 23rd, 2013, 08:52 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewie212 View Post
OK, what did I miss??? Sorry to stir the pot!
http://www.expeditionexchange.com/fo...4676#post44676

Also bashed/labeled Abe as a "flipper" and the man has never owned but 1 defender. He offers an outside of purchase/pre-purchase/test drive service on ex mod trucks @ Withams for careful people 3-6k miles away that want piece of mind that they won't get a leaky truck with wasted synchro's.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 23rd, 2013, 10:02 AM
solarguy
Abraham Bell
1985 Defender 110 Tithonus
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Thanks Doug. I have resolved the issue with Chris although he hasn't retracted the statement.
Old December 23rd, 2013, 10:53 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
http://www.expeditionexchange.com/fo...4676#post44676

Also bashed/labeled Abe as a "flipper" and the man has never owned but 1 defender. He offers an outside of purchase/pre-purchase/test drive service on ex mod trucks @ Withams for careful people 3-6k miles away that want piece of mind that they won't get a leaky truck with wasted synchro's.
The level of hypocrisy and butt-hurt in this thread is stunning.

Some people here love to hate EE, yet you read their BBS like a bunch of housewives reading Perez Hilton.

The mere mention of Daddymow's truck on an entirely different, private, customers-only BBS was enough to send him into a months'-long conniption fit on Defender Source, bashing my name at every opportunity. Never mind that I never actually said anything negative about his truck.

Daddymow, clearly insecure and still emotionally fragile from his divorce (I swear, it seems like he mentions it in every third post) has posted something negative about me in nearly every Tithonus thread since the EE post went down. Yet...Daddymow has no qualms whatsoever about bashing other people's vehicles in Defender Source's own bash thread.

/
/
/
/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 23rd, 2013, 11:09 AM
fraser61
Fraser Gourlay
1986 D110 TUM 300Tdi

Registry
By the sound of it (no pun intended) your Tithonus came without the upgrade of Exmoor Trim sound proof matting??. Bottom line is ex MoD trucks as standard are noisey but I found that in my Tithonus this matting does damp down the higher frequency noises to the point where you can converse reasonably at up to 60mph. If you do have it already then that is probably as good as it gets without going to new or more onroad biased tires. Take a look at your tire mfg date they may already be well past their best which will cause greater "druming" on the road. Cheers Fraser

2008 RRS SC
1986 D110 Tithonus 300TDi RHD
1979 S3 Lightweight
2006 ZX-10R

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, get it out with eye drops.
Old December 23rd, 2013, 11:37 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
As with most of spammer's threads, a simple search here would go a long way but I digress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
The mere mention of Daddymow's truck on an entirely different, private, customers-only BBS was enough to send him into a months'-long conniption fit on Defender Source, bashing my name at every opportunity. Never mind that I never actually said anything negative about his truck.
I thought it was your comments here that started it

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=16413

I think most of us have been taking both your and Daddymow's comments as tongue-in-cheek since he has seemed to have been commenting on the overall ridiculousness that (for example) a Tithonus hard top could somehow be as valuable as a NAS cage, or that they should not be modified for the simple reason that they're Tithonus trucks. These are ex-mod trucks, not NAS trucks. Sure they're the *nicest* ex-mod trucks available for import right now into the US, but they're still 3 door 110s which are inherently less desirable than other Defender configurations.
Old December 23rd, 2013, 11:45 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
but they're still 3 door 110s which are inherently less desirable than other Defender configurations.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=7mPWsq_Z1Xk

Old December 23rd, 2013, 11:51 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
I see at least one more top in that video that I'd like to see some holes cut out of as well...
Old December 23rd, 2013, 11:58 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Interesting
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3628643080.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	86583  

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old December 23rd, 2013, 12:07 PM
solarguy
Abraham Bell
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Like I said Chris and myself have resolved all issues.
Old December 23rd, 2013, 12:34 PM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer
1957 107 wagon, 94 arles St, 101 FC

Smh, so I didn't miss much. Sorry I provoked this!
Old December 23rd, 2013, 01:14 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben little View Post
Holy fuck - get over it. Every god damn thread I read you're crying about the same thing. Do you realize that nobody gives a shit about your short-lived digs at Chris. I don't know you, Raub, but you're whining like a little girl.
Ben, you are right, you do not know me and obviously you, Snell and Jason Rose do not get my humor. Perhapse it is a geographic issue as you all seem to be located somewhat near each other, not sure. But I now know I should have realized that I was dealing with a homorless person in the case of Snell. I will attach a icon to indicate the use of humor in the future to help with this.

As the father of a 12 year old daughter, saying that I am "whining like a little girl" in an attempt to insult me dosen't really work as my "whining little girl" has had her own 4 wheeler since she was 4 1/2 and currently has a Yamaha Grizzly 450 4x4. She knows how and when to use 4 wheel drive and understands how and when to use the front selectable locker. She is a great shot with her own S&W AR-15 and Sig Sauer pistol, she is a good fisherman and knows how to run my 23 foot center console and a resourceful problem solver. She was however a little offended that you think all little girls whine.

To the OP I apologize my attempt at humor hijacked the thread as it is a very good subject.

To Chris Snell, Ben Little and Jason Rose Merry Christmas and maybe Santa Claus will leave you some humor in your stocking this year (insert humor here).

Raub Robinson
Old December 23rd, 2013, 02:55 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by spammer View Post
Michelin XZL's. I actually think the noise is something more engine or possibly transmission related. There is a high pitch whine noise that you can hear above 60mph or so.
Sam.
XZL's are extremely noisy tires. Some love them but they are technology that is older than your truck and were designed primarily for military/agricultural use. While they have their following do to their ruggedness, tire technology has improved leaps and bounds in the past 30 years. These are a large part of what you are hearing.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old December 23rd, 2013, 03:05 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Bottom line us that these trucks were not designed to go 65MPH. Things are turning and churning at their max speed so they are going to be noisy irregardless of the tires or the insulation compared to a modern vehicle.
Old December 23rd, 2013, 03:36 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Would this truck be fitted with a 1.6 transfer box? I imagine a 1.4 would help a bit with engine noise and gear noise.
Old December 23rd, 2013, 03:39 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

With a 2.5 NA stick with the 1.6

This makes me look forward to getting mine on the road. Going to be interesting discovering the new wheels.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old December 23rd, 2013, 03:48 PM
solarguy
Abraham Bell
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I did dynamat and my truck came with the acoustic matting. I could notice a big difference when I did the whole cab of my truck. As stated above you can only do so much with the set up of a 2.5na and a 1.6 transfer case. After I get done with my swap to a 200tdi and a 1.4 transfer case I will be looking into doing dynamat under the hood. At that point I would say that the noise level will be about as good as it gets considering its a soft top.
Old December 23rd, 2013, 04:37 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
With a 2.5 NA stick with the 1.6
I kind of figured that would be the case, I wasn't sure if the military used the 1.6 for towing purposes.
Old December 23rd, 2013, 05:43 PM
ranewman
Rick Newman
85 Defender 110

Say what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
Sam, part of the problem is driving highway speeds above 50 mph. Mine have all tapped and rattled excessively at these speeds too. Slowing it down takes a lot of practice and patience but does wonders for the ears and holding conversations. Congrats on the new truck and making it home safe and sound. Clay
I fully agree. When I got mine I was told that it's a state of mind you have to have to realistically drive it. Congrats on the purchase.
As for the heat...search for the tread that nathanwind wrote. I followed his advice and even tho it's not "hot", it is comfortable down to 20f. After that bundle up.
97 Disco SD "Emma" (250k and going strong)
95 P38 "Gus" RIP
99 P38 Callaway Edition #106 RIP
85 Defender 110 2.5NA "Margret"
01 D2 SE7 "Cuzn It" (blown up POS)
03 D2 SE "Fred"
Hoarder of 2.5 NAD parts
"In God we trust. Everyone else keep their fucking hands where they can be seen."
Old January 9th, 2014, 04:45 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
Daddymow, clearly insecure and still emotionally fragile from his divorce (I swear, it seems like he mentions it in every third post) has posted something negative about me in nearly every Tithonus thread since the EE post went down. Yet...Daddymow has no qualms whatsoever about bashing other people's vehicles in Defender Source's own bash thread.
Guys, I sent a PM to Raub about this the other day but I will say it here again because it needs saying. Raub, I'm sorry for being an ass to you about your Tithonus top. Yeah, I don't like the way you did it and yeah, I would have rather seen you buy a soft top but it's your truck and that's your business. There was no need for me to be an asshole about it and that's not the kind of man I am. I'm especially sorry for mentioning your divorce. That's just uncalled for in any context. You're a nice enough guy and I hope that we can put this behind us with no hard feelings, I hope.

And Abe, I'm sorry for calling you a flipper. You're nothing of the sort. My sincere apologies for that.

With all of that said, spammer, you still annoy the hell out of me. We need to create you your own special thread where you can ask your questions and I will write some software that does a search to answer them with info that's already been posted five thousand times, or (randomly) just talks to you so you think that people are actually listening.

Chris

/
/
/
/
Old January 9th, 2014, 04:59 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Well done Chris.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
diesel, roof, soft top, top