Soft top - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 11th, 2004, 01:16 PM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
Soft top

I was wondering what everyones thoughts are on the Rovers North soft top. My original Tickford has seen its last days. I really can't spend the cash for a Badger. I really like the way the tickford fits around the doors over the besttop. Any suggestions? The only thing I wish the rovers north top didn't have is those small windows on the back. I'm concerned about wear on those since they can't be replaced.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 11th, 2004, 01:29 PM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
Richard,

Find a sunroof/softtop repair place near you. There's one here local to me and I'm getting my tickford top ready for him to replace all of the 5 windows, fix all the seams and a few broken snaps, add a little bit of material on the rear (as mine kinda shortened) all for $300. He needs it for 5 days and when it's done, I'm sure it'll be ready for at least another 10 years.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 11th, 2004, 01:32 PM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
Glen,
I live in Philadelphia area where is your guy at? I also was wondering if there is anyway they could make all the windows zip out. That would be nice.
Rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 11th, 2004, 01:35 PM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
Rich,

He's in Hackensack (Bergen County). I would say about 1.5 - 2 hours from Philly. Let me know if I can help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 11th, 2004, 01:41 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

I agree with Glenn. I had mine repaired and modified for $120 and I think it was money well spent
Old June 11th, 2004, 01:43 PM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
Yeah, I think that is a good Idea. I had my rear window replaced but the guy I went to couldn't do the rest. Did either of you guys have the windows made to zip out?
Thanks
Old June 11th, 2004, 02:19 PM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
I didn't think of that option Rich, but am sure it can be done. I would have to ask him and I'll let you know.

Old June 11th, 2004, 02:51 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

I have a SW, but prior to getting the rover, Bestop made a zip in window and better yet a zip in screen window (I think) for jeeps, my previos truck. It really is just a matter of adding the zipper to the top and the window. Ask for YKK (or YYK, can't remember which offhand) outdoor zippers and make sure he seam seals the seams. Get seam seal for tents and apply it to your ST as well. My Upholster charged me 350 to fix and add zip windows to the softop 4 years ago. If he has questions, have him call Coleman or whomever and ask where to get the screen material to repair "your" tent with. That is what I did. I found a manufacturer that had a heavier and thicker mesh, but unfortunately have long since lost the contact info.

One word of caution, only use the screens when your wheeling. they can become a handful on the freeway. They worked really well in the summer when wheeling though. Nice to have with a Bimi top to keep the sun and bugs at bay.

EwS
Old June 11th, 2004, 03:11 PM
ronward
Redsrover
None - sadly

I have an original Bestop on my 1997 and it fits fine and the windows are clean and in good shape. Only problem is I wish the window could be rolled up like a series canvas top. Anyone have any ideas about making roll ups?
Old June 11th, 2004, 04:41 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Have a top shop add some straps and snaps onto your best top. I saw one like that at the dealer a while back. I would think it would be very easy and pretty cheap to do. The only bad thing would be while rolled up the plastic is rubbing against it self....
Old June 11th, 2004, 05:59 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Cambell,

The RN one is a badger. All it has is a roversnorth logo on it.

If you think you want one there is often a delay in getting one.

"could be rolled up like a series canvas top. Anyone have any ideas about making roll ups?"

LOL, Cambell wants zip outs (like besttop) and you want roll ups (like tickford)
Old June 11th, 2004, 07:41 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
LOL, Cambell wants zip outs (like besttop) and you want roll ups (like tickford)
The grass is always greener on the other side. I think that how it's said

Follow-up Post:

Thats funny. I just got an email from Hans (ZXBlade) with a picture of his 90 with the side windows rolled up on his bestop ST.

This is his reply. BTW, I tried uploading the picture with no luck. If anyone wants to see how he did it email me and I'll forward the picture to you.

Roll them toward the inside and they're jammed in by the top and the
sides. And they stay up.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, June 11, 2004 5:17 PM
To: zxblade@comcast.net
Subject: RE:

Hey how did you roll up your ST side windows?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
soft top