Soft Brake Pedal Issue.... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 28th, 2007, 04:23 PM
greend90SW
DLJ
1995 D90 SW #367

Soft Brake Pedal Issue....

I am experiencing a brake issue i am having difficulty running down. I am losing brake pressure after making any series of turns resulting in a soft pedal that goes approx. 1/3 to 1/2 way to the floorboard before getting any response from the brakes. The pedal responses normally on straightaway driving; ie no soft pedal, press=brakes, instead of press=wait for brakes (very unnerving).

I have dealt with almost the exact same problem before, which was loose front hub nuts, after replacing the front rotors. Pulled everything and retightened the hub nuts properly and issue was gone.

First thing i checked when this current brake problem arose was the hubs front and rear, all tight. My old land rover tech before i starting doing all the repair/maintenance myself suggested that the rubber brake lines at the swivel may have developed a bubble in the rubber causing a loss of pressure, checked those lines, all good.

I searched the forum and couldn't find anyone reporting a similar issue. I hope i have explained the problem well enough.

Any ideas guys? I am probably missing something simple.

DLJ

Follow-up Post:

A bit of info i left out. I did replace the wheel bearings when i replaced the front rotors. When i pulled apart the front hubs to check for hub nut tightness i also checked the new bearings on the drivers side and they looked normal, no scoring or signs of wear (had about 20-30 miles on them). I thought they might have been damaged from the prior loose hub nuts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 28th, 2007, 04:53 PM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

did you replace the bearing right, if you have a wobble in a wheel it pushes the pads back resulting in a few pumps of the pedal to get pressure

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 28th, 2007, 05:20 PM
greend90SW
DLJ
1995 D90 SW #367

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy salmon
did you replace the bearing right, if you have a wobble in a wheel it pushes the pads back resulting in a few pumps of the pedal to get pressure
The new bearings and races went back in the way the old ones came out.

Certainly i am aware that a wobble will push the pistons back and cause the need for double/triple pumps to push the pads back on the rotor, that was what was happening with the loose hub nuts after the rotors and bearings were replaced. I managed to diagnose and fix that instance of the soft pedal.

Thanks for the input Jimmy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 29th, 2007, 02:25 AM
imola
John
97 D90 SW

did you bleed the brakes as well? maybe try to bleed them again.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
brake