Soft Top Alternative Roof Rack - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 5th, 2011, 01:02 AM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

Soft Top Alternative Roof Rack

O.k. so I wanted a safety device roof rack but just couldn't see shelling out the cash. I took the idea to my local machine shop (actually they are a Toyata truck race shop) and poked around on alternatives. I took my C hoop with me and told them what I wanted and if they could make me a rack that I could attach a basket or a roof top tent to. What the came up with was a new C hoop 1 piece the mounts exactly where the factory one does and the 2nd piece is 2 bars that mount to the C hoop and are welded to a Crossbar that mounts to the cage above the doors. I had an old tickford that I had modified to make 2 small holes for the C hoop mounts. I think the rack cost me about $600 and it bolts right up to the cantrails for added stability. If anyone has an interest I can post more pics. I included a shot with the roof top tent attached. The benefit is that I can bolt any size basket to it whereas I would have had to create sometype of mounting system with a Safety Device rack to hold the tent on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rack mount.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	40867   Click image for larger version

Name:	rack mount2.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	40868  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Roof top tent open.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	168.6 KB
ID:	40869  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 5th, 2011, 02:41 PM
3rovers
Dennis Yard
1993 NAS D-110 #55

Clay,

When I sold you that truck I had no idea it would create such a monster project!

Your wife must be really pissed at me for that.

BTW, love what you've done with the rack and roof tent. Let me know which shop you used because I need to replace the D110 cargo basket with a better rack suitable for a roof tent or other gear.
1993 NAS D-110 #55 (GNUTRUK)
2004 Disco II (DSCO DOG)
Old August 5th, 2011, 03:55 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

to dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rovers View Post
Clay,

When I sold you that truck I had no idea it would create such a monster project!

Your wife must be really pissed at me for that.

BTW, love what you've done with the rack and roof tent. Let me know which shop you used because I need to replace the D110 cargo basket with a better rack suitable for a roof tent or other gear.
Truck Shop on Miramar. I am not sure if you dealt with James or not but good guy and they produce nice products.

You sold me a perfectly fine truck. I just can't leave well enough alone - like having mechanical terets and the wife is pissed off at the money on spend on the truck not you. I could let her know that you put me up to all of the modifications but she wouldn't believe you.
The truck is at Premier as the tranny was leeking but the output shaft on the tranny was chewed. So I bought the R380 Rebuild kit from RDS and the output shaft from Rovah farm about $675 in parts and Mark at George's garage did the rebuild on it for $700. So hee hee I now have a rebuilt R380 for $1375. If you need a tranny rebuilt he is your guy.
Clay

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, rack, roof, roof rack, soft top