Some of the Romance seems to be gone... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 4th, 2008, 12:39 PM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Some of the Romance seems to be gone...

Wow, life sometimes changes your plans for you drastically. And so it was three years ago when I took my Defender off the road for the winter with every intention of putting it back on in the Spring. But life got hectic, and it didn't happen, and then my wife got pregnant with our first, and I swore the summer after she was born the 90 was going back on the road, but...

So three years later I am graced with a visit from Pendy (to pick up his latest project), and he is generous enough to help bring my 90 out of hibernation. I was very grateful to have his expertise on hand for the occasion. That was late summer, and I drove it around the neighborhood a few times. Now she is finally tagged, insured and back on the road again!

On our maiden I notice how the back end sounds like it is going to fall off every time we go over a bump, and she feels kind of like driving a wet sponge. I'm assuming that the tire carrier is the culprit for most of the horrible rattling from the back, but I'm not sure about why there is so much play in the steering that is seems like I can't drive the truck without looking like I'm drunk (anyone ever heard the phrase 'Pilot Induced Oscillations'?)

Any thoughts on helping me restore the romance would be welcomed. thanks..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 4th, 2008, 01:30 PM
imola
John
97 D90 SW

check the shocks and steering damper. I had similar issue with my RR classic and it turned out all the shocks are shot. Changed them made a world of difference.
Old March 4th, 2008, 03:24 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

I replaced some parts on the steering linkage and had my bearings tightened. The wobbly driving effect was eliminated. Before, I had a lot of play in the wheel and wandering when hitting bumps.
Advertisement

Old March 4th, 2008, 06:23 PM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
For the steering issues, the panhard rod bushings are a common culprit for wandering steering.. get under there and see if you can move anything around by hand.. Balljoints, bushings, etc. Also could be swivel preload not correct, and there is some adjust ment to be made in the steering box, that might be out, not sure about that one.

as for the back end bumping around, go round back and see if you can lift the spare at all (checking for excess play in the factory spare carrier) if there is, then you can shim it out, or maybe just tighten and grease the pivots to bring it back to line.

have fun, its a great truck! (you know it)
Old March 6th, 2008, 06:41 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Just pull the spare tire and the noise should go away (or change pitch at least) if it's the tire carrier.

Is there play in the steering while sitting still? If yes, then it's likely you need to adjust the steering box. If not, I'd get under there and put a wrench on every bolt and see if anything needs tightening.
Old March 7th, 2008, 09:16 AM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by revtor
For the steering issues, the panhard rod bushings are a common culprit for wandering steering.. get under there and see if you can move anything around by hand.. Balljoints, bushings, etc. Also could be swivel preload not correct, and there is some adjust ment to be made in the steering box, that might be out, not sure about that one.

as for the back end bumping around, go round back and see if you can lift the spare at all (checking for excess play in the factory spare carrier) if there is, then you can shim it out, or maybe just tighten and grease the pivots to bring it back to line.
I probably need to come to the reality that this thing is 13 years old, and all the rubber bits could probably stand to be replaced. Any suggestions for confirming bushing's need for replacement, other than obvious visual signs?

There is some play in the tire carrier, I notice whenI close the door that lifting slightly as it closes makes it go much more smoothly. I was thinking about trying one of those hinge kits AB sells with the springs and new bolts, worthwhile?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin
Just pull the spare tire and the noise should go away (or change pitch at least) if it's the tire carrier.

Is there play in the steering while sitting still? If yes, then it's likely you need to adjust the steering box. If not, I'd get under there and put a wrench on every bolt and see if anything needs tightening.
Seems to me like there is more movement in the steering wheel before the actual tire moves than I would expect, but then again how much play is normal? IS there a procedure around for adjusting the steering box, or do I just need to keep the 22nd clear?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 7th, 2008, 09:58 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Well, I think keeping the 22nd clear is a must, but the adjustment itself isn't complicated. On top of the steering box there is an adjustment nut. Use a screwdriver to stop the inner bolt turning while you crack the nut. Then once the nut is loose, tighten the inner bolt (keeping track of how many turns you made) and turn the steering column shaft by hand to feel for play. You should back off right when you feel it's tightened up.

hth
charles
Old March 7th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

If you look at the rear door hinge, there is an adjustment nut with a spring tension. When I tightened mine (which seemed to have loosened over time), the rattle and squeak noises while driving and the loose play went away.
Old March 7th, 2008, 02:57 PM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
I replaced the rear hinge bolts and pivot balls on my rear door which were very worn. It helped with the door play a bit but not as much as I had hoped. Loosening the hinges and realigning the door and latch is what allowed my door to go from having to lift it to get it to close at all, to it closing with a light touch. My spare carrier is history though..
Old March 7th, 2008, 03:11 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by revtor
I replaced the rear hinge bolts and pivot balls on my rear door which were very worn. It helped with the door play a bit but not as much as I had hoped. Loosening the hinges and realigning the door and latch is what allowed my door to go from having to lift it to get it to close at all, to it closing with a light touch. My spare carrier is history though..

Since you've done this on the rear, have you tried the main two doors? Both of mine are off alignment.
Old March 7th, 2008, 03:58 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Yup works there too. Once you get them fitting well, you can then adjust the strike plate so it latches properly. It really helps to have a second pair of hands though.
Old March 7th, 2008, 06:13 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Have you not eytn a jeep lately? That might be your problem

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions