Soft Top Questions - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 23rd, 2007, 08:25 PM
floyd650
Alex Lapidus
1994 D90 ST #1716

Soft Top Questions

I just bought my D90 in Anchorage and drove/ferried it back to Portland, OR. The original Tickford top is in mediocre condition. Luckily the heater worked OK through the Yukon. Now I'm looking at my options for replacement. It sounds like everyone likes the Badger tops, but are they much quieter than the original top? Are they as quiet as the fiberglass top? Any info would be great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 23rd, 2007, 08:34 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

From what I have heard, the badger top is your best option. Significantly quieter then the Tickford or Best top.

The fiberglass tops are expensive, old and a pain to install. But, I still want one for some reason.

But, I am not the best one to ask, as I have not run more than a surrey top in almost 4 years.

Congrats on the Truck and Welcome to the board.

Post a few pics,

Scott

Old November 24th, 2007, 01:19 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
A soft top in good condition keeps water out better than a fiberglass top. I've had two fiberglass tops (still have one currently). The parts chafe, and the seams and the bolt holes need all kinds of silicone to stay sealed. My problem with the top is that it just isnt good at what it was designed for - to be taken on and off. It works much better if you put it on and leave it on, in which case you have a compromised station wagon. The Badger is really the only way to go.

That being said, the fiberglass tops suits some people fine. Scott, if you want my current one (which is intact but would look better painted) then you can have a smokin good deal on it when I get back from Russia. Smokin, as in under 1000.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 24th, 2007, 11:04 AM
floyd650
Alex Lapidus
1994 D90 ST #1716

Thanks for the info! I think that I will probably get a Badger, but if Scott doesn't take you up on your offer, I'd be interested in your fiberglass top as well.
Old November 24th, 2007, 11:13 AM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

You won't be disappointed. Now to decide which one!
Old November 24th, 2007, 12:26 PM
ttrover
Thomas Taylor
1997/ Defender 90

Alex, I have had a fiberglass and have now moved to the badger works II. The fiberglass makes a lot of noise, squeeking, plus the echoing from voices and music is deafing. The badger that I bought did not have the metal door brackets that the badger 1 has but it works excellent. The material is of the highest grade and Chris will work with any type of requests that you have. As for me I highly recommend badger works for the top. If you go with a badger you will also need a alpine bar, header bar, tailgate bar kit, and two horizontal bars that go above the doors. Nice thing is you can role up the sides in summer and make it a surrey top. Good luck.
Old November 28th, 2007, 02:23 AM
Happyxhour
Robert
94/Defender

Hey guys my softop needs to be replaced (looking at the Badget) but I hate taking off and on my current Bestop. Living in NorCal the weather waffles back and forth so much I just leave it off and throw on a hoodie.

Only problem is with the ladies...they freeze. I do have a bimini\bikini. My question is for you guys who run a bikini top strapless or otherwise just how weatherproof is the truck bed? I know these thing can be submerged and still run but what am I looking at maintenance and repair if the truck bed gets a few showers?

Until I save enough for Badger or knock over some liquor stores then..

Thanks Robert
Old November 28th, 2007, 10:33 AM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

[QUOTE=....just how weatherproof is the truck bed? ....what am I looking at maintenance and repair if the truck bed gets a few showers?[/QUOTE]

Ask 10 D owners this question and you'll likely get 10 different answers.
I think most would agree that the key is preventive maintenance. When the thing gets wet, lift the mat and dry it out. If it gets wet a lot, remove the mat altogether. (Floor mats, too.) Weatherproof does not mean maintenance free...

Some guys here have used spray on or brush on protectants such as rhinoliner to their beds. That topic has been covered here several times. Do a search and you'll get some good info to help you decide if that might be the right route for you....
Old November 28th, 2007, 05:56 PM
Happyxhour
Robert
94/Defender

Thanks for the input..the fact that being able to hose it out and drying it out works for me. Alredy keep up the preventive maintenance up to esnure there arent any excessive weathered areas or rust development in those well known spots.

Will do some searches..makes for good reading. Thanks!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
soft top