Soft brakes - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 19th, 2006, 01:25 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

Soft brakes

The truck is a 110 some 95 parts some 98 parts... four wheel disks. I noticed after running some trails this weekend in tahoe that after areas where the truck gets a bit flexy the brakes get soft. It takes one pump to get them stiff again. I'm running an OME heavy duty all around with stock brake lines and no sway bars. I have never had this problem before so I can't imagine that my brake lines are being streatched... or mabye they are and it is getting bad... any suggestions? (yes, I bled them)

I'm going to switch to braided lines soon but wanted to get this figured out before i start switching components.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 19th, 2006, 01:46 PM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

check your bearing, if they are loose they push the pads back and then need a pump or two to get your brakes working

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 19th, 2006, 04:22 PM
D90user
steve

Bearings are tight and reasonably new.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 19th, 2006, 04:39 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Is muck getting between the pads and disc?
It pushes the pads away from the disc and then they feel soft and need pumping a couple of times to restore normal operation
Get it all twisted up and then actually check the lines to see if they are getting stretched. I run +2" springs & shocks on standard turrets up front with extended lines and +2"springs,+1"shocks with the top shock mounts lowered 2" on a standard hose at the back
Old June 19th, 2006, 04:47 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I have the exact same problem. I run braided lines and my system otherwise is up to spec. I have personally checked and rechecked all my bearings and they are all tight. I have had this problem now for 2 years and have redone the bearings 3 times to no avail. They currently are all tight, even jacking up the truck and checking for play. It only happens, just like you, when getting flexy. The only thing that I can think of is still some wheel bearing slop, and my guess would be from the front--if it was warped rotors, then you would see that more than just when flexing (I think). Same with air in the lines. I am tired of redoing my bearings, so I have largely ignored the problem.

I sure hope we get it figured out, though.
Old June 19th, 2006, 06:40 PM
D90user
steve

Mike- No muck, dry tahoe rock

Chris- Same with me on the bearings... I replaced all four wheels a couple months ago... everything is still tight and no wiggle when jacked up at all. Just to clarify... you had the problem then switched to steel braided and no change? Also are you braided longer?

I woudl really like to figure this one out being that it is the brakes... but if it has been doing it to you for a while and no failure that is good to know.

I may switch to 2+ on the brake lines just for peace of mind... anyone have an opinion on which ones to go with... I was thinking EE.
Old June 19th, 2006, 06:51 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I have extended brake lines (SS) all around. I don't recall what was happening before, though. I have also done articulation checks to make sure nothing is pulled or stretched, so not that.

Dry trails for me, too, so not muck.

I don't think I can get my bearings any tighter withough binding. They are tapered bearings, so they can take a lot of load, though...

What do you think about swivel ball preload? I don't think so because I believe the Rotor/brakes are attached post swivel from a load point of view...I will have to take a look after work. Also, if it were slightly loose bearings, I think it would happen to a lot more people than just us two!
Old June 19th, 2006, 07:15 PM
D90user
steve

I think your right on the "if it were slightly loose bearings, I think it would happen to a lot more people than just us two!" it seems like most rovers out there are a bit on the loose side and mine are tight.

I don;t think the swivel preload could effect the braking except for some shimmy when stopping and or vibration becuase it would not cause the brake rotor to move and push the piston back. although I could be wrong. My swivle pins are getting a bit on the worn side and I can feel some movement when I have the truck up but nothing major. That could be it but I don;t see how.

I also notice it if I am hauling ass on a dirt road and get some ups and downs, or just really bad washboard. do you think there is any bit in the master cylinder that could be jarred or at fault. I have never taken apart a rover master cylinder but may be in the future ;(
Old June 20th, 2006, 12:58 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I don't think it is the master cylinder at all. I really think it has something to do with the bearings and races--I just don't see how anything else could effect it.
Old June 20th, 2006, 10:40 AM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
I have the same problem only I have a 130 with a little more weight to stop. Lots of travel in the brake pedal and need to pump it to make it feel firm. I have changed the bearings, brake fluid, pads and shoes. The drums and rotors are in good shape.
I just cant figure it out either. I'm stumped.
Old June 20th, 2006, 05:21 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Is a disc slightly out of true? that might force the pads away from the rotor but would tend to happen on the road as well.
Does this fault only occur in an off-road situation?
Old June 20th, 2006, 07:31 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I thought about the rotors and checked them with my mic, but they are true. Plus, you would think on the open road, that they would have the same issue, especially on long trips like I take. I get nothing on the road, or on the trail until I get flexed--particularly heading downhill over rocks, which leads me to think something in the front (since it takes major weight off-axis while turning).

No offense to everyone else, but I was hoping most people had this problem--misery loves company! ;-)

I am going to tear into it this weekend to try and figure this crap out.
Old June 20th, 2006, 08:13 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

FWIW my D90 has always had the same issue from new. If the bearings get loose it gets worse but after any long flexy downhill it has a slightly lower pedal for the first pump, fine after that. I put it down to the fact that in that situation I am side loading the bearings with a lot of force and using the tire and wheel as a lever acted on by the weight of the truck to do it...and pushing the pads in slightly as a result. The bearings aren't loose but I am applying way more force than I can by hand and causing the parts and everything to flex a bit more than it does on the road. I gave up worrying about it about 8 years ago.
Old June 20th, 2006, 10:39 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

See, that is what I want to hear! I hope a couple more people will say the same thing (just cut and paste what Rob said) and I will feel all better. I just don't want to be "special"... ;-)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
brake