Sorting out Handling - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 16th, 2009, 09:53 AM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Sorting out Handling

I have an on going handling problem I can't seem to get fixed. I know it's truck so I'm not looking for "on rails" cornering but I would like it to go straight.

Replaced:
Pan hard bushings
radius arm bushings
tie rod ends
drag link
I've had two alignments done by the shop. CHecked it myself with a measuring tape and it's neutral toe.

WHen I drive the wheel is straight, but it's very loose and wanders. Last night I was in a 30 mph zone on a dead straight road. I decided to turn the lockers on just to use em. Interestingly, I had to turn almost a full quarter revolution to the left on the steering wheel to keep the truck straight.

What would cause the truck to pull to the right when the diffs are locked?

Tire pressures were all 32 PSI.

THanks

Follow-up Post:

I also recently changed the bushings on the trailing arms. What is the proper torque for the nut by the frame mount? If I over torqued one side my whole handling would be shot right?
Advertisement

Old November 16th, 2009, 10:04 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
are you running a lift? have you tried rotating your tires? road crowning will make a vehicle pull even if it is set up correctly. trailing arm torque shouldn't matter since the nuts will be tight up against the steel center tube of the bushing at that point. rear axle bushing issues usually show up as throttle steer on deceleration. Ask me how I know...

you didn't mention the steering damper or bushings or the drop arm ball joint. Any play in the steering box?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflash868
I have an on going handling problem I can't seem to get fixed. I know it's truck so I'm not looking for "on rails" cornering but I would like it to go straight.

Replaced:
Pan hard bushings
radius arm bushings
tie rod ends
drag link
I've had two alignments done by the shop. CHecked it myself with a measuring tape and it's neutral toe.

WHen I drive the wheel is straight, but it's very loose and wanders. Last night I was in a 30 mph zone on a dead straight road. I decided to turn the lockers on just to use em. Interestingly, I had to turn almost a full quarter revolution to the left on the steering wheel to keep the truck straight.

What would cause the truck to pull to the right when the diffs are locked?

Tire pressures were all 32 PSI.

THanks

Follow-up Post:

I also recently changed the bushings on the trailing arms. What is the proper torque for the nut by the frame mount? If I over torqued one side my whole handling would be shot right?
Old November 16th, 2009, 10:49 AM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

I checked the box and there is no play in the linkages. Someone told me I should tighten down the allen nut on top of the box but that's it.

The truck has a 2 inch lift. Dampener should be fine although magically about a year ago it no longer let's me turn as far to the left. Don't know what that's about..

Swivel Preload? I have no idea what this is or how do set it. I see it suggested in almost every thread related to handling.
Advertisement

Old November 16th, 2009, 11:11 AM
wcampbel@nas.edu
Bill Campbell
1994 D-90 ST

Quote:
I checked the box and there is no play in the linkages. Someone told me I should tighten down the allen nut on top of the box but that's it.

The truck has a 2 inch lift. Dampener should be fine although magically about a year ago it no longer let's me turn as far to the left. Don't know what that's about..

Swivel Preload? I have no idea what this is or how do set it. I see it suggested in almost every thread related to handling.
The looseness could be the drop arm ball joint. That thing wears down in there and just rattles around and can give you like an inch or two of play in the wheel. I am pretty sure this wouldn't create the pulling effect you are experiencing though.

B
Old November 16th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete

Registry
if you can't turn full lock in both directions there is something wrong. how do you know the damper is causing this? do you have 4wd still? I've seen shattered cv's and people drive for years with them. and the pieces of the cv prevent the turny bits from doing so.

if you undo one end of the damper can you then go lock to lock?

Quote:

Old November 16th, 2009, 01:10 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
how many miles on your truck? Drop arm makes a huge difference, also wheel bearings and swivels.
Old November 16th, 2009, 02:24 PM
WhiteD90
Johnathan Tisdale
93 110, 90 RockRR buggy

Take the dampner off and try, some like Bilstein are charged and will push the linkage making you fight it in one direction. Rotate the tires and see if that helps. Lockers give direct drive and will initially give sharp input in one direction as you accelerate and then pull in the opposite direction when you decelerate on pavement. That does not remain consistent while driving as you seem to experience. Sounds like you don't have too much toe in; too much castor would give you sketchy handling as well. Point being did it act like this prior to the lift?
Old November 17th, 2009, 09:03 AM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

No it didn't act like this after the lift. It started after 2 weeks in Moab of flexing the suspension all over the place. I don't know how to really describe it, everything just feels loose. It sways, wobbles, pulls in different directions. The alignment is dead on. Toe is completely neutral. If anything I would think it needs more toe in to give it some stability.

Truck has 65K miles on it. I'm relatively sure the drop arm ball joint has been replaced. I've never rotated the tires thought. I will give that a try.

As for the steering lock to lock. I put the front axle up on jacks and turned the wheel side to side. It will not get to the bump stop when turning left. I can see the steering dampener maxing out.
Old November 17th, 2009, 09:18 AM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

What tires?
Old November 17th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete

Registry
this sounds a little different from your first description. I would check the rear axle fixings, a arm ball joint, etc. have someone rock the truck backwards and forwards while you lay underneath and watch all the different joints for excess play.

I might also suggest blown shocks. what shocks are you running? things get pretty squirrely when the shock absorbers stop absorbing.

in order to diagnose your steering iussue you are going to have to start disconnecting things to see what frees it up.

Hope that makes sense.

Quote:
No it didn't act like this after the lift. It started after 2 weeks in Moab of flexing the suspension all over the place.
Old November 17th, 2009, 09:42 AM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

Could be bent rod on the steering stabilizer thats hanging up, like Dave says, disconnect it and test.
Old November 17th, 2009, 10:11 AM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Just pull the steering stabilizer completely

Quote:
It sways, wobbles, pulls in different directions.
In my experience rear link to chassis bushings are the most common cause of this. They are easy to replace, and cheap which means to me they arent built to last forever. Plus, think of the amount of deflection that rubber is subjected to when the rear axle articulates. A week in Moab could definitely ruin a set of 14 year old rear link bushings.
Old November 17th, 2009, 01:15 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Ur right. Before that week in Moab I swapped in a set of those shitty Poly Bushings and they were ripped, torn and disintegrated after 2 days of wheeling. Had to overnight some OE bushings that finished the rest of the trip.

Tires are a good year MTRs. 33x12.5. Shocks are Bilstein 7100s. I will try disconnecting the stabilizer and see what's what with the steering.

Another thought I had, could the axle mount for the A arm be the culprit? Those long travel shocks would certainly have tweaked that ball joint after Moab.

I'm going to replace all the bushings on the rear links. Does the frame mount go in front of the hanger or aft?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions