son of a _itch! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 6th, 2006, 06:53 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

son of a _itch!

Jeez, you'd think something as simple as filling the rear diff in a 110 shouldn't cause any problems. But nooo...

Here I am topping it off and screwing back the plug when I'm not feeling any resistance and it falls in!

When I first took this truck in to my mechanic (who shall remain nameless) I recall his replacing the regular plug with a D90 type, using a 1/2" driver to undo.

Apparently the threads didn't match and it could never be tightened. Of course, I did not know this so...

Had to take off the rear cover. There goes my Saturday morning!

So, I assume Right Stuff will do here or is a stock gasket preferred for the Salisbury?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 6th, 2006, 07:22 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Right stuff will do fine. I think the plugs should be the same size pipe thread for both. The D110 diff covers have about 1/8" thickness of material to thread and become oversized quite easily. I would look at upgrading to one of the SlickRock Fabrication covers as a permanent fix for your oversize fill hole.
Old May 7th, 2006, 10:12 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

As this is not am off-roader I can't invest so much for a HD cover. So, now that this one's off, I can start rust removal, priming and painting or just replace it.

Are all Dana 60's here compatible with the Salisbury cover? Fill level the same?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 7th, 2006, 06:12 PM
roverboy
Thomas
Booger

I just went through the exact same thing. As it turns out, the threaded part of the plug hole INSIDE the diff cover was broken. So when I went to screw in the plug, it had nothing to grab on and it fell inside the diff. I have a Salisbury rear end, so after a few posts on here and some shopping around, my local rover 4x4 shop (lokeycrosslander) sourced me a new Dana 60 cover for $29. I installed it a couple of weeks ago and it works fine. It is a true Dana cover and the Dana name brand is stamped right on it. It is unbelievable how much heavier and better quality it is than the stock land rover cover that it replaced. The stock cover is a light, flemsy piece of shit. seriously, when you compare the two covers, you wouldn't even believe the difference.
Old May 7th, 2006, 07:39 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

I couldn't wait to get a Dana 60 so I reused mine. Yes, they can be had for $10 or so.

My threads were intact and looked fine. Had another plug from an old RRC and that screws down with some tightness. Funny thing is that 110 "bad" plug also threads with tightness on the RRC diff the "new" plug came out of.

Just waiting for the gasket to set so I can fill 'er up.
Old May 8th, 2006, 09:52 AM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

Art right stuff

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions