Soft top question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 20th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Hazard
David Hazard
95 D-90

Soft top question

So I bought my Defender a few months back and the owner never specified that it was originally a SW that had been converted to a ST. I unfortunately at the time didnt realize the change till after the transaction that it was a conversion, which doesnt bother me that much except for the fact that the top doesnt really fit...

Kind of a big issue... I cant get one side to pull down all the way because the top is so tight. The truck is a 95 and Im wondering if the tops from different years fit a little different. Who knows if this top was just a leftover the PO got cheap somewhere. I may have to go with another year top. Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Advertisement

Old October 20th, 2009, 09:23 AM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

If its the Best Top that's normal snce they were crappy tops and shrank over time. Try either waiting to put the top on when its been in the sun for a few hours or stick a heater in the back for a bit then try pulling the other side down. Or get a Badger Coachworks top. Well worth the money.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old October 20th, 2009, 10:43 AM
mjekogian
Michael Jekogian
1997/ Defender ST

Registry
X2 you would have the same problem if it was originally a ST. The BESTTOP's shrink. you can get them on it will just take you a few days. Warm sunny days are the best. and once you get it on don't take it off until spring. You can get a Fiberglass Hardtop for the winters or order a BADGER. the latter is what I recommend. Good Luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 20th, 2009, 12:06 PM
proulx70
Paul S.
1997 NAS BRG Soft-Top
D-90 Source Vendor

Yep, just wait for a warm sunny day. Lay the top over the vehicle and let the sun get at it. Since it's black it really doesn't take too long.

On a hot day you'll be surprised how easy it goes on.

P~
Old October 20th, 2009, 12:16 PM
TravelerBT
Philip Marshall
none - :*(

Registry
roverracks.com is making new Hard tops for the d 90's much better then the original crappy ones.

Andy is the guys to talk to over there.
Old October 20th, 2009, 12:41 PM
Hazard
David Hazard
95 D-90

Thanks for the feedback. May need to check out the badger one. I have tried to put this on in the middle of the summer with no luck either but its probably an original old ass top.
Old October 20th, 2009, 12:57 PM
Weldon
Weldon Pundt
"95" D-90

David,

Badger is the only way to go for a ST. I was so glad to get the rid of the BestTop, what a waste in my book. Chris at Badger is a great guy and easy to work with. And his products are well worth the wait, once you have in hand and on your truck you will know why.
Old October 20th, 2009, 04:30 PM
badgerman
Christopher Laws
1964 Land Badger
D-90 Source Vendor

David,

Do you have some photos of the soft top roll bar or cage set up? There could be some other issues there.

Chris
Badger Coachworks
Old October 20th, 2009, 04:45 PM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelerBT
roverracks.com is making new Hard tops for the d 90's much better then the original crappy ones.
We keep hearing this. Do they exist yet? Would be nice to at least see a pic. I just glanced at their website and didn't see anything.
Old October 20th, 2009, 05:00 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I posted pics awhile ago
Old October 20th, 2009, 05:41 PM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf
I posted pics awhile ago
Oops, my bad. Searched the roverracks site, but not here! Found 'em. Thanks, Barry.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
soft top