Solo engine install - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 26th, 2016, 12:59 AM
east high
Gerad Davis
1967/s2a 88 200Tdi

Solo engine install

I'm trying to install a 200tdi into my old '67 rover myself. I got everything on the back of the engine right - modified flywheel housing, 9" clutch aligned with an old input shaft and bellhousing.

I can get the engine about a half inch from mating up completely with the bellhousing studs, but I just can't drive it in any further. I suspect the input splines aren't shifting enough to align with the grooves of the clutch plate. After a few hours of reflection, I think my next step will be undoing the driveshaft, putting it in gear and giving things a twist to see if that helps. What do you guys do to help with this last little inch or two?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 26th, 2016, 01:24 AM
roverman2010
John
1985 LR 90 200Tdi

Registry
By any chance did you change out the spigot bush using the grease method? Would the grease still be in the crank hole?
If you are within haft an inch the inputshaft splines should be into the clutch plate.

Is the input shaft you used for aligning the clutch plate same diameter as the gearbox input shaft you are fitting. Spigot bush correct size?

Hope it clicks into place without to much trouble
, good luck

Still looking for that place where I can carry a paddle and get asked what's that.

JnK Services
FC101 GS FFR
57 LR 88" SXF 858
85 LR90
95 D1 Tdi
05 D3 HSE
97 XK8 BRG FHC For Sale
Old June 26th, 2016, 06:02 AM
steinhnj
Neil Steinhagen
1990 Perentie GS

I struggled with this as well and found that by turning the crank shaft with a large breaker bar and socket was just enough to get things to align. I got to the point that the majority of the studs were aligned and even part way through the holes of the bell housing but no matter how hard I pushed, twisted and verbally agitated the engine it wouldn't engage. Double checked the clutch alignment, dabbed grease on the input shaft, but it just wouldn't mate. Tried for over an hour an finally gave up. Slept on it, and in the middle of the night thought about turning the crank shaft from the front of the engine. Next morning lined things up again, turned the crank about 1/2 turn, while pushing on the engine (clockwise only) and it clicked right into place.

I had the entire drive train mated before I installed everything, so I knew that everything mated up. I replaced my spigot bearing as well. But a crappy gasket between the bell housing cover and engine forced me to pull just then engine and replace the gasket.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 26th, 2016, 08:55 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

The above suggestions say most everything, but I have a few questions.
Did you stay with the series transmission?
If so did you use a series driven plate (clutch disc) or one from a defender style vehicle?

I NEVER use studs they make installing the engine 10 times harder.
I take the studs out and use bolts instead.
In that way you can use varying length bolts to both align and tighten the engine up.
Putting a long bolt in each "corner lets you have the engine and belhousing completely level.
Thin with shother bolts you can pull the engine into the belhousing and have it all lined up.
With the studs if you have the engine slightly tilted, forget it...

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old June 26th, 2016, 10:16 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
If 1/2", it is the pilot bearing not going in, not the clutch splines. Tilt the engine and swing side to side, while pushing. It should go in.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old June 26th, 2016, 12:17 PM
east high
Gerad Davis
1967/s2a 88 200Tdi

Boom! I got it in before 9am this morning. Sometimes you just need to step away for a while. Thanks for the sounding board, fellas.

Turns out the clutch plate fell out of alignment sometime between then and now. I got that aligned and the motor slipped much closer to position. Then I used a ratchet strap to cinch it close enough to get a nut on a few of the studs and that was it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
engine