Sound Deadening Success... - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 24th, 2004, 11:27 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Quote:
I was wondering how the dynamat and other products are attaches. Are they self stick and are they water/mold proof?
Rich, most of the products have their own self adhesive already applied. But the stuff is usually sticky as hell and can be a one shot deal.

As far as mold, well I would be more concerned about water getting between the dynamat and the metal it's applied to rather than mold. If you choose the right product, they are not made from materials that will retain water. However, this isn't to say water can't get trapped between the product and your truck. For that, I herculined everything on the floor pan and tub before I applied the dynamat. Then at least I have a layer of something else for any moisture to sit on.

You can learn more about the various products and materials on the dynomat website.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 24th, 2004, 05:39 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
I drilled a few small holes in the floor pan and then I am going to use a hurculiner type product. At least when water gets in ther it has a way out.
Old February 24th, 2004, 11:13 PM
WCURoverD90
Jason Habbal
1997 Defender 90 #1104

Dynamat works wonders on rattles and sound proofing....

Land Rover-The Best 4x4xFar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 25th, 2004, 12:19 AM
mhansen
Mike Hansen
97 D-90 SW #2243

Dynamat is butyl rubber with foil on the side that you don't want to stick The only way that water will get under Dynamat is if it was there before you stick it. We use butyl rubber pads in the Construction world to stick the pavement markers on the highway for traffic control. It sticks like crazy. It would be very hard to remove it from your truck.
Old March 11th, 2012, 08:46 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Does the Dynamat absorb mositure? I think for a true cheap fuck you could get the sound deadening material from a Range Rover Classic.
Old March 11th, 2012, 09:05 AM
usadventureracing
Brett

What about grace water shield? I have heard a lot of guys are adding it to hot rods. Home depot sells 225 square feet for around 150.
Old March 11th, 2012, 11:05 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4
Does the Dynamat absorb mositure? I think for a true cheap fuck you could get the sound deadening material from a Range Rover Classic.
Not really sure. The Dynamat is like a tar substance, which I do not believe absorbs it, but it does break down over time.
Old March 12th, 2012, 01:22 AM
Spook
Rich
97 Defender 90

Registry
I have some stuff from home depot i plan on using found some you tube videos and some folks doing tests with it. I was thinking of lining the doors and seats with this and then spraying the entire tub with lizard skin. I found this site helpful www.sounddeadenershowdown.com
I do agree that our trucks are echo chambers. I just want to take the edge off so I don't feel liking I am yelling.
Old March 12th, 2012, 06:02 AM
winn442
Winn Bearden

Registry
Lowe's and home Depot sell a product in the roofing and flashing section, same exact stuff as Dynamat, only it comes in 14" wide rolls. maybe a mill or so thinner, but it's about 75% cheaper, so you can double up on it and still come out way cheaper....I did my whole interior, including the roof, I can actually carry on a conversation at highway speeds now.
Old March 12th, 2012, 08:26 AM
CDNRover
Jeff Labbé
110 Ex-Mod FFR 200tdi

Registry
Here's a trick I did with my 110; I bought from a local outdoor shop camping foam mattress. I then use contact glue to stick it to my van roof. Cheap effective and the foam are closed cell so no water problem. I tested it before and after with a dB meter (Iphone application) and at the same speed, on the same road, I cut down about 10-12 dB. I also did the doors and now I'm up for the bulkhead. I might put some of these mattress on the top of the bulkhead and Dynamat the floors. Heating the cab is easier now and as the mattress has a foil final coat, it reflects the heat and keeps it inside. I might have pop 200$ including mattress and glue.. But how different it feels now! Hope this help!
Old March 12th, 2012, 09:29 AM
imola
John
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4 View Post
The stuff they used on the Range Rover Classic for sound deadening absorb water like a sponge.
Old March 12th, 2012, 11:18 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by imola View Post
The stuff they used on the Range Rover Classic for sound deadening absorb water like a sponge.
Cuz that's what it is, a sponge!

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old November 10th, 2012, 09:44 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
bump, I did some dynmat in my Defender (seatbox DS door) I cant tell much of a difference, I might add a little more. I think the key is the seat boxes and the roof.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions