Soft Top Blew Off at Highway Speeds - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 1st, 2014, 10:40 AM
UTRPh
Danny V
94 D90 #1260

Registry
Possible source of the problem

Following suggestions made here & some of the recs I'd been given, I was gonna push the windshield forward. When I went to loosen the passenger side bolt that secures the gutter kit to the windshield, lo n behold there was no nut & bolt. A few months ago I had a familiar looking locknut fall to the PS floorboard. Looked around, nothin missing sez I & proceeded on my merry way. That was the locknut that held the bolt for the gutter kit-windshield point. I'm thinking this created the slack that allowed the windshield to get pushed back. When the truck passed me up deflating the top then got re-inflated in less than a minute, this slack allowed the bar in the channel to get sucked out & then the top comes off.
I did check the windshield channel it seems to be pretty straight & even all the way across but I am keeping an eye for that being a culprit too. I'll be looking for a new replacement in the meantime. I've done a few other things Chris/Badger suggested & still a couple others to be done. Lets see how this goes, will keep you posted. Thanx for all of the input.
Advertisement

Old September 4th, 2014, 06:05 PM
UTRPh
Danny V
94 D90 #1260

Registry
Interesting Update

Was at the monthly Houston Land Rover Club last nite & we were all talking about what we did for summer. One of the members has a 97 d90 & he casually asked about the top blowing off & how it scared the crap outta him too the first few times it happened to him. Say what!?! I asked. Turns out his ac went out on him on a Arizona trip a few years back and drove back with his windows open. He too had the deflation/inflation thing happen to him a few times & finally after 3-4 times his top came off in the middle & was only held in place by the snaps as well. He did the same thing, pulled over, cleaned his pants & seat, re-installed the leading edge in the header channel & proceeded down the road. Happened to him several times when he realized having the windows open was what seemed to be making it open. Replaced top, closed windows & no more incidents with over 1K miles to go. Hmm...
Interesting & a thought to keep in mind if y'all hear of this happening to someone else.
In the meantime proceeding with previous plans & gonna drive with AC on, windows closed.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
soft top, top