Soft brake after reversing - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 20th, 2014, 09:44 PM
JKC
John
1997 D-90

Soft brake after reversing

So here's my problem. Brakes work fine in drive. When I go in reverse, they work fine as well,but right when I go back into drive I have a very soft brake and need to pump it up to restore braking power. Then it is never lost unless I go in reverse again. Have bled the brakes but still there. Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 20th, 2014, 10:23 PM
carlosz
Carlos
frank stein "frankie" in action RIP

Registry
defective proportioning/biasing valve perhaps...
Old December 21st, 2014, 10:41 AM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90

Registry
Maybe a loose wheel bearing causing the pistons in the calipers to compress more when you change direction?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 21st, 2014, 11:14 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Check to see if the level in your master cylinder is low. When the car changes direction the fluid can slosh and expose the intake port on the M/C. Ask me how I know...

If it is low, you can fill it, then get any residual air out of the M/C by cracking the lines while someone holds the pedal down. Best wrap a rag around the line to keep brake fluid from getting everywhere.
Old December 21st, 2014, 12:06 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Couple of things as I see you are in Florida.

1. In your humid environment, you should be changing your fluid every year. As you probably know the fluid
actually pulls moisture out of the air & that moisture will rust everything in the brakes system.
2. For over 20 years I have had great success in bleeding my brakes with a MitiVac (only 1 person needed to do
this). I 1st suck as much old fluid out of the reservoir as possible & replace with new. Then I go to the
longest break line run &, with the vac, suck the fluid out of the bleeder until it's clean. This method allows for
NO air to enter the system.
Old December 21st, 2014, 03:42 PM
Dogpilot
James Wallace
Defender 90 1997 NAS ST

Registry
I second the bearing as well. Jack up all four wheels after you reverse and see which caliper has the most clearance on the pads to rotor. This would be the wheel with suspect bearings. It may also clunk when you try to lift the wheel while jacked up.
Old December 23rd, 2014, 10:36 PM
JKC
John
1997 D-90

Thanks for the advice. Early January I am planning to work on the swivel balls as I have some death wobble issues. I'll add to the list to flush the entire brake system and have a look at all the wheel bearings. I'll let you know what I come up with.
Old December 24th, 2014, 08:36 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKC View Post
Thanks for the advice. Early January I am planning to work on the swivel balls as I have some death wobble issues. I'll add to the list to flush the entire brake system and have a look at all the wheel bearings. I'll let you know what I come up with.
Have you got rear drums?
Old December 25th, 2014, 01:49 PM
JKC
John
1997 D-90

It's a 97. All discs.
Old December 26th, 2014, 12:27 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

I think it might be helpful if you did a little more diagnostic work. I can't imagine it's that act of shifting into reverse but instead something you're doing while backing up. what happens if you back up in a straight line? What happens if you put he handbrake on and just shift between drive and reverse with out moving or touching the brakes pedal? do the brakes go to the floor then? Do they only go to the floor if your reversing like in a K turn or something?

I had a problem for a while where my brakes would bleed down if I shifted into low range. Wasn't the t-case obviously, it was that i only shifted into low when off road and the bouncing caused wobble in the bearings and spread that pads apart. I imagine this is something similar.
Old December 26th, 2014, 01:20 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Assume brake fluid level and type is correct.
Was any brake work performed before this started?
Wondering whether the pins or slides are seizing temporarily.
Its pretty weird what ever it is!

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old December 26th, 2014, 10:53 PM
JKC
John
1997 D-90

Yes, very wierd. It's been happening for so long I do no recall the circumstances when it started. I have correct fluid and it's all full. I've just become used to it. But just had a Valet guy who told me I need to get my brakes checked bc they do not work very well. That's bc he backed up. By the time I got in they worked fine. I'll try to track if it happens in both a turning situation as well as a straight line. Either way, in a week I'm flushing the entire system with new fluid, checking all wheel bearings, and checking swivel pins. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old December 27th, 2014, 01:38 PM
carlosz
Carlos
frank stein "frankie" in action RIP

Registry
Check out that the push pin to the master cylinder has the proper travel and length...have seen this issue in discos.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
brake