Soft Top and rainy weather - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 28th, 2004, 09:36 PM
ronward
Redsrover
None - sadly

Soft Top and rainy weather

Hi all, entering that time of the year when it seems to rain almost every afternoon. I drive a soft top and right now have the top off and stored in the garage. I can part at work in a three story parking garage downtown, so day time is fine. But going back and forth around town during the day (lunch, etc.) and the if I park on the street, I risk a pop-up thunderstorm daily. Just how weatherproof are these trucks? Mine is a 1997 and I have the waterproof seats and rubber mats, but I am most worried about water getting in the instruments or wrecking the auto tranny lever, stereo, etc. Rain worthy, or should I keep it water tight as possible? I'd seriously consider a fiberglass hardtop if the thing would then fit in the garage at home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 28th, 2004, 09:49 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I drive my 94 in the rain all the time without any problems! I also pressure wash the inside. I have a Tuffy box so I close it when it looks like rain; the gauges seem pretty wet tight although they fog up a bit after a heavy rain. Get an Absorber, it is a cloth/rubber thing used to dry cars and you can ring it out and itís completely dry. Put it over the auto tranny lever and it should keep it dry. You will also need it to dry everything off. Don't forget to dry off the top of the windshield as water stays up there and to wipe all top parts of the cage. Then keep it handy when driving in the rain as water tends to hit the back (inside) of the Wind screen and you will need to wipe it off every now and then.
Old June 29th, 2004, 10:05 AM
Krna
Andy Krna
1997 D-90 ST AA Yellow

Living in south florida durring the summer means rain, but i too drive all over with my top off. I have never had any problems, except for when the radio got wet. I have killed two radios due to my stupidity. So basically cover the radio the rest will be fine. In my D-90 I cover the radio and transmission (Also a 97 Auto) with a heavy duty black garbage bag (not open, just unfolded enough to cover it) and a few old towels. The towels are also handy to wipe the inside of the windshield down when driving in the rain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 29th, 2004, 10:59 AM
WillT
Will/Taylor
1997 Black D90

I have a similar question. Typically, I leave the top off and rain doesn't affect the truck too much at all. However, the other day I came home after it had rained a fair amount and there is an ongoing clicking sound in the truck now. The warning light for what looks like a rear windshield defroster lights up alongside a wierd clicking sound (electric shorting or somehting). Oddly enough it only starts making the noise when I open the door or move the truck at all. Any ideas? I think it must be electrical. The clicking sound is coming from the console area, anywhere from the Fuse Compartment to the gear box. It makes me think it's going to catch on fire or something.

-Will
Old June 29th, 2004, 06:19 PM
ronward
Redsrover
None - sadly

Sounds like a rear defroster switch located in the dash panel is shorting, or something.

Carrying the chamois ("Shammy") to absorb water is a great idea. I wonder if I can fashion some ghetto fab auto tranny panel cover from plastic sheeting and bungee cords...
Old June 29th, 2004, 08:21 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Link to clicking sound tread
I had this happen once. It went away after I turned the ignition key to on. The clicking was behind the instrument cluster and not from the center console.
Old June 30th, 2004, 10:48 AM
WillT
Will/Taylor
1997 Black D90

Thanks Dave,

Unfortunately, that is another sound. I get that clicking from time to time too and it goes away whenever I turn the truck on. This sound is much more erratic and worrisome. It really sounds like something is shorting out. I checked the rear window defroster light behing the odometer cluster and the connections are fine. Oh well, I can live with it I suppose.

-Will

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
soft top