some random questions - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 19th, 2012, 11:43 PM
petminded
David
1995 Defender 90- Yellow- Soft Top

some random questions

As my D90 is new to me I have some random questions. If anyone has any answers I am greatful for the feedback.

1- My personal feeling is my breaks are week. I have the stock setup and my truck sat for 3 years unused before I came upon it. I figured 4 pistons up front and drums in the rear would have more stopping power.

2- As the tech does not indicate redline what is the redline RPM on the 3.9 V8?

3- I can't seem to find a jack or a location to store the jack. Where would this be?

4- How do I know what transmition and transfer case I have (other them crawling underneath and reading some # off the case)?

5- Is there a trick/fix I can do to get the slide windows to stop clanking?

6- My heater fan only runs on high, I assume its a relay or fuse but I can't find either. Any hints?

7- Is there a why to adjust the camber on the D90?

8- I read soemwhere that an NAS D90 only says Defender on the rear plate. Mine says Defender 90. I guess that was bad info?

9- any one know what this is (see picture)?

I think that is most of it. Thanks for your help in advance!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120619_204300.png
Views:	168
Size:	348.9 KB
ID:	53226
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 19th, 2012, 11:55 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

See below:

1- My personal feeling is my breaks are week. I have the stock setup and my truck sat for 3 years unused before I came upon it. I figured 4 pistons up front and drums in the rear would have more stopping power.

You have discs at all four corners. Being the truck sat I would check all the pads and rotors and fluid. A good flush isn't a bad idea.

2- As the tech does not indicate redline what is the redline RPM on the 3.9 V8? Why? Planning a drag race?

3- I can't seem to find a jack or a location to store the jack. Where would this be? Under passenger seat.

4- How do I know what transmition and transfer case I have (other them crawling underneath and reading some # off the case)? R380 transmission and LT230 transfer box

5- Is there a trick/fix I can do to get the slide windows to stop clanking? Search window replacement felt.

6- My heater fan only runs on high, I assume its a relay or fuse but I can't find either. Any hints? Could be the switch. I had the contacts go on it.

7- Is there a why to adjust the camber on the D90? Not that I know of. Why?

8- I read soemwhere that an NAS D90 only says Defender on the rear plate. Mine says Defender 90. I guess that was bad info? Yup

9- any one know what this is (see picture)? Wheel chock when jacking up the truck.

I think that is most of it. Thanks for your help in advance!

Attachment 53226[/QUOTE]

Enjoy the truck
Old June 20th, 2012, 12:02 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Nice work Barry.

For the heater fan, very stupid question. Is this controlled soley by the lever-type switch on the dash binnacle? Mine doesn't seem to work at all. What did you do to fix the contacts?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 20th, 2012, 12:32 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Nice work Barry.

For the heater fan, very stupid question. Is this controlled soley by the lever-type switch on the dash binnacle? Mine doesn't seem to work at all. What did you do to fix the contacts?
When I got my truck the switch only went half way up before it would get stuck. In this position it was fully off. If I slid it down to the first click that was low, next click was high. I was convinced it didn't work correctly so I replaced the switch. The new switch goes to the top but as far as I can tell there is no reason to. Once it shuts off half way up there is no reason to slide it to the top. I always thought there were even lower settings but I have never been in a truck where there were.
Old June 20th, 2012, 12:38 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Where'd you source the new switch?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old June 20th, 2012, 01:02 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Rovers north
Old June 20th, 2012, 01:50 AM
michael67
Michael White
110 Tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by petminded View Post
6- My heater fan only runs on high, I assume its a relay or fuse but I can't find either. Any hints?
The low setting on mine is so bad I can only hear it if the engine is off, and can only tell a difference if the truck is not moving. And this is with a new switch and a new fan. Try turning it on low with the engine off and the key in the "on" position and see if you can hear it moving.
Old June 20th, 2012, 08:45 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Jack goes under driver seat
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old June 20th, 2012, 08:53 AM
defeyago
Santiago
96 Defender 110 VGTdi SW County

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
When I got my truck the switch only went half way up before it would get stuck. In this position it was fully off. If I slid it down to the first click that was low, next click was high. I was convinced it didn't work correctly so I replaced the switch. The new switch goes to the top but as far as I can tell there is no reason to. Once it shuts off half way up there is no reason to slide it to the top. I always thought there were even lower settings but I have never been in a truck where there were.
All the way up closes outside air from coming into the cabin. Half way position then outside air comes inside but no fan (when cruising for example) and then you have 1st and 2nd speed.

Cheers,
04 Freelander Td4 5 dr.
97 Alfa Romeo 146 TD (Sold)
95 Volvo 850 GLT Estate
94 Discovery Tdi (Webasto equipped)
Old June 20th, 2012, 08:58 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael67

The low setting on mine is so bad I can only hear it if the engine is off, and can only tell a difference if the truck is not moving. And this is with a new switch and a new fan. Try turning it on low with the engine off and the key in the "on" position and see if you can hear it moving.
They are all shit ... Lowest speed is like an asthmatic kitten blowing out birthday candles, if it even moves at all ... Nothing to do with the switch ... Everything to do with poor design. I'm surprised no-one makes an upgrade
Old June 20th, 2012, 09:15 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
There was. Guy on here selling really nice kits the replced the felt in the sw/st window frames. I can't remember the name of the company.

------ Follow up post added June 20th, 2012 09:19 AM ------

http://www.garrisonoutfitters.com/
Old June 20th, 2012, 11:39 AM
Captain Spalding
Captain Spalding

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
. . . Lowest speed is like an asthmatic kitten blowing out birthday candles, if it even moves at all . . .
Pure poetry. Love it.
Old June 20th, 2012, 10:51 PM
gliebig
Greg Liebig
95 D90

Question #2. I've always been curious about that too.
Old June 21st, 2012, 07:23 PM
petminded
David
1995 Defender 90- Yellow- Soft Top

Thanks all!

Here are some of the answers to your questions to me:

I guess I don't have a jack. I've looked under both the drivers and passangers seats.

Drag racing is fine by me but I really just want to know so I don't blow the engine when merging onto the highway.

I guess is should be happy that my fan blows anything - dust included- since it sat so long. The lever goes past 3 clicks and the last is the high speed. Now I know I have an asamatic kitten trapped in my dash. But does anyone know where I deposit the food for the poor thing?

Being stock I was hoping the next set of tires would not wear so poorly. But now you have saved me the cost of an alinement.

Sorry if I missed any questions. Thanks for all your help.
Old June 21st, 2012, 07:54 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Do you really need red hash marks to know when its time to upshift?
Old June 21st, 2012, 10:01 PM
gliebig
Greg Liebig
95 D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4 View Post
Do you really need red hash marks to know when its time to upshift?
Yes. And a shift light.
Old June 21st, 2012, 10:34 PM
DMSLongLake
Dave Sherwood
1994 D90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Honestly, id be nervous above 5 grand. These aren't the most durable engines.

-Jeff

Why? Step on the pedal till it hits the rev limiter I say...

Current Rovers:
1994 D-90 ST #734
2006 LR3
2016 RRS

Past Rovers:
1997 Disco I
1988 Range Rover 40th Anniversary
1999 Disco II
1995 D-90 ST #2731
1997 Range Rover 4.6 HSE Vitesse
2003 Range Rover HSE
2008 RRS
2013 RRS
Old June 23rd, 2012, 06:57 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Feeding the kitten requires cutting a larger hole In the bulkhead ... And that's debatable as to it's effectiveness ...

Just call the useless heater a feature and move on to the next issue ..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions