Sound Deadening Success... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 18th, 2004, 07:00 PM
OCD90
Torrence
1997 Hardtop

Sound Deadening Success...

I did a quick job of putting in some sound deadening last night, and it was a great improvement.

In about 30-minutes I did the underhood (Dynamat Underhood product), and I did the driver and passerger side floor, then on up behind the AC on the passenger side, and to the cardboard on the drivers (Dynamat Xtreme).

I haven't even done the doors, beneath the seats, the back or anywhere else, and I have already noticed a solid difference. It's still not quiet by any means, but it was worth the $100 or so in product I've used so far.

I think the doors and both seat boxes will yield the best results, but I had an hour, and it looked (and was) easy.

The only thing I didn't like? The Dynamat has a shiny aluminum finish, so the parts that weren't covered by the OEM floormats are sort of flashy. I prefer the white of my car's color...or I may yet color them black to minimize that.

FYI.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 18th, 2004, 07:52 PM
Tawayama
Michael Slade
No Land Rovers

Torrence,

That's pretty good news. I have wondered about the Dynamat, and your report is heartening.

Did you find a place to give you a 'deal' on the stuff? I know it can be expensive, and the CB in me is keeping me from buying some.
Old February 18th, 2004, 08:54 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

That stuff works very well. I had some installed in my D90 (Doors, front foot panels, and rear tub) and noticed a big difference. $100 well spent. I might buy some more to do the fire wall.
Advertisement

Old February 18th, 2004, 08:57 PM
Rick Carlisle
Rick Carlisle
1997 Alpine White D-90 SW

This is good to hear as it is one of my next steps.
Torrence, keep us updated if you do anymore and what your experiences are.
Thanks!
Old February 19th, 2004, 01:37 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I would get it from large "wholesale" automotive paint suppliers. There is one in Colorado off Sante Fe called Painter's Supply.
Old February 19th, 2004, 08:54 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Yousef,

I still have some of the stuff you gave me so send me an email if you need some.
Old February 19th, 2004, 09:27 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

If Dave M is around I think he did his 90 with Dynamat, I think he found e-bay to be very cheap.
Old February 19th, 2004, 10:20 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
As some who now visit this board from places like Pirate say....

SEARCH.

http://www.defendersource.com/discus...s/16/2551.html

http://www.defendersource.com/discus...s/46/1012.html

http://www.defendersource.com/discus...s/46/1561.html

http://www.defendersource.com/discus...s/16/2374.html
Old February 19th, 2004, 12:48 PM
Tawayama
Michael Slade
No Land Rovers

Sweet. Nice posts. Thanks for doing the dirty work for us David.

I was also glad to see that you had positive results when using the Dynamat over the Herculiner. I erroneously thought that Rhinolining would be an effective sound deadening material, so I had damn near ever panel in the CC done. Didn't work for nothing, although it does make a nice textured surface that's easy to clean.

I will start surfing Ebay for some Dynamat or BrownBread. I kind of like the BrownBread stuff because it looks like I won't have their logo everywhere.

Nice.
Old February 19th, 2004, 03:30 PM
OCD90
Torrence
1997 Hardtop

Yes, I bought mine on Ebay. It was a LOT less than going to a stereo store. The hood was pricey $50. I got the big pack of extreme for about $100. It looks to be enough to do the doors, firewall/front floor and a bit more. I did the rear door first, and it made no difference.

The thing is still loud, but noticeably less loud (especially the highs)...and that from just the hood and front floors.
Old February 19th, 2004, 05:16 PM
Tawayama
Michael Slade
No Land Rovers

Here's 70 sq. ft. of Brown Bread for $139 bucks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=1498
Old February 20th, 2004, 10:21 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Just a quick follow up to all of this. Your going to find the best results for sound deadening by applying two layers of material in most places. I've tried to do two layers of the dynamat extreme stuff everywhere. Even under the hood.

However, while this assists in softening road noises, your going to find a whole new set of noises appear to replace them. My cabin is definitely quiter, but it's only relative. Remember, your still driving something equivalent to a toaster, so wind noise will remain. As will more squeaks and other odd noises you've never heard in the cabin before, which were canceled by that road noise. I actually attribute these noises to the effectiveness of the sound deadening as it reflects the interior noises quite a bit better. But at least I can now hear the stereo or the person next to me talk.

Slade, I haven't looked into what the brown bread is made of. The main reason I went with the dynamat was the adhesive and aluminum, that would not soak up water or anything else I spilled/swamped in. So you may want to consider that. Make sure the stuff isn't a sponge.

Good luck and let us know how it comes together.
Old February 20th, 2004, 12:25 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Sound deadening under the seats is very effective and cuts down on the heat transfer too.
Old February 20th, 2004, 01:43 PM
Tawayama
Michael Slade
No Land Rovers

Yeah, the bummer part is I was doing all this sound deadening with some CRAP I got at the local hot-rod store. It was cheaper (a LOT cheaper) than the Dynamat or Brown Bread, and it was a total waste of time and $$$.

I recently saw it at Home Depot advertised to wrap hot water heaters in. That really added insult to injury.

The part that makes me the maddest is I really spent a LOT of time and the install is super clean and tidy. Too bad the stuff I used is trash.

The Brown Bread is similar to the Dynamat, adhesive and foil covered asphaltum based material.

I'll report back. It's gonna kill me to rip out all that pretty stuff I already put in.

I was thinking 2 layers for sure in several areas. I'm also glad to hear it worked on the doors, because that was also in my plan.
Old February 20th, 2004, 01:54 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Have you guys ever thought to try Body Schutz from 3M? I painted my body underneith and the whole interior including the roof. No headliner. It is a rubberlike compound used by car manufacturers. Cost all said about $200 with the special spray nosle. It really cut down on noise, but it is kinda hard to tell because I also put down padding and water proof carpet, so that probably made a big difference too.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old February 20th, 2004, 02:17 PM
Tawayama
Michael Slade
No Land Rovers

I think the padding and the waterproof carpet did more than the spray on stuff.

I've also done a 1/4 inch neoprene pad on the entire floorboards of the CC, and also plan to have carpets made to fit the tunnel and the floorboards. I'll put the Brown Bread under all of that.

Maybe that'll help.
Old February 20th, 2004, 02:18 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Hey Mike, is that avatar you, your better looking than I expected

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old February 20th, 2004, 02:37 PM
Tawayama
Michael Slade
No Land Rovers

You'd change your mind if you could see under my fingernails.

Bleeeaacch!

PS...I'll never tell!
Old February 21st, 2004, 07:11 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
I recently put in Wilsonart flooring in my dining room. The insulation that goes under the flooring seems to have very good sound absorbing properties. Unfortunetly I threw all the scraps out after the job. I am going to go to the shop I used and ask for any scraps they have. I will let you know how it works out. Obviously you would not want to use it in areas of extreme heat but this could be a cheap alternitive.

Kevin
Old February 24th, 2004, 09:50 AM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
SOUNDPROOFING

I was wondering how the dynamat and other products are attaches. Are they self stick and are they water/mold proof?
Thanks
Rich

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions