Sound Deadening Materials - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 17th, 2010, 09:42 PM
punter
Scott
1966 Series IIA

Question Sound Deadening Materials

I'm getting a little ahead of myself on this, as I won't be working on the interior of my build any time soon. Regardless, I'm starting to flesh out my plan for the interior and I'd like to get some of your thoughts on sound deadening/heat reducing treatments.

Mainly I've been looking at DynaMat and Lizard Skin. Both are completely different in terms of construction/application, but they claim to do the same thing (reduce road noise, improve acoustics, reduce heat transfer from engine and outside to passenger compartment). Lizard Skin seems a lot less expensive and easier to use, but does it work as well?

Anyone have experience with either (or preferably both)?

Thanks,
Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 18th, 2010, 05:04 AM
Rocketman
Scott Y
95 D90 SW, 2003 Disco II, 93 D110

Scott,

Went through same thought process when working on my 110. Some young local tuners suggested using RAAM Audio products (http://www.raamaudio.com/). Working with the owner Rick, who had some suggestions, I am applying two layers -- BXTII and then covered with their foam. The two products attack different frequency ranges. So far, it has been very easy to cut and apply. The interiors of all five doors are done.
Old November 18th, 2010, 08:34 AM
FlaD90
Tom
1994 ST D90
D-90 Source Vendor

I have seen some racers use, Home Depo roofing material (looks like Dynamat) but thinner, self stick, just use 2 layers. works very well and a sheet is 76.00 4x8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 19th, 2010, 11:46 AM
e2orlando.com
Eddie
DII Diesel

i used lizard skin easy to apply. Only time will tell if it works as good as they claim.........

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 20th, 2010, 01:22 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

It's called Peel & Seal. I have quite a bit left over if anyone is interested. It's identical to dynamat only stickier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaD90
I have seen some racers use, Home Depo roofing material (looks like Dynamat) but thinner, self stick, just use 2 layers. works very well and a sheet is 76.00 4x8
Old November 20th, 2010, 09:00 AM
James Pierce
James Pierce Jr.
1995 D90 SW #314, 59 SII 88 HT

I'm sure you guys have seen this before http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi . I'm not sure where I stumbled on to it, might have even been on here in an older post. I tend to be of the same mind set as this guy in thinking Dynamat is more of a vibration dampener and not sound barrier. I think it is being used incorrectly and there are other products that do a better job of keeping noise out. Dynamat pumps a lot of money into advertising and marketing when for the most part its all butyl rubber with a foil backing.

You mention wanting a heat barrier. Dynamat on the inside of a truck is not a heat barrier. The foil side would have to be facing a heat source in order for it to deflect radiant heat. My 94 ST was coated from front to rear and the seat box would still get so hot you couldn't stand to touch it. My 95 SW was just as hot when I got it in stock form and have recently put hood liner under the seat box in only in the area of the tunnel and then put a Wright Acoustical Mat on the inside. The heat is almost non existent. You can touch the mat on top of the seat box and it feels only slightly warm to the touch.

I actually removed the Dynamat from my 94. What a pain that was! After a few hot summers it gets nasty looking and is hard to keep clean. I sprayed the seat box and front floor boards w/ linex. Looks nicer and was easier to keep clean and maintain. I don't know if anyone has done the research but I would venture to say that linex has as much vibration dampening ability as the Dynamat.

I believe it has a place but its not in the bed of my tuck. Probably small pieces in my doors though. My .02 and some change...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0828.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	33324   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0830.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	33325  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0921.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	33326  
Old November 20th, 2010, 09:21 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
So is that foam backed? Do you think that will hold up? And I'd be concerned about it trapping dirt and moisture, encouraging rust.

I know that area can get soaked in oil, but foam would not be my first choice for that area.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old November 20th, 2010, 10:22 AM
James Pierce
James Pierce Jr.
1995 D90 SW #314, 59 SII 88 HT

It is foam back, a closed cell foam would probably be better in this application but wasn't able to find any. This is dynamat's hood liner. They recommended it for under the hood and transmission tunnels. I was a little disappointed when it arrived.

I am not that worried about rust. The battery and tool box were removed blasted, acid washed and galvanized. Then coated with 3 coats of epoxy primer, and base coat. It was then reassembled and more base and clear applied.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions