Soft Top Choice - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 7th, 2008, 04:18 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Hey Shane, if you plan on given that truck to your son in 16 years and 2 days, get a Badger top...it will probably be the only thing you won't have replaced when he's ready to drive. It's an apples to oranges comparison betweeen a Badger and anything else out there. All my jeep friends, who've seen mine, wish they could get a Badger top rather than the POS ones they have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 7th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Arnzo
Andrew Arnott
1997 Defender 90

As another reference point. I recently drove my D-90 to a fabricator that I contracted to replace the clear "windows" on my boat enclosure. Its a five panel enclosure with a section above the windshield, starboard and port panels and three aft facing panels. The cost for this job is $1,400. Keep in mind that this is just the clear sections and as far as I know, the sewing involved is pretty straight forward..not nearly as involved as a top for a D-90. Also, the owner of the shop owns two Jeeps and naturally was curious about my Defender. He was quite impressed with the quality of my top.
Old January 7th, 2008, 07:58 PM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

After hearing badgers story about RN ripping off his top design I almost want to just toss the RN top that came with my defender so I can buy a badger top....

I hate to even patronize RN if that's how they act... unfortunately they seem like the only source for a lot of stuff (do I keep searching to find another source or do I appreciate the fact that they seem to be actually trying to provide hard to find parts and reasonable prices.... argh)

I am, however, waiting for my badger catalog so I can order seat covers at least... the wait is excruciating....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 8th, 2008, 12:48 AM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Brad, depending on when that RN top was purchased, you just might have a Badger. If you take some pics and send them to Chris, he'll be able to tell you.

As far as patronizing RN, they aren't exactly the best price in town for a lot of stuff anyways, so it isn't hard to avoid them. The first person you want to start of with is George at RDS. From there, just post what you might be after, if someone on the forum doesn't have it, I'm sure you will atleast be pointed in the right direction.

Peace...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharris
After hearing badgers story about RN ripping off his top design I almost want to just toss the RN top that came with my defender so I can buy a badger top....

I hate to even patronize RN if that's how they act... unfortunately they seem like the only source for a lot of stuff (do I keep searching to find another source or do I appreciate the fact that they seem to be actually trying to provide hard to find parts and reasonable prices.... argh)

I am, however, waiting for my badger catalog so I can order seat covers at least... the wait is excruciating....
Old January 8th, 2008, 08:22 AM
JBOD77
Jonathan
1995 D90 ST Beluga Black

God reading this is making me droooool about my Badger. I can't wait till it gets here. Supposed to be the 2nd week in January......hope we're on time!
Old January 8th, 2008, 08:40 AM
RBees
Robert Bees
1994 D90 #8

Worth every penny...

Just to echo what everyone else here is saying in support of Badger, I replaced my OEM LR top with a Badger top last spring and have been very happy with it ever since. Since I have a 94 that came with those crappy snaps, the old top was not only loud but the tappity tap of snaps that pop off rapping against the body will drive anyone nuts. The Badger with the gutter kit makes the truck quieter, warmer (not 100% draft proof but then if you wanted that you'd buy a Corolla) and better looking. The belt rail system is a vast improvement and makes for fast rollup and down of the sides. My only beef (and this is minor) is that I can't roll up the tailgate flap - well I can roll it up, but the straps to attach it to the buckles are too fat and won't feed through the buckle completely to fasten it and stop it from rolling down again at speed... The easy solution for this is to just remove the zip out tailgate flap....

Anyways, I'm very happy with the investment made (and I see it as an investment) and would heartily recommend Badger and Chris to others..

Robert Bees
Woodstock VT

1994 D90 SW #8
2005 LR3 (The roof leaks more than my Defender. Really)
Old January 8th, 2008, 08:43 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

As far as an RN alternative, try Mike at LR West Chester in PA. He can get everything (gets stuff from the UK direct as well as LRNA and has relationships with other venders) and he is price competitive.
Old January 8th, 2008, 04:07 PM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBees
My only beef (and this is minor) is that I can't roll up the tailgate flap - well I can roll it up, but the straps to attach it to the buckles are too fat and won't feed through the buckle completely to fasten it and stop it from rolling down again at speed
I know what you're talking about and this how I fixed it. The fuzzy piece of velcro (that holds the strap up out of the way) that is sew onto the strap makes it too thick and it becomes a pain in the ass to feed back through the buckle. So what I did was sew a hook piece of velcro onto the straps in the correct spot such that the rolled up window is tight. This allows you to just loop the strap through the buckle once and then attach to itself on the newly sew on velcro. Hard to explain; if that doesn't make sense I can take a picture. Let me know.

In terms of a RN alternative, try Trevor at the Rovah Farm. He's found me NLA parts for my 110.

"Fossil Fuel Rapid Disposal Unit"
Old January 8th, 2008, 04:11 PM
RBees
Robert Bees
1994 D90 #8

Fix

That makes perfect sense. I'll give that a try when I bring the truck out of hibernation in the spring.

Thanks for the tip !
Old January 8th, 2008, 04:38 PM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfD90
I know what you're talking about and this how I fixed it. The fuzzy piece of velcro (that holds the strap up out of the way) that is sew onto the strap makes it too thick and it becomes a pain in the ass to feed back through the buckle. So what I did was sew a hook piece of velcro onto the straps in the correct spot such that the rolled up window is tight. This allows you to just loop the strap through the buckle once and then attach to itself on the newly sew on velcro. Hard to explain; if that doesn't make sense I can take a picture. Let me know.

In terms of a RN alternative, try Trevor at the Rovah Farm. He's found me NLA parts for my 110.

Great Idea! I have the same problem with my Badger II. I need to try that one.

97 D90 SW
Old January 8th, 2008, 04:46 PM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

No problem, glad to help. I also thought about sniping out the crossbar of the buckle with some side cutters so that it would be even easier to feed through, but doing that to my $3k top made me squeamish.

"Fossil Fuel Rapid Disposal Unit"
Old January 8th, 2008, 06:13 PM
badgerman
Christopher Laws
1964 Land Badger
D-90 Source Vendor

I'll take a look at that strap on the curtain to see what can be done to make it easier.

Chris
Badger Coachworks
Old January 8th, 2008, 06:25 PM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
I took an exacto in there and shaved a little out. VERY carefully, and it made it a little easier.

97 D90 SW
Old January 9th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
As far as an RN alternative, try Mike at LR West Chester in PA. He can get everything (gets stuff from the UK direct as well as LRNA and has relationships with other venders) and he is price competitive.

I'll second this. He has found a few parts others did not carry or was better on price.
Old January 9th, 2008, 02:14 PM
floyd650
Alex Lapidus
1994 D90 ST #1716

Follow-up

Just ordered my Badger I GK. I opted top have a sun roof put in as well. Here in Portland we don't really suffer from the "sun beating down on us" problem.
Old January 16th, 2008, 11:10 AM
d90boy
keith humphreys
aka: Mr Fancy Pants

Registry
what a great thread!!!

last week i had more defender 90 soft-tops with badger coachworks top than best tops!!!!!
5 badger soft-tops in a row.... its sad i didnt take a picture and email it to chris or post it here.
Old January 16th, 2008, 11:13 AM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

There is a great saying, "Buy the best and cry just once."

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
soft top