soft clutch...bleeding doesn't help? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 26th, 2013, 10:54 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
soft clutch...bleeding doesn't help?

So I am madly trying to get my defender up and running, and one strange thing I am experiencing is that the clutch pedal is very, very soft. In fact, without the return spring, it might not have any pressure at all.

Bleeding the clutch seems to work fine - I bled the air out of the system, but still no firmness to the pedal, as if the slave cylinder is not pushing against the clutch fork. I don't know if that is truly what is happening, but that is what it feels like.

Anyone have any ideas?

------ Follow up post added June 26th, 2013 11:00 PM ------

Out of curiosity....free play on the master cylinder...could this be the issue? How much free play should there be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 26th, 2013, 11:20 PM
roverx
Scott Preston
1969 Ser IIA Tdi Hybrid

You could have a bad master or slave cylinder. Easy to check. Clamp the rubber flex line between the slave cylinder and the hard point on the bulkhead. Then push down on the clutch pedal. If you have play it's most likely a bad master cylinder. If it's rock hard it's probably a bad slave cylinder. Both easy to replace.
2003 VW Jetta wagon 1.9 Tdi 5 speed
1995 Range Rover Classic 300 Tdi SoftDash (My Son's)

"Be the person your dog thinks you are"
Old June 27th, 2013, 08:43 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Excellent Advice!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverx View Post
You could have a bad master or slave cylinder. Easy to check. Clamp the rubber flex line between the slave cylinder and the hard point on the bulkhead. Then push down on the clutch pedal. If you have play it's most likely a bad master cylinder. If it's rock hard it's probably a bad slave cylinder. Both easy to replace.
Also have found best results to change them in pairs.
Usually find when you install a new cylinder, the other one soon fails due to the extra performance and or requirements of the new cylinder. Happens more often when you change out the master and not the slave, but it also happens the other way around.
So again, for best results renew both cylinders together and installing a new hose won't hurt any, that's for sure.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions