Some weird noise - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old February 28th, 2005, 11:50 AM
Exclamation Some weird noise

What about a clunking noise, from the engine compartment on a 97' D-90. Sounds like something slapping the side of the oil pan,(when i think of what it sounds like i think of an oil stirrir on a briggs and straton motor if anyone knows what i mean) has been doing it for a while but seems to be getting worse, doesn't do it at high rpm's. runs great, only 49,000 on whole vehicle and less than 12,000 on new motor that was installed about 3 years ago, I am the second owner, my dad being the first and i am not sure if the last motor did this? any suggestions are these noises common? If anyone has any ideas i would appreciate it, you can email me at Thanks
P.S. I am not very fimiliar with this site,If someone post a reply on the website to my question how will i know?

Old February 28th, 2005, 12:49 PM
Hans Haase
The Lab Rat

Anything from the oil pan makes me concerned. Even if it's nothing major in the engine, it may have an effect on your oil supply. I'd take the oil pan off and check the condition of the oil pickup tube, look for anything loose flopping around, and also check the connecting rods.

Also. New posts get automatically moved to the top. Once that have been replied to since you last checked will have the little envelope turn a different color.

My oil line fix

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old February 28th, 2005, 03:58 PM
Mike Hippert
94 D-90 Grinding Rover
If it's coming from the pan drop the pan and check it out, just like Hans said.

If you look at the top of this thread there is a drop down called thread tools, click it then click subscribe to thread and you will get an e-mail notifying you that someone has replied to the thread. It will send the e-mail to the address in you profile.
Don't forget to Search first then ask questions later! The loose nut behind the wheel

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions