Soft Top vs Fiberglass Top - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 14th, 2010, 10:49 PM
jjstahl3
Jay S
96 D1 TReK

Registry
Soft Top vs Fiberglass Top

I have a rovers north soft top right now but the chance to get a fiberglass top - I am thinking about going fiberglass and selling my soft top all together - for long trips the top is loud etc - what would be the negative from those with or used fiberglass tops?? are they hotter inside? I know I cant take out the windows but what would be the drawbacks - and what would a couple year old soft top be worth - any insight would be much appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 14th, 2010, 10:56 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

hard top sucks to take on and off. In LA it would be a shame to be stuck with it on all year.
It is also loud.
If you dont have AC it will suck
Old February 14th, 2010, 11:39 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
hard top sucks to take on and off. In LA it would be a shame to be stuck with it on all year.
It is also loud.
If you dont have AC it will suck
Says the man with the Badger

I currently have a RN top and a fiberglass top. In the winter I do run the fiberglass top, I also live in Denver. It is a pain to install since it is multiple pieces and a lot of hardware, once it is installed it does seal well. Although it doesn't flap like a soft top it does give a hollow sound. I am currently considering dynamat and a headliner to see if that helps. If anything I think dynamat would help with the hollow sound. I like it for security and I think it's warmer (could just be in my mind, I have no real proof of this). It's personal preference. Ride in a truck with one on and see how you feel about it. I can install it in a few hours (like 2-3) by myself. It's not heavy at all, the top piece is awkward to move around but I don't have a big wing span.

If you can get one in decent shape with all the parts then I say go for it. It's always nice if you ever sell your truck. I think you might regret selling the soft top.

I am installing AC in the next few weeks and I might just leave the fiberglass on for the summer. I have left it on for part of the summer in the past and wouldn't do that again without AC. It's hot- really hot and stuffy.

I'm not a big fan of my RN top in general, I think it is loose and loud. I know I should have done a Badger, live and learn. If I had it to do over I would probably skip the RN top and just get a Badger.

Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 15th, 2010, 12:27 PM
specops1526
Brian
Beluga '97 90

Hardtop if nice for a while but in LA you'll regret not having a soft top. Hardtop is a bitch to get on and off and you have to have ample storage for it. As for noise, it's a bit quieter than the soft top but it's still a defender so it will always be loud. When I had the hard top on, I drove to Vegas once. It was so loud, we could hardly hear ourselves think.

-->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Beluga 97 D-90
Chawton 04 DII SE
Tangiers 04 DII G4
Old February 15th, 2010, 12:43 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I think it depends on where you go to. If you are on the highway daily a hardtop might not be a bad thing. I was on the 405 a lot last week and the soft top sucks. Super loud.

Also as you know it is in the 70s today. Almost time to ditch the windows in the soft top. Hard top will suck!!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
fiber, fiberglass, fiberglass top, glass, soft top