Soft top repairs patching an option - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 10th, 2006, 01:03 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

Unhappy Soft top repairs patching an option

How to patch ?
Crap, crap, put the soft top on for the first time since April. First I had to fix the rail system as a few screws seem to have shaken away, then being Southern California, had a nice warm temp by 10am so on it goes. And, crap crap the rear right corner splits with two horizontal tears each about 2 inches long right above the seam and the plastic thing that slots into the rail system. Basically two splits, one above the other.

So, any ideas on how to fix? Can you patch with material? This is a Bestop and as for age, anyones guess but its a 1994 and could well be the original (especially with the gaps around the doors indicating major shrinkage) Anyone tried to patch a top and have recommendations? Special neelde, thread, maybe a marine grade something??? Crap crap crap....

I know I need a new top but lack the funds - even if the Badger 10ys anniversery is still ongoing - so this one has to last the rainy season through March 2007.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 10th, 2006, 01:59 PM
GliderKing
Robert Bingham
97 ST D90

Registry
took mine to an upholstry place, cost me $40 for two similar splits in the seems from trying to zip the rear window when it was a bit to cold outside. Since it's getting close to 10 yrs old, it's not the useage but the age of the material that makes them brittle. A patch is no big deal to an upholstry place, took then about 30 min.

Bob

1997 NAS 90 ST
1985 110 RHD 300tdi ROW
@gliderking instagram, twitter
Old October 10th, 2006, 02:02 PM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
You could get some heavy fabric like cordura or other heavy poly material and some marine grade shoe-goo to patch it up.. The goo is strong and flexible and the patch would give some relief to the seams. Do it carefully and with a similar color material and you might even make it look decent!

~Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 10th, 2006, 02:23 PM
badgerman
Christopher Laws
1964 Land Badger
D-90 Source Vendor

Paul,

You need to take those screws that are securing your beltrail and throw them away. Replace them with 3/16" aluminum rivits and space them every 4 1/2" on the long strips.

Oh, and thanks for the compliments on the "Rovers North tops" thread in Misc. Chit Chat.
Old October 10th, 2006, 03:08 PM
Craigd
Craig Dickson
1995 D90 Red Soft top

Registry
I had an upholstery shop fix a rip for about $30-$40 a few years ago and it is holding fast. I have also been trying to sew a repair myself on another tear with minimal success. I would recommend the upholstery shop.
Old October 10th, 2006, 07:53 PM
bjenk
Brian Jenkinson
1994 D90

I had to do some extensive repairs on my top. I bought the top used and had to rebuild to the corner. I purchased the plastic rail piece and had some 1000 denier cordura. I also had to put a patch on the ceiling where a tree branch came through. I used seam seal for the top on all stitches. It has not leaked yet. (I have the industrial sewing machines)
This thread shows the repairs to the corner.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ead.php?t=7722
Old October 11th, 2006, 07:02 AM
Marc Weinstein
Marc Weinstein
defender 90 '94

If, you find a shop that does boat tops, etc, they'll do rivits and tears. There used to heavy gauge stuff.
Old October 13th, 2006, 03:44 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

Thanks all, it has started to rain in So Ca so I got to gt this fixed. Its an excuse to work on the truck this weekend though my wife does not understand why I need to be under the hood, pulling out theradio to dash mount it, etc to the fix a tear in the top.
Wives? will they never understand its all connected...

Oh, and 3 top / marine shops all quoted 2hr minimums @ $80 - 95 hr plus materials.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
soft top